Guilds Abound at Open Mic

Neal

Reaction score
Monday night, there were four really fine Guilds at our local open mic. Our fellow LTG member Rich Cohen brought a beautiful New Hartford era F-412, on which he paid a touching tribute to a friend from long ago who died while serving in the Peace Corp in India.

Another buddy of mine played his well-worn Westerly D-25.

I played my '54 X-50.

And some guy we have never heard before played an incredible jazz tune on a New Hartford F-50 Standard. Turns out he is a professional touring musician.

I approached him afterwards, and he explained that he ditched his J-200 when he discovered the F-50.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
There must have a few curious patrons when you pulled out the '54 X-50! Not a common sight at an open mic!

walrus

Neal

Reaction score
Yeah, especially because I played a real rocker on it.

Here's the set up: There is a house band (electric guitar, fretless electric bass and a very small drum kit). The guys in the band are really good at learning your song (which must be an original) in about 30 seconds. Then you count it off, and it goes either really well, OK, or is a real train wreck! But everyone there knows that it is all about taking risks.

Last year, I wrote 42 new songs for Monday night, playing each of them for the first time in front of an audience. It is terrifying, and a rush. It has also contributed greatly to my growth as a 58-year-old newbie performer.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
From one 58 year old to another, that sounds like a blast!

walrus

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I have to thank Neal for supporting me at the Monday open mics here in Charlottesville. Every week there is a declared theme by the backup band on which one's original song can be composed. However, you don't have to write a song about the theme. But the song needs to be an original. It's a lot of fun, and, as Neal says, the backup band is really good at learning one's original in about 30 seconds!

Neal

Reaction score
Chaz, some of the songs I wrote last year, upon further reflection, are crap.

But some are good. And at least 10-15 are worth investing in a professional recording session. That is my goal this year, along with writing another 30 or so.

I have a lot of feelings...

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That all sounds like great fun!

Neal

Reaction score
Wrote one in a boring meeting yesterday. To everyone else, it looked like I was taking meticulous notes!