JS-II project

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
with the 70s humbucker and the switch in "deep" position, the neck pickup/circuit is full range and is extremely hot, all kinds of bass...Guilds version of the mudbucker. They removed the switch from Hagmeat's JS bass, and it was even hotter, so he put it back in, is my understanding. with the switch the other way it cuts a lot of the heat, a long with some lows, and to me sounds like a standup bass.

The bass sounds quite good in both positions, but one is a lot hotter than the other. It wouldnt be such a bad idea to decide on one mode and then remove the switch shaft if that is even possible, just so you dont hit it accidentally while playing, if that is an issue. I personally seem to unintentionally hit switches on guitars while I play, and lean towards "less is more" hardware. (but even the JS-1 has the switch...). I would not go as far to unsolder and disconnect it if you are ever using the neck humbucker. The switch engaged ("hard") on a bisonic pickup would sound pretty cool too, that is essentially what is on the GSR M-85 bass that was made in New Hartford (one of which I own), or something that achieves the same thing. that bass has newark street bisonic pickups though and sounds nothing like the humbucker in any way. i have to say on that bass, the switches might be in better locations, for me, than the JS.

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I read as much as I could stand:) Obviously there are some variations and I'm just going repaint it, get a bisonic in the neck position, and see how it sounds. I'll check the wiring to see what's really going on now that I've seen the possibilities and probabilities. The most likely being the switch goes in the off position from a resistor in series, to balance output level with the bridge pickup, and in the on position skips the resistor and switches in a high treble-cut capacitor, effectively boosting the bass. Will get back with results at some point:)

If you are willing to wade through the posts I think http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...witch-to-a-phase-switch&highlight=suck+switch and http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...t-Deep-Hard-Switch-quot&highlight=suck+switch might address your questions.

FWIW my recollection of the circuit analysis is that the factory wiring always adds something to the circuit and it is just a question of what the effect is. It is really a toggle between a capacitor and a resistor and not an in/out or on/off kind of thing. The simple thing would be to unsolder it so it is no longer in the circuit.

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
So latest update... Still in the middle of prep for refinishing. When I unscrewed the tail strap button, I noticed it was screwed into a couple pieces of wood stuffed into a larger hole which looked possibly original as if maybe it had a peg type button like an acoustic guitar. Is that possible?
guildStrapButtonHole.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The stock strap pin screws in and I have never seen one that is just pushed in.
0ab551cbac93b66442f13d983da15238.jpg

Random pic from the internet. If you were to look at it from the "bottom" you could see the screw head.

My guess is somewhere along the line someone either replaced the original with something smaller or inadvertently widened the hole to the point it needed filler.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The stock strap pin screws in and I have never seen one that is just pushed in.

EEEEEEEEEEENNNT! <Buzzer sound> Wrong! They are large metal tapered strap pins. I can't find a photo right now so somebody help me out. I'm pretty sure the lower strap pin in the photo you posted is of this type.

(By the way, they fall out if you jump around too much when you're playing!)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So latest update... Still in the middle of prep for refinishing. When I unscrewed the tail strap button, I noticed it was screwed into a couple pieces of wood stuffed into a larger hole which looked possibly original as if maybe it had a peg type button like an acoustic guitar. Is that possible?
guildStrapButtonHole.jpg

great picture! I'd have to agree that is definitely not mahogany. looks like maple or maybe alder? fascinating indeed. is it really light, or really heavy? just right?

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
Ahhh. Thanks youse guys. I had stopped by a guitar shop in town this morning with this question and they said no way, nobody ever did that. But in my way back memory I thought I'd seen it and I'm glad I asked here. Now I just need to find one. AND I'm really glad I didn't go ahead and drill and dowel that thing! I came close. Very close... Thanks again. The shop this morning showed me plastic ones from an acoustic guitar and my brain was saying inside "no, they were metal"....

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
great picture! I'd have to agree that is definitely not mahogany. looks like maple or maybe alder? fascinating indeed. is it really light, or really heavy? just right?

Yeah I'm thinking poplar. Alder would be second guess. Very light. I was thinking about adding some weight somehow just to help balance it out a bit, had been thinking of sneaking some lead or steel into the bottom end here somewhere but I think I'm going to just let it go. Open to opinions though...

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
Ahhh. Thanks youse guys. I had stopped by a guitar shop in town this morning with this question and they said no way, nobody ever did that. But in my way back memory I thought I'd seen it and I'm glad I asked here. Now I just need to find one. AND I'm really glad I didn't go ahead and drill and dowel that thing! I came close. Very close... Thanks again. The shop this morning showed me plastic ones from an acoustic guitar and my brain was saying inside "no, they were metal"....

Might even have to make one or have it made...

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I prolly have one floating around.

Message or email me. But I'm on the road for a week.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Head heavy remedies. One is the "Heads Up" bass strap.

Happy Face

Reaction score
I'll let you have an original. I won't use a bass without strap locks on it.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
EEEEEEEEEEENNNT! <Buzzer sound> Wrong! They are large metal tapered strap pins. I can't find a photo right now so somebody help me out. I'm pretty sure the lower strap pin in the photo you posted is of this type.

(By the way, they fall out if you jump around too much when you're playing!)

I stand corrected. Thank you.