Announcing new to me T-50 + pickup question

Jerry1

Reaction score
Hi Guild guys and gals (G3)

Name's Jerry from northern Minnesota and I just bought a Guild T-50 on Reverb. It's a 1960 model with Bigsby. I bought it because I'm an old guy reliving my early years and one of my friends played a T-50 w/o the Bigsby back in the early '60's. It's arriving tomorrow and then I'll let it warm up before I unpackage it. Possibly the pictures are still on Reverb if anyone cares to look. I'd like to say I'll be posting pictures, but I'm doing this on a Kindle Fire and it gives me a headache to try to figure technology out. Maybe someone can help with the Kindle process?
My question is about the pickup on my new baby. The seller (great guy at MidMap Guitar) said he didn't think it was an original pickup. He said it's a P-90 and there's a number on it CK82 space 9265119. It's got a white cover. What pup should be original to this guitar and what color should it be?
I'm going to have more questions once I own it for awhile (this is my first vibrato), but for now, nice to meet you folks and talk with you later.
Jerry

Reaction score
That is a Franz , just the 60's version not the 50's that had the non rounded bobbin. I do not know when the change occurred with those.

Neal

Reaction score
An early T-50 would have come equipped with a Franz single coil pickup under a white dog-ear cover. The Franz was very similar to a P-90, but built by a different manufacturer (in Astoria, Queens, NY) and with (generally) fewer windings than a P-90. Said to be a little brighter by folks that have played both from the '50's and early '60's.

Reaction score
Welcome Jerry, we have several members from MN. Enjoy your new old guitar.
Thanks john

Reaction score
I'm curious about your T-50. I also have one (blonde) with a vibrato, but they seem to be exceedingly rare. I think mine is from 1969, but I'm not certain because the serial number is EB 654 and the official list of numbers for the model ends at EB 652

Jerry1

Reaction score
Hi merrillrubin.
Can't tell you much new about my T-50 other than I love it. I usually play it as an acoustic. Mine was sold as a 1960, but some things I've read lead me to believe it might be a year or two newer than that. No matter, it is what it is and that's fine with me.
I'll bet your blonde T-50 is a beauty and I'd like to buy one some day but I think they're pretty rare, especially in nice condition. Good luck with yours.
Jerry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Guild guys and gals (G3)

Name's Jerry from northern Minnesota and I just bought a Guild T-50 on Reverb. It's a 1960 model with Bigsby. I bought it because I'm an old guy reliving my early years and one of my friends played a T-50 w/o the Bigsby back in the early '60's.

Hello Jerry,

Welcome!

Jerry1 said:
My question is about the pickup on my new baby. The seller (great guy at MidMap Guitar) said he didn't think it was an original pickup. He said it's a P-90 and there's a number on it CK82 space 9265119. It's got a white cover. What pup should be original to this guitar and what color should it be?

That is a Franz , just the 60's version not the 50's that had the non rounded bobbin. I do not know when the change occurred with those.

An early T-50 would have come equipped with a Franz single coil pickup under a white dog-ear cover.

From your description I would say you have one of the single coils that were made by Todd.
If that's the case 1960 would be a little early for that pickup; it could be a replacement or possibly a later date of assembly.

Once you get the guitar, let me know the serial number and I might be able to tell you a little more about the guitar.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

Jerry1

Reaction score
Hi Hans,
Serial number is 14021 on the label and on the head stock. The label is oval with the Guild shield on top, and Hoboken but no USA on the bottom. BTW, I have your Guild book and it looks to me that my guitar is a late 1960 or early 1961.
Thanks for your help.
Jerry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Hans,
Serial number is 14021 on the label and on the head stock. The label is oval with the Guild shield on top, and Hoboken but no USA on the bottom. BTW, I have your Guild book and it looks to me that my guitar is a late 1960 or early 1961.

Hello Jerry,

Yes, that would be a very late 1960 model and most likely not completed before 1961. However, that would still make it early for a Todd pickup, so let's wait 'till you have received the guitar and hopefully you can post some photos. We can guess as much as we like, but I would rather look at the details and draw my conclusions on the basis of what I can see.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited: