New member with a '66 Starfire II

Reaction score
Finally picked one of these up, they're very hard to come by in Australia!

It's a 1966, serial #EK-1322, and unlike the photo now has a Guildsby on it (thankfully a fully reversible mod!)

Apart from a rattly truss rod it's in tip top shape!

NK2R4gW.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats! That looks to be in stellar condition.

DeluxeToneJim

Reaction score
Great pick for a first Guild - straight to a classic SF from Hoboken :)
I'm also from Australia so it's great to see another Guild owner from south of the equator on here!
Cheers - Jim.

Zelja

Reaction score
Welcome Laservampire & agree, with DTJ, super pick for a first Guild. Hoboken hollowbodies are very cool indeed. Was it found locally? Love to see pics with the Guildsby (& where did you get it BTW, new part or vintage?).

There are a few of us Aussies on the board, though not as active recently.

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Yes I found it locally, a friend had bought it from the US a few years back and I've been pestering him to buy it ever since I first saw it! The Bigsby is NOS from the old US factory when it closed, I think there's still a pile of those on eBay.

I was thinking of getting an aluminium bridge to complete the SF3 look but it holds tune so well with the Hagstrom bridge I'm not going to bother.

I fell in love with the old Starfires after playing a '65 years ago in a music store, at the height of the vintage guitar market, so it was close to AU$4k at the time. Then once I found out it was the guitar used on so many Kinks recordings and the first Grateful Dead album I knew I had to find one.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, and congratulations on your beautiful SF-ll. I know you'll enjoy it.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! You might try snugging up the truss rod. If its rattle-y, then it doesn't have any tension on it. Tighten it without forcing it should snug it up without changing the relief.

Reaction score
Welcome! You might try snugging up the truss rod. If its rattle-y, then it doesn't have any tension on it. Tighten it without forcing it should snug it up without changing the relief.

When I got it the relief was set dead straight with the truss rod quite tight, but the rattle was still there. Luckily it's only audible when I hit the low E quite hard.

I'll get some more pics up today!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Can't remember if I've ever seen a Guildsby paired with a Hagstrom bridge before…though I admit to not often paying attention to vibrato details. :) Looks sharp in any case!

-Dave-

Sal

Reaction score
The Guild red finish with that mahogany is stunning. Great guitar!

Zelja

Reaction score
Can't remember if I've ever seen a Guildsby paired with a Hagstrom bridge before…though I admit to not often paying attention to vibrato details. :) Looks sharp in any case!

-Dave-
I like it too & am sure it sounds better than the standard aluminium Bigsby bridges/bases (don't like them at all, sound ratty to me).

Reaction score

I like it too & am sure it sounds better than the standard aluminium Bigsby bridges/bases (don't like them at all, sound ratty to me).

Not only does it sound good, the tuning stability when using the Bigsby is amazing! I prefer the look of the Hagstrom bridge myself.