Made in USA, nothing further...

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When did Guild inside stickers say Made in USA, but no other city/state location? (example on reverb.)

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Perhaps in the 80s' when another company took over Guild production ? Can't be sure cause from my understanding Guild has been owned by several before the Guild company it's with now . My Guild D35NT was made in 81' made in Westerly, R.I. , so it must have been after mine was made .

IMG_8129 by Ron Hodges, on Flickr

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Perhaps in the 80s' when another company took over Guild production?
Wouldn't exactly say "Another company took over production", it implies a change of personnel and/or location which didn't actually happen although it's an interetsing observation about the label change maybe coinciding with a new owner.
Guild built 'em at Westerly from '67 through '01 although it's true the company itself underwent changes of ownership during that time.
Can't be sure cause from my understanding Guild has been owned by several before the Guild company it's with now . My Guild D35NT was made in 81' made in Westerly, R.I. , so it must have been after mine was made .
They were bought by Avnet Corp in '66, the rest is best recapped in this excerpt from the BLuebook of Guitar values:
"In mid August of 1986, Avnet sold Guild to a management/investment group from New England and Tennessee. Officers of the newly formed Guild Music Corporation included company President Jerre R. Haskew (previously Chief Executive Officer and President of the Commerce Union Bank of Chattanooga Tennessee), Executive Vice President of Plant and Operations George A. Hammerstrom, and Executive Vice President of Product Development and Artist Relations George Gruhn (Gruhn later left the company in early 1988).
Unfortunately, the remaining members of the investment group defaulted on bank obligations in November of 1988, leading to a court supervised financial restructuring. The Faas Corporation of New Berlin, Wisconsin (now U.S. Musical Corporation) bought Guild in January 1989. Solid body guitar production was discontinued in favor of acoustic and acoustic-electric production (a company strength) although some electric models were reissued in the mid-1990s.
Guild was purchased by FMIC in 1995. Guild introduced more solid body electrics and models were based on memorable Guild models from earlier years (i.e. Starfire, X Series, etc). In 1997, Guild opened a new Custom Shop in Nashville, Tennessee. In 2001 production was moved to Corona, CA. By 2006,"

So the label changes don't seem to coincide with any ownership changes, but it was a good question.
Fender finally sold the brand and its intellectual properties and even a fair amount of production equipment to current owners Cordoba Music Group in 2014.

Think Neal's correct on this as "early Westerly", I know it's covered in Hans' book (The Guild Guitar Book) which I don't have handy, but pretty sure once they started saying "Westerly" on the label it said it until production was moved to Corona, CA, and Tacomas say Tacoma, and New Hartfords say New Hartford.
In fact some early Westerly guitars still had "Hoboken" labels until '70.
Your s/n does jibe perfectly as an '81 according to their records, but I think a "Made in USA" only label preceded yours, not followed.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When did Guild inside stickers say Made in USA, but no other city/state location? (example on reverb.)
That's linking to an F50 but I don't see a pic of label?
In any case I think you mean one like this:
096%20Guild%20X-500S%20008%20Label.jpg

That s/n would be '75 according to Guild's charts, there's another one one for an M75 that would correspond to '73.
Aha, this is what I was looking for:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?189085-78-Guild-D-25-label

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Wouldn't exactly say "Another company took over production", it implies a change of personnel and/or location which didn't actually happen although it's an interetsing observation about the label change maybe coinciding with a new owner.
Guild built 'em at Westerly from '67 through '01 although it's true the company itself underwent changes of ownership during that time.

They were bought by Avnet Corp in '66, the rest is best recapped in this excerpt from the BLuebook of Guitar values:
"In mid August of 1986, Avnet sold Guild to a management/investment group from New England and Tennessee. Officers of the newly formed Guild Music Corporation included company President Jerre R. Haskew (previously Chief Executive Officer and President of the Commerce Union Bank of Chattanooga Tennessee), Executive Vice President of Plant and Operations George A. Hammerstrom, and Executive Vice President of Product Development and Artist Relations George Gruhn (Gruhn later left the company in early 1988).
Unfortunately, the remaining members of the investment group defaulted on bank obligations in November of 1988, leading to a court supervised financial restructuring. The Faas Corporation of New Berlin, Wisconsin (now U.S. Musical Corporation) bought Guild in January 1989. Solid body guitar production was discontinued in favor of acoustic and acoustic-electric production (a company strength) although some electric models were reissued in the mid-1990s.
Guild was purchased by FMIC in 1995. Guild introduced more solid body electrics and models were based on memorable Guild models from earlier years (i.e. Starfire, X Series, etc). In 1997, Guild opened a new Custom Shop in Nashville, Tennessee. In 2001 production was moved to Corona, CA. By 2006,"

So the label changes don't seem to coincide with any ownership changes, but it was a good question.
Fender finally sold the brand and its intellectual properties and even a fair amount of production equipment to current owners Cordoba Music Group in 2014.

Think Neal's correct on this as "early Westerly", I know it's covered in Hans' book (The Guild Guitar Book) which I don't have handy, but pretty sure once they started saying "Westerly" on the label it said it until production was moved to Corona, CA, and Tacomas say Tacoma, and New Hartfords say New Hartford.
In fact some early Westerly guitars still had "Hoboken" labels until '70.
Your s/n does jibe perfectly as an '81 according to their records, but I think a "Made in USA" only label preceded yours, not followed.

Thanks for the info , I didn't have that info so I really was just guessing since mine was 81' and still had the USA with address .

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In any case I think you mean one like this:

Right. That's the label.

That s/n would be '75 according to Guild's charts....

The one on reverb would also be a '75, as its serial is 1202xx. Apparently, shortly after that, they went with the Westerly, R.I. label. That's a good link to that previous discussion!