The things I do for y'all...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Even though I have a perfectly great 2000 Guild Starfire IV, I just bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262835193711

s-l1600.jpg

Why? Because it has SD-1s and I want to compare them so I can make samples, etc. and write an article about it. Plus, I currently don't have any guitars with SD-1s, so this will let me do some other stuff I want to do as well.

OK, ok... I just like spending money on Guilds and you KNOW that I'll list one of them beautiful blonde Starfires here when I'm done. :stung:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That one has a Gorgeous top on it. Congrats and thanks for being all you can be!

TX

dbirchett

Reaction score
If you'd bought a Starfire V, you could have justified keeping both of them. Just sayin'.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure why, but a Starfire V does nothing for me. Same thing with a Starfire II. It probably would have made more sense to buy one of those and write a review about it, but they just don't grab me. I've also always been curious if SD-1s sound better than the pickups I have in mine, so now I'll know for sure. :)

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Nah, one in not a very representative sampling....

you'll need at least a couple.:cool-new:

dbirchett

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but a Starfire V does nothing for me. Same thing with a Starfire II. It probably would have made more sense to buy one of those and write a review about it, but they just don't grab me. I've also always been curious if SD-1s sound better than the pickups I have in mine, so now I'll know for sure. :)

Now that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You like Starfire IVs. You like Bigsbys. A Starfire V is a Starfire IV with a Bigsby (and a little more Bling and a master volume). What's not to like?

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I know it was a selfless act, having to play yet another Guild. We appreciate your sacrifice! Looking forward to your review.
I admit I'd love to do a side by side comparison with my SF-4 with SD1's. I don't blame you a bit.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You like Starfire IVs. You like Bigsbys. A Starfire V is a Starfire IV with a Bigsby (and a little more Bling and a master volume). What's not to like?

When did I ever claim to make sense? :highly_amused:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The eBay description says "HB-1" pickups, but I assume it's way too new for that.

What year range did that change from HB-1s to SD-1s ?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The eBay description says "HB-1" pickups, but I assume it's way too new for that.

What year range did that change from HB-1s to SD-1s ?

The last years I've personally seen real HB1s was the '94-95 range and those were the newer 4-wire models (which I personally love).

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What difference did the 4 wires make?

The four wires are from the ends of each bobbin so having four wires means that you can do things like coil splitting which you cannot do with 2-wire pickups. On a 2-wire pickup the coils are connected within the assembly and you are only given the start and end wire. This is one of the few benefits of the Fender HB1s - they can easily be split.

Pickup-Wire-Colors.png