K&K Mini Pickup Praise

naveed211

Reaction score
I bought my '96 JF-30 from Chicago Music Exchange a year and a half ago and it came installed with a K&K mini pickup system. I actually plugged in for the first time last night and was blown away! That guitar is awesome, but I may even like the plugged in sound better than unplugged as primarily an electric player myself. Very high definition sounding pickup.

Can't recommend it enough if you're looking for a pickup. Great guitar enhanced by a great pickup.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought my '96 JF-30 from Chicago Music Exchange a year and a half ago and it came installed with a K&K mini pickup system. I actually plugged in for the first time last night and was blown away! That guitar is awesome, but I may even like the plugged in sound better than unplugged as primarily an electric player myself. Very high definition sounding pickup.

Can't recommend it enough if you're looking for a pickup. Great guitar enhanced by a great pickup.

Yeah, I got a K&K mini (passive) in my D25 Br and it really shines. Just plug and play. Of course the hog top definitely helps retain some warmth too vs sounding thin.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yep, I put one in my D64 years ago - excellent!

Clarification - specifically, a Pure Mini!

walrus

Last edited:

nrand

Reaction score
My Martin, Yairi and Ukulele all have K&K's and I love them, especially through Redeye preamps.
My 'new' D55 came with its original Fishman Matix UST, which with its 9V system sounds OK, but not as clear as the K&Ks. I have a K&K ready to go in when I take my D55 in for a setup.

BTW, I keep 2 Redeye Preamps on my pedal board, one for my 6 strings, and one for my 12.
The other big advantage with the K&Ks of course is no batteries for anything. The Redeyes are phantom powered from my desk, with 9V battery operation optional, so everything is plug and play.

MLBob

Reaction score
Have always been pleased with K & K acoustic pickups. Had a Power Mix Pure ( 3 transducers on bridge plate + under-saddle piezo bar) installed in my Studio 24 shortly after I got it. Both go stereo out through a TRS cable to a small K&K 2-channel mixer box.

Last summer, I added a K&K Double Helix magnetic soundhole pickup (also passive) to the Pure Mini and eliminated just the piezo bar. Still run both into the same 2-channel box and love what the combination does for the guitar when played through an amp.

IMGP8185_zpscgli7kca.jpg

IMGP8188_zpsgg2cw5fs.jpg

You tube link:

https://youtu.be/O0TFgL0Laq8

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have one in the D-30 and it is pretty sweet. I also run my acoustic through a bodyrez acoustic pedal which is really nice to add dynamics to the overall sound.

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
I've pulled the USTs out of every guitar I've owned. I decided to put a K&K mini in a Taylor 612.

It's great. If I need a pick up in any of my other guitars it's going to be another K & K mini.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I have K&K minis in three of my guitars. I really like them. They sound better with the K&K preamp or any preamp with a 1 Meg Ohm impedance. If you have a different preamp with a different impedance such as a Baggs, you can wire in a resistor in your jack or cord to convert to the proper impedance.

I believe that Ultrasound amps and Preamps/DIs use a 1 Meg Ohm interface.

I recommend the K&K but there is another company JJB that makes a similar (looks identical) product that is about half the price. I have heard some say that they are identical and maybe they are. They also use the 1 Meg Ohm impedance. Caveat emptor. http://www.jjb-electronics.com/index.html

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have K&K minis in three of my guitars. I really like them. They sound better with the K&K preamp or any preamp with a 1 Meg Ohm impedance. If you have a different preamp with a different impedance such as a Baggs, you can wire in a resistor in your jack or cord to convert to the proper impedance.

I believe that Ultrasound amps and Preamps/DIs use a 1 Meg Ohm interface.

I recommend the K&K but there is another company JJB that makes a similar (looks identical) product that is about half the price. I have heard some say that they are identical and maybe they are. They also use the 1 Meg Ohm impedance. Caveat emptor. http://www.jjb-electronics.com/index.html

Don I have used JJB sonically they are very similar. You might lose a hint of volume but for half the price?? They are virtually identical.

naveed211

Reaction score
I'm running it into a simple little $100 Fender Mustang modeling amp, and it sounds so sweet on the Twin Reverb setting with a splash of reverb. Funny, I'm 32 and have owned over 30 amps, some vintage, some boutique, chasing the magical tone dragon, and something as simple as a Guild turned up a little bit with a bit of reverb is so inspiring. Does make me want to try it through a Roland JC or something, though.

But yeah, this K&K pickup. Single note leads in particular sound just gorgeous. It sounds like a good live record in my bedroom, minus the good playing.

Neal

Reaction score
+1 for the K&K Pure Mini. It is all I need for my stage guitar, a '12 F-50 Standard.

I run it through a BBE Acoustimax Preamp/EQ/Notch Filter and a Holy Grail Reverb pedal before it hits the mixer. Warms the K&K up a bit, gives it some punch, gets rid of some of the ice pick on the high end, and if there are feedback issues, they can be managed with the filter.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have Pure Minis in my New Hartford D50 and Tacoma F30 (and in my 1970 Martin D18) and a Pure 12 in my New Hartford G312. Love them all. When necessary, I run through a Pure XLR pre-amp.

gilded

Reaction score
.... I love them, especially through Redeye preamps.....BTW, I keep 2 Redeye Preamps on my pedal board, one for my 6 strings, and one for my 12....The Redeyes are phantom powered from my desk, with 9V battery operation optional, so everything is plug and play.

I've been thinking about using a Red-Eye. Does anybody else use these preamps? Anybody have anything more to say about them?

Reaction score
I have The K&K Pure Mini, with volume control, on both my JF30's and my G-41. Passive system. Just amazing!
I also have the K&K Pure Pre-amp! And the Fishman Aura Spectrum. Sounds amazing live thru the amp...and I sometimes take a line out of the amp to the PA as well. That and my Earthquaker Ghost Echo makes for a big, luscious acoustic guitar sound!

If you haven't tried a pre-amp with the K&K, you're missing out on some of the tonal palette! Try it, you'l liiiike it!

Big-Al

Reaction score
I know a few guys who use Pure Mini pickups exclusively. They do sound good. Very good.

Here's the K&K setup I use, except with the mic very close to the guitar body:

kk_meridian_pro_preamp_mic_install.jpg

I love the sound, but a Pure Mini would be more convenient. The Meridian preamp does supply low voltage phantom power to the condenser microphone. I wonder if it would work with a Pure Mini plugged into it instead. (The pickup input impedance is VERY high so it shouldn't draw much power.)