need info on tuner parts for '68 SFII

fretwear

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm finally starting to work on a '68 SFII project bass that I snagged back in 2014. I have the original tuners that were saved after a 70's mod where the tuners got "upgraded", problem is no ferrules or screws.....
the peg head holes are 7/16" or about 11.1mm, ferrule ID is 3/8" or 9.5mm

any ideas where I could find the correct ferrules?

Also need the correct pickup risers for the neck and bridge pickups

thanks for any info

Last edited:

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I would call or email Guild and ask if they have the parts to sell you. They recently sold me a replacement nut that wasn't on their online store. Maybe they would have the ferrules you need.

fretwear

Reaction score
I would call or email Guild and ask if they have the parts to sell you. They recently sold me a replacement nut that wasn't on their online store. Maybe they would have the ferrules you need.

thanks! great idea! it seems these parts are unobtainiun for the most part thru regular channels, unless you find someone parting out a bass.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm finally starting to work on a '68 SFII project bass that I snagged back in 2014. I have the original tuners that were saved after a 70's mod where the tuners got "upgraded", problem is no ferrules or screws.....
the peg head holes are 7/16" or about 11.1mm, ferrule ID is 3/8" or 9.5mm
any ideas where I could find the correct ferrules? Also need the correct pickup risers for the neck and bridge pickups

Hello fretwear,

Might be able to help you out. Contact me through my website or send me an email.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

I agree with the advice. But be careful. There are anecdotes about today's Guild selling parts for vintage instruments that do not fit/work and anecdotes about Newark Street parts not fitting Starfires made in the previous century. There are also anecdotes that are success stories but it is probably worth asking a lot of questions before actually placing the order.

fretwear

Reaction score
I agree with the advice. But be careful. There are anecdotes about today's Guild selling parts for vintage instruments that do not fit/work and anecdotes about Newark Street parts not fitting Starfires made in the previous century. There are also anecdotes that are success stories but it is probably worth asking a lot of questions before actually placing the order.

Good point, no future in getting a pile O' parts that don't fit or work a so good....

Looks as if I might have solved tuner and riser issue. Thanks for the info!

Upon closer inspection I find that I still need a master volume pot and choke or coil for the "suck switch".
I'd like to find a vintage replacement volume pot, if I can't find one, is a CTS 500K audio taper pot correct?
Also any info on the replacement coil would be great. Not much info out there on where to source it.
I may just have to go with the first gen SF II which is probably a better sounding circuit?
Still like to find the choke if possible :)

Thanks, Leo

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good point, no future in getting a pile O' parts that don't fit or work a so good....

Looks as if I might have solved tuner and riser issue. Thanks for the info!

Upon closer inspection I find that I still need a master volume pot and choke or coil for the "suck switch".
I'd like to find a vintage replacement volume pot, if I can't find one, is a CTS 500K audio taper pot correct?
Also any info on the replacement coil would be great. Not much info out there on where to source it.
I may just have to go with the first gen SF II which is probably a better sounding circuit?
Still like to find the choke if possible :)

Thanks, Leo

twocorgis had the suck switch and circuit taken out of his green(!) vintage(!!) SF II. fixit did the work. maybe the parts were saved?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
twocorgis had the suck switch and circuit taken out of his green(!) vintage(!!) SF II. fixit did the work. maybe the parts were saved?

he had the suck switch removed from the circuit, like many of us have...im not sure if anyone has actually removed the coil/transformer/choke/whatever it is from the bass...

any of us could pull one out for you, I suppose, but i'm pretty sure you are better off without it!

wisconsindead

Reaction score
You do not want the choke/transformer in your bass. It does nothing but harm. But if you really really really want it. I could probably send you mine. You'd have to be pretty handy to put the suck switch back together IMO.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
IMG_1446.jpg

from here.