F50R and D55 - new toys

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies, glad to be here. Probably the only place my infatuation with guitars that bear the Guild headstock won't be scoffed at as therapist worthy. For the record I don't mind a good Gibson electric, it's their acoustics that should be used as pro wrestling props :highly_amused:

The J-45 I once had was completely without any low end or warmth, drowned in volume compared to cheaper guitars I had laying around, and was absurdly hard to play for an instrument that expensive. Nice crisp sound for sure if you like that kind of voicing, but it couldn't be heard if any other decently loud guitar was in the room playing along side it. I find this to be the case with most premium Gibsons I've picked up minus the SJ-200 which was quite nice but even at that $5000 price point it was no F50R. If any politicians want to make it illegal to acquire non-guild acoustics on US soil I'm not saying I would support it, but I'm also not, not saying I would support it.

Curious, what does everyone think of the move to Cordoba? I know ol Ren was overseeing their switch from New Hartford which everyone seems to note as a really positive thing. Definitely wished the USA production had moved on a little faster, as I'm jonesing for a good USA made electric Guild semi-hollow that resembles the GSR Starfire VI. Love that vintage burst with the gold hardware.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome IHG... Nice way to come in to the fold!!
Those are beauts. And though I have played maybe one or two Gibson acoustics that were decent ( not worth the price tag ) I have yet to this day to be blown away by a Gibson acoustic.. I owned a norlin era 1972 J-50 for about 5 minutes. I was able to turn it around and break even. The funds from that Gibson went to buying my beloved Guild D-30 SB.

I get why people like Taylors ( a little high toned for my taste )
I get why people like Martins especially when you pick up a D18 or D28 - most models over $1500.
Gibson??? I am scratching my head...

The only Gibsons I have ever truly enjoyed were 335's and SG's..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Charlie in the middle:

auz81f.jpg

He took facial expression lessons from you, didn't he?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey, Ih8...

This is what's known as "not fearing the veer."

In my heart of hearts I was proud to see a man stand up for his convictions about the "other G" brand.
We need to make Guild great again and if bashing "the other G" is what it takes, well then, I'm glad to let the other guy do it.

Reaction score
Nice guitars!!! I have yet to play a gibby that "model-for-model" surpasses a Guild. And i have owned plenty of both in the past! I still visit my favorite guitar shops here and play a few of the "other Brands" from time to time, but nothing compares to Guild, especially for the price!
Welcome!

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
My "handle" says it all - I love all "G" guitars - Gibson and Guild. I have a J-200 and a D-55. Both incredible guitars - both different. I admit I got most of my Gibsons a number of years ago and paid less than current prices, but they are well-built and great sounding - just like my Guilds. there is room in my life for both.