Incoming NGD and question - Corona Bluesbird Tobacco Burst!

hoyt54

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been a member of the forum for a couple years and lurking much longer than that. I first caught the Guild bug around 2012 when HelloMusic had some of the Bluegrass Jubilee guitars on clearance for something like $1400 but I had just missed out on them before they sold. The next year I was about to buy a Bluesbird locally from Craigslist until a car accident and a baby in the same month changed those plans. Well, here we are, and I just pulled the trigger on this one about 10 minutes ago! https://reverb.com/item/4035043-gui...uitar-tobacco-sunburst-flame-maple-w-ohsc-usa

I have a question. Many of the Bluesbirds I've seen from Corona don't have the Fender logo on the back of the headstock, but this one does. Some have the custom shop logo, this one doesn't. Anyone know the deal with that? I did some searches here and elsewhere but there didn't seem to be a consensus. I'm not even sure what year this would have been built. Serial number is CM000111. Anyways, this thing looks absolutely breathtaking in the pictures, can't wait until it's shipped from Ohio to California. Hoping it's not one of the absolutely massive necks but we'll see, the ad says a slightly fuller C neck.

A7pufji.jpg

22xqeVS.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! Don't see many tobacco burst 'Birds. Hans should be able to tell yo0u the date, that period is a little grey when it comes to the available charts.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a NGD Hoyt! The Fender Corona Sticker on the back of the headstock was something they put on regular production Bluesbirds. There were some that were built collectively in the Custom Shop and they have the Custom Shop "V" logo under the clear on the back of the headstock. Finally there were a few that were built by individual Master Builders in the Custom Shop and those had the Fender Custom Shop "V" logo with the Master Builders signature across the "V" under the clear coat on the back of the headstock. Regardless all late 90's and Early 2000's Bluesbirds like yours have extremely High quality builds and are wonderful instruments. Best of Luck with it!

TX

hoyt54

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll report back once I have it in hand and put some time into playing it. Going to be a good week with this and a Kauer Titan KR1 custom guitar coming in :)

Oh, the other thing that confused me was Chicago Music Exchange have a Bluesbird listed as a 2009, I didn't think they were still being made at that point... Serial number there is CM000679 and has no Fender or Custom Shop markings https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/guild-bluesbird-sunburst-2009-s679

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll report back once I have it in hand and put some time into playing it. Going to be a good week with this and a Kauer Titan KR1 custom guitar coming in :)

Oh, the other thing that confused me was Chicago Music Exchange have a Bluesbird listed as a 2009, I didn't think they were still being made at that point... Serial number there is CM000679 and has no Fender or Custom Shop markings https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/guild-bluesbird-sunburst-2009-s679

That Bluesbird was made in Corona California between 2002 and 2004. One giveaway is the original case has a green interior that they only used in Corona. CME has it listed wrong on their website. Guild ceased production of American made Electrics in 2004 when the Guild Corona Facility stopped production. Guild moved to Tacoma after that and did not make any Electrics out of Tacoma. The next American made Guild Electrics to be produced were made in New Hartford, Connecticut as a GSR line around 2011-2012. Guild also made a very few American Made American Patriarch series guitars in New Hartford as well towards the end of production there. Hope that helps,

TX

hoyt54

Reaction score
Interesting, I thought that had to be off. Thanks for the clarification, TX!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I thought that had to be off. Thanks for the clarification, TX!

Welcome aboard, Hoyt!
Betcha that CME date was a based on somebody mistaking a "4" for a "9", and maybe understandably not a Guild history expert..
A long time ago Hans Moust mentioned that they did stop applying the "Handcrafted" sticker at some point but he wasn't sure exactly when at the time, probably late '03, going by my D40.
I suspect they just ran out of 'em and were already eyeballing the move to Tacoma so didn't re-order.
I took mine off my D40 because I figured it'd just wind up leaving a gummy mess on the finish after a few years, but I see 'em as a "mark of authenticity" now.
Edit: Oh yeah, foggy memory says everybody reports nice "chunky" necks on Corona Bluesbirds. Think you'll be happy!

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice guitar. I've owned a few Bluesbirds including some Coronas and they have all been stellar instruments.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A beauty! Love the finish - congratulations! :encouragement:

walrus

hoyt54

Reaction score
Thanks guys! And GAD, your posts/reviews here and on TheGearPage and your website the past several months have made it very hard to resist a Bluesbird -- thanks!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks guys! And GAD, your posts/reviews here and on TheGearPage and your website the past several months have made it very hard to resist a Bluesbird -- thanks!

Glad I could help feed the fever!

Now if only I made even a dollar off of all that work. Perhaps if I didn't loath online ads I'd be in the black. :tickled_pink:

Actually I end up losing money but I just love buying Guilds so I might as well help people as I do it. It's kind of a tool to keep me writing every day which seems to have worked so far.

hoyt54

Reaction score
Well this guitar is a real beauty! Except two caveats, that is. The pots are very scratchy (all four knobs produce a fair amount of crackling noise when turned) and the neck pickup tone knob is broken (it's clearly a replacement already and is all cracked and the silver logo part was loose, flopping around the case; definitely should be replaced if I can find one which I currently can't). Seller did not disclose any of that, which is unfortunate. There's also some cracking in the lacquer on both sides of the nut but nothing serious so I'm not bothered by that.

But wow this guitar sounds fantastic! I've been without a humbucker guitar for a couple years now, I almost forgot how they play! I love it. I've been using mostly TV Jones-equipped guitars as well as a Jazzmaster and Jaguar in the past year+, so no proper humbuckers. I'm really digging the full, round sound with these humbuckers. Even the bridge on its own sounds fantastic, and not overly thin and brittle like most bridge humbuckers I've had in the past.

So far the neck is not at all too big, but it is a little bigger than my other two current guitars (both of which are custom Calumet Stronzetta guitars with bolt-on maple necks). It might feel a little more similar to the Gretsch G6112 I just sold last month. So far I find it comfortable but we'll see when I'm playing multiple sets at my church next weekend. Looking forward to showing this one off!

If you have a lead on a clear knob, let me know. If I can't find one, I may just change all four for something different altogether. Anyone know the shaft length of these in case I need to buy a different kind of knob? Thanks!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am Glad You like it and Congrats on it Getting there! Personally I would call the store you got it from and ask why those issues you are having were not Disclosed in the Ad. For the price in their ad on Reverb that Bluesbird should be in Immaculate condition both in appearance and electronics wise. The electronics should have worked great without scratchiness unless they mentioned that in the ad. They should also be responsible for fixing this or reimbursing you for the repairs to get it up to optimal working condition (which you were under the impression it was already in when you purchased it).

One thing you mentioned that has me a bit worried is the Finish cracks on both sides of the string nut. This is a somewhat serious tell tale sign and is indicative of the Guitar taking a hit to the headstock at some point in time whether it was in shipping or prior to your purchase. If the finish cracks are starting to/or appear to be running down the side of the neck from the nut this can indicate that the Fretboard is starting to separate from the Neck itself which is also common with a hit to the headstock. While it may not seem like a big deal this can effect neck adjustments and every time you adjust truss rod it will make the separation less and less stable. This is a Big Red Flag for me personally when I buy a used guitar.

I Know you love the guitar and they way it sounds so personally I would call the store and let them know what all is going on with the guitar, ask why they did not disclose these issues, and ask what they are willing to do to make things right with you the customer. If they are unwilling to partially refund part of the purchase price I would consider sending the guitar back to them for a full refund and finding another one. If you purchased it through Reverb you should have buyer protection. If you purchased it straight through the store then it is up to Store policy. Most Store Owners would rather have a happy customer than trying to resell a guitar after dealing with return shipping.

I hope it all works out for you and it sounds like once you get everything in great shape it will be a keeper!

TX

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
TX is right on here. That seller is everywhere and my guess is that they'll do right by you. Either get a discount or return it if it's not as advertised.