adding 3rd pickup to S90?

Hellz Kitchen

Reaction score
I'm used to playing the middle pickup on my strat. The problem i'm having with the s90 is that the neck sounds great but is missing the mid punch and the bridge doesn't have enough bass and only has a hair of the mid. Have tried adjusting the pickups and got them to where they both sound good but I think what I'm looking for is the sound of a 3rd pickup in between the two. I found this site and was thinking of buying another s90 pickguard and having someone mod it to have 3 pickups and then use the pickup selector as a 3 way switch for each of the pickups to have there own switch selection. I also have the middle so it is out of phase and maybe having it wired back in phase would fix this problem (because I would get the bight of the bridge but the body of the neck)? Not sure if that would fix it or I would still feel like I was missing that mid punch

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
If your middle position has the pickups out of phase with each other I'd definitely rewire 'em in phase before adding a third pickup. Your dual pickup sound should fill out considerably.

That said, I do tend to favor the middle pickup on guitars that have 'em.

-Dave-

matsickma

Reaction score
Ever think of picking up a Guild S70 and replace one or more of the single coil pups with a stacked humbucker. Believe it or not in my drawer of all the different type if pickups used in Guild guitars is a set of stacked bobbin humbuckers in Strat size and Tele bridge size that has black cover that say "Guild" on them made by Dimarzio. I think they came off of one of the later T250's with chrome hardware.

Just a thought...
M

Hellz Kitchen

Reaction score
I like the S70 idea but I really love the tone and feel of my s90 so want to try and make it work. If I try and add a 3rd pickup, do I have to drill into the wood or is there empty space under the pickguard? I'm assuming there's wood under the pickguard where a possible 3rd pickup could go but can't find pictures with an s90 missing a pickguard. I'd ideally like 3 humbucker pickups, with an option to make a push push mod to one of the volume or tone knobs where the middle position is either straight middle pickup, or neck and bridge together.

matsickma

Reaction score
I can tell you that on 60's Guild S100 Polara's with the large pickguard that has all the pickups, vol & tone controls, selector switch and output jack their is a lot if body routing. In particular their is a large route path to run wires between the neck and bridge pickups.
Not sure about the S90.
M