Keep getting distracted by High End MIC's.... - Guild D15?? He well are they loved??

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay I have had every intention to add another Westerly era Guild to the stable, but I keep going to check out duds... Namely a 1974 D25M that had a rising bridge and a seller that was holding almost militantly at $600, a 1977 D25ch with a headstock repair and an imminent neck re-set, and a pawn shop Guild D40 with a rising bridge and banged up frets. The pawn shop rep would budge $150 but not near enough to cover the work that needed to be done..

So I went back to Sam Ash to give a few Westerly series MIC's a try and ended up taking this one home... Not a Guild mind you..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blueridge-BR-72-Contemporary-Acoustic-Guitar-x/dp/B003YOT05K

They ran $600 - $700 new and I nabbed this one in excellent condition for $500. She is a player and will make a nice travel guitar. I sort of like the fact that it has lam rw back and sides. That way as I travel with her she should give me fewer problems.. As long as I remember to tune down.

So my intention to only have 3 acoustics in the stable has possibly moved to 4... I am going to look at a 1988 D-15 at GC when I am in LA next week. It is actually a used listing that has a lot of decent pictures..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/Vintage-1988-D15-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

Anyone have any input on a Guild D-15?
I dig the look and the arched back.
Thanks.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input on a Guild D-15?
I dig the look and the arched back.
Thanks.
It's basically a re-issue of the all-'hog D25 formula from about '72-74, they had 'hog tops and bodies.
Color call out is generic, they never made a "Wine Red" but I suspect it's actually going to be "WGR" Woodgrain Red, or possibly Cherry.
Color in photos is so bad I can't tell.
In fact if anything now I think it's a D15M for Mahogany stain.
I seem to recall they did make those too.
"IIRC" Bikerdoc got one from Killdeer and intends to keep it for life.

Whoah, hold the horses, I just noticed TRC's right-side up.
She's a virgin, boys.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's basically a re-issue of the all-'hog D25 formula from about '72-74, they had 'hog tops and bodies.
Color call out is generic, they never made a "Wine Red" but I suspect it's actually going to be "WGR" Woodgrain Red, or possibly Cherry.
Color in photos is so bad I can't tell.
In fact if anything now I think it's a D15M for Mahogany stain.
I seem to recall they did make those too.
"IIRC" Bikerdoc got one from Killdeer and intends to keep it for life.

Whoah, hold the horses, I just noticed TRC's right-side up.
She's a virgin, boys.

Thanks, Al. Color As always appreciate the info. At only 4 years of being a Guild owner I am still a bit of noob..
And yes the TRC is in the proper position... That is a good sign I guess that whomever made any adjustments put the TRC back on the right way... Hmmmmm...

I will certainly give her a test drive.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Al. Color As always appreciate the info. At only 4 years of being a Guild owner I am still a bit of noob..
And yes the TRC is in the proper position... That is a good sign I guess that whomever made any adjustments put the TRC back on the right way... Hmmmmm...

I will certainly give her a test drive.

It also just occurred to me that it would make a fine tonal alternative to your D30 in a very elegant way, 2 Guild dreads with completely different woods.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Yep, mine is never leaving this family.

100_0209.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Al - Agreed on tonal dynamics. Something that will surely influence my assessment.

Bikerdoc - There is just something about the light natural color of those that I am really drawn to. She is a beauty and I get, just in appearance alone, why she will never leave the family.

Thanks, guys,

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al - Agreed on tonal dynamics. Something that will surely influence my assessment.

Bikerdoc - There is just something about the light natural color of those that I am really drawn to. She is a beauty and I get, just in appearance alone, why she will never leave the family.

Thanks, guys,

Now that's interesting.
Even though Hans ID's the one in LA as a "WGR" (which I like very much, in any case), on my tube the photos of it resemble Doc's much more, color-wise.
Why I thought it might actually be an "M" or maybe even just a "Natural" -can't remember how the labeling worked with those.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Now that's interesting.
Even though Hans ID's the one in LA as a "WGR" (which I like very much, in any case), on my tube the photos of it resemble Doc's much more, color-wise.
Why I thought it might actually be an "M" or maybe even just a "Natural" -can't remember how the labeling worked with those.

Al if I do pick it up I may just title it in my signature as "88' WGR" to confuse people or start up a conversation. It is between looking at that one and 1995 DV6 that is close to my neck of the woods that appears to be in good shape for only $500..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al if I do pick it up I may just title it in my signature as "88' WGR" to confuse people or start up a conversation. It is between looking at that one and 1995 DV6 that is close to my neck of the woods that appears to be in good shape for only $500..

Yeah folks always keep asking about that, it'll say it on the label for sure.
Already made a note in the DV6 thread.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah folks always keep asking about that, it'll say it on the label for sure.
Already made a note in the DV6 thread.

Checked out the 1988 D15 at GC Hollywood...

Warm boomy sound you would expect from this model based on everything I have heard. It didn't disappoint event with dead strings on there. Drives me nuts. Not one new string in the vintage room. It is like they tossed them up there just as they were purchased..

Any how they are asking $600 but will do $550 with set up and new hard shell case. I told them I would need to mull it over... we'll see.

Going to check out an Eastman AC412 OM solid rw guit in Chino tomorrow so may go that direction. Will keep you posted and will post Picts once decided.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
D30man - I've been coveting a nice vintage D15 as well, curious how different it might be from my D25 arch back.

But what I wanted to second was the mention of the BlueRidge BR-72 - I bought a plain-jane BlueRidge BR-43 last year
from my favorite local guitar store (Music Folk in St. Louis) as something
to send out to my son who's living on the west coast - was knocked out by it - clear, loud, articulate, great action, impressive
in every way except visually - for a small cheap guitar I wouldn't be worrying about, hard to beat! He's a beginning
player and loves it.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
D30man - I've been coveting a nice vintage D15 as well, curious how different it might be from my D25 arch back.

But what I wanted to second was the mention of the BlueRidge BR-72 - I bought a plain-jane BlueRidge BR-43 last year
from my favorite local guitar store (Music Folk in St. Louis) as something
to send out to my son who's living on the west coast - was knocked out by it - clear, loud, articulate, great action, impressive
in every way except visually - for a small cheap guitar I wouldn't be worrying about, hard to beat! He's a beginning
player and loves it.

Hey Bonneville! The D15 played nicely and had that warm loud guild arched back sound. A little dark too with that hog top. I see it as basically a dressed down D25.

My Blueridge is my star player right. I played my all solid Eastman, Guild D30 and the Blueridge Br72 OM for my wife who has a great ear and said it was the winner hands down. It is a killer little guitar.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I ended up passing on the D15.. needed it to be closer to $500 and guy wouldn't budge.. I ended with another Eastman.. this time an OM AC412 with all solid woods. EIR back and sides and a lyric installed. New they run $799. Nabbed it on LA CL for $325. Had some whiskey bumps but all was in order structurally..

On a solid run with OM's lately..

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good score for $325! Played the BlueRidge one time with my regular jammin' crew before shipping it west...
all were impressed with the sound, our banjo player quickly dubbed it "the chinese bullet" :peaceful:
I almost bought another for myself before my simmering Guild addiction finally took over...

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good score for $325! Played the BlueRidge one time with my regular jammin' crew before shipping it west...
all were impressed with the sound, our banjo player quickly dubbed it "the chinese bullet" :peaceful:
I almost bought another for myself before my simmering Guild addiction finally took over...

Nice!! Chinese Bullet. I like it. Yeah my guild addiction has cooled off a bit. I went from acquiring every reasonably priced Guild I could find to being more selective about the models I want. I am not a collector. I am a player. I need guitars I can play on regular basis.. with different characteristics that can serve certain purposes. I have been taken with the more thoughtfully produced MIC's I.e. Eastman, Blueridge, Guild WC / GAD, and Recording King. Eastman and Blueridge seem to be the MIC cream of the crop in my assessment. They have consistently produced high quality instruments. Eastman has dedicated itself to producing high end stringed instruments since the 90's. The founder truly believes in making good pieces and it shows in the details.

I know this is a Guild forum and I am about to get kicked off for praising MIC brands so much.

Another Guild will find its way into my stable. I love the Westerly era above all I have played from the brand.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another Guild will find its way into my stable. I love the Westerly era above all I have played from the brand.

D30, I recently got the Br back from the friend I lent it to, he just never had time to play it, and honestly, the neck and string spacing was way too narrow for him. I been playing it for the last couple days. Great dread. I did not realize how much I missed the old hard mahogony sound. It's nice to have 2 dreads I like. I am going to consider a refret of the old Westerly girl after all. anyway, the Br is real close to that D15 you played. Flatback? maybe D15 is arched...