Guild Total
Time to see how the S-275 fared!

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/02/14/1982-guild-s-275/

1982-Guild-S275-TopFull.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As usual, a very interesting and entertaining read, GAD!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Great writeup as always.

Re. brass nuts: my c. 1981 Goya (a Martin E/EM-18 sorta copy, commissioned and partially built by Martin themselves) came with one. I swapped it out, temporarily, for a bone nut but then put it back in place after failing to hear or feel any differences between it and its replacement. Also, for awhile in the mid-'60s Danelectro experimented with a material called oilite…bronze impregnated at high temperature with lubricant. My two Coral-branded Danos both appear to have oilite nuts.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also, for awhile in the mid-'60s Danelectro experimented with a material called oilite…bronze impregnated at high temperature with lubricant. My two Coral-branded Danos both appear to have oilite nuts.
Oh man, sooner or later we're gonna get a ton of mileage out of that.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you appear to have oilite nuts for more than four hours, consult your doctor.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Nice write up, as usual. I know it's insulting to compare my lowly S-25 to your magnificent S-275, except that they really are the same model, just opposite ends of the bling spectrum. (Which I think suits both of us :tickled_pink:)

Anyway, I know I've expressed my lack of interest in XR-7s before, and it's just my opinion and all that, but I felt the same way about the sound of my S-25 that you seem to feel about your S-275. That is until I installed HB-1s. Now I love the thing and pick it up as much as any other guitar I own.

Be warned: even thought the S-25 came with HB-1 pickup rings, the routes are not really as big as they should be. I managed to squeeze the pickups in there, but only because I was too lazy to open up the cavities. Next time I have the strings off I'll remove the pickups and shave a little wood with a sharp chisel just so that I can adjust the angle of the HB-1's correctly.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice write up, as usual. I know it's insulting to compare my lowly S-25 to your magnificent S-275, except that they really are the same model, just opposite ends of the bling spectrum. (Which I think suits both of us :tickled_pink:)

Anyway, I know I've expressed my lack of interest in XR-7s before, and it's just my opinion and all that, but I felt the same way about the sound of my S-25 that you seem to feel about your S-275. That is until I installed HB-1s. Now I love the thing and pick it up as much as any other guitar I own.

Be warned: even thought the S-25 came with HB-1 pickup rings, the routes are not really as big as they should be. I managed to squeeze the pickups in there, but only because I was too lazy to open up the cavities. Next time I have the strings off I'll remove the pickups and shave a little wood with a sharp chisel just so that I can adjust the angle of the HB-1's correctly.

Good to know. I'd bet it would sound killer with HB-1s.

I do like a fair bit of bling. :rolleyes-new:

Renuncia701

Reaction score
I have a 275 and dislike the pickups. Going to order HB sized single coils for it. I appreciate the write up and agree with you about the instruments personality. The thin narrow neck is a some what uncomfortable for me. Once again thank you for your observations

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Renuncia, that is a pretty diverse set of Guilds you have in your signature! Nice!

walrus

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I put a brass nut on my latest strat build and I love it.

Renuncia701

Reaction score
Thank you. Many reasons to like these guitars. I decided when I came close to retirement I would get the instruments I always wanted but to broke to buy. The really odd thing about it is the new bluesbird is my favorite to play. I used it initially because I didn't want the others to be damaged by cold ect. now its because they are fun to play. Guilds are distinctive and quality instruments.