Ngd: S300

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks to a nice and easy trade deal with pj29, I am the happy new owner of a Guild S300.

I've owned a fair number of S300s, All of which were S300A-Ds so this is the first one I've had that's just an S300. I like it!

The wood isn't really this visible unless it's in direct sunlight or hit with the flash, and otherwise looks brown with a bit of a reddish tint.

I don't know where he found this thing, but I think it was either hung on the wall or stored under the bed for almost 40 years. Aside from a ding on the front and some minor scuff-type wear, the normal wear points of an S300 are damn-near mint. There is NO finish wear on the bridge, the nut is completely clean and it plays and sounds like a dream.

There is rust on the normal screws and the frets needed a good (real good) polishing, and the fretboard just soaked up bore oil like I've never seen which again leads me to believe that someone just let it sit for decades.

5D3_9242_1600.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sure is a pretty thing, I'll bet you could get in some trouble with that one. Enjoy it as always my Friend!

TX

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, as much as I whine about 1 5/8" fretboards, an S300 just feels like home.

gilded

Reaction score
Man, as much as I whine about 1 5/8" fretboards, an S300 just feels like home.

Maybe it feels like home because there is more string tension on the guitar because the tailpiece is set so close to the bridge that there is more down-angle than on the earlier models (where the tailpiece is further away; less acute down angle).

I don't like 1 5/8" necks either, but all my strat and tele necks are 1 5/8" at the nut and it doesn't bother me. Of course, strats and teles have a 25.5" scale length which creates more string-tension at the same pitch as 24.75" scale guitars, but the more acute down angle from a tele or strat bridge makes a big diff, too.

What do you think? HH

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe it feels like home because there is more string tension on the guitar because the tailpiece is set so close to the bridge that there is more down-angle than on the earlier models (where the tailpiece is further away; less acute down angle).

I don't like 1 5/8" necks either, but all my strat and tele necks are 1 5/8" at the nut and it doesn't bother me. Of course, strats and teles have a 25.5" scale length which creates more string-tension at the same pitch as 24.75" scale guitars, but the more acute down angle from a tele or strat bridge makes a big diff, too.

What do you think? HH

String tension has never been a big deal for me. I generally put 10s on my "Gibson" scale guitars and 9s on my Fenders and they all feel the same to me. For me it feels like home because an S300A-D was my only guitar for 20 years.

Many years ago I was floored that a 1973 Starfire felt terrible to me while a 1979 S300A-D felt great. The neck widths were the same, but the neck depth was 1mm deeper on the S300 which made it night and day for me.

Another thing that seems to matter is fretboard radius. I haven't measured, but I'd be willing to bet that the S300 comes out in the 9.5" range (like my Strat) and that extra curve also adds to the feeling of fullness in the hand.

As much as I greatly prefer the wider neck of 1 11/16", since i had the S300 for so long I adapt pretty quickly when the neck feels good. If the neck is smaller, though, like it is on those '70s Starfires, then it's a deal-breaker for me.

It's also possible that you're right but I just don't feel it in a way that I can quantify. Or maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm kind of surprised that this guitar seems to have a one-piece neck. All my S300A-Ds had 3-piece necks:

_B0Z4470_800.jpg

pj29

Reaction score
Had a real nice meet up with GAD to do this trade. It was great being able to meet face to face. The M-75 is nice that he traded and I think it was a nice even trade on the whole.

I am glad he likes that S-300, it definitely is in nice shape. I think he is right on it sitting for a while. I bought it from a guy that does estate sales, he didn't know anything about guitars so I wasn't able to get any back story on it. I will say that I have never seen a good guitar at an estate sale but I guess it happens!!!

Tough to guess timing, but there were a couple tabulature books in the case that would date it at late 80's for the last time it was played I think. Considering how dry the fret board is and the lack of play wear, sitting almost 30 years would make sense. That would put it being only played for 6 or 7 years before sitting.

Thanks!!

Black Rooster

Reaction score
Nice one GAD..... i like so much this un common design,the S300 are on my wish list (expecially the D version) your look like new!!