That blows.......

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Always been a big fan of Al Jarreau.... he's gone at 76.
RIP Al, I miss you already.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He was a friend of some friends of mine back in LA. Got to hang with him some at a couple of parties and just chat. Super nice guy, extremely down to earth and easy to talk to. This is very sad..... RIP Al. Your voice will be missed. :dispirited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Super nice guy, extremely down to earth and easy to talk to.

Yup. My wife met him at an airport once, as they were on the same flight and he immediately started a conversation with her, asking her what she was doing, and when she told him she was a teacher, he blessed her with his hand, like a priest.... lol....

Not to mention his talent, loved his grooves, and he was always surrounded by top notch musicians.

On my early road trips I always made sure I had an Al Jarreau CD in the pile.....

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, great clip! Jarreau's voice was such an incredible instrument. No digital tweaking, no autocoder, no lip-syncing.

Sigh...

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seeing him was long on my bucket list, and we finally did in October, 2015 at Maryland Hall in Annapolis. Old, frail, weak, and totally incandescent, buoyed by the waves of love coming from the audience. One of the most memorable live performances we've seen.

I bought his astounding live album, Look to the Rainbow right after it came out in '77, and it always has a place in the music rotation. He does things with his voice that defy belief - on one cut he sounds like a flute, complete with overtones.

[Note: The CD version of Look to the Rainbow has some unfortunate edits for length (it is a double-LP on vinyl). If you have a turntable, get the LP and not the CD.]

Godspeed, Mr. Jarreau, and thanks.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'd heard that Mr. J. wasn't well… Got to see him perform at Earl Klugh's Weekend Of Jazz in S. Carolina a few years ago. Great stuff! But a sad day today.

-Dave-