Al, they really were just a great garage rock band. Maybe the greatest!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The Hollywood Bowl remaster is excellent!

Another live performance where you can actually hear them is live at Circus Krone 1966. Lennon's guitar is particularly up front in the mix - you can see and hear what chords he is playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXiKbll-32Y

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Fascinating. I've heard the new Hollywood Bowl mix but didn't realize how complex the job was. Kinda like software modeling!

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/remastering-one-beatles-live-album-finally-made-great/

I always thought the Who was the greatest raw garage rock band, but maybe it was the Beatles after all.

Nope.
Garage rock was invented by guys who wanted to sound like this:

And they saw it on TV in 1965.

Before that though, this was the one that inspired the Standells, frequently cited as the original garage rock band, to cut "Dirty Water":
68c4ea553bfaa783169f1a34ce26b102.jpg

"Yardbirds records like these were eagerly taken up by the aspiring guitarists and other rock-and-roll obsessives who were forming garage bands at the time ... 'We'd do a lot of gigs where the opening band would play all our songs,' [drummer Jim] McCarty recalls."[37]

—Alan di Perna, Guitar Masters: Intimate Portraits (2012)

Not to belittle "My Generation", but it just didn't get the airplay over here that the Yardbirds and Beatles did.
And the Beatles were nowhere near as raunchy as the Yardbirds.
Yardbirds even outsold 'em in England rather frequently.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yardbirds even outsold 'em in England rather frequently.

Blows my mind. Did it matter which guitarist they had, whether it was Beck or Paige etc, or just this band outsold them all then?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Blows my mind. Did it matter which guitarist they had, whether it was Beck or Paige etc, or just this band outsold them all then?
The Clapton/Beck era, but primarily the Beck period (late '64-late '66).
They fell off in '67 shortly after Page took over the lead slot.
Primarily due to producer Mickie Most trying to fit 'em into the Herman's Hermits/Donovan radio audience niche.
:eek-new:
Album Little Games choked hard when being out-played on radio by new arrivals Cream and Hendrix, and the Who finally charted over here with "I Can see For Miles" (the one that turned me onto 'em).
Not to mention the nascent psychedelic sound of "Somebody To Love".
Fortunately Page already had his escape hatch open.
Did you know, btw, that "Beck's Bolero" was a studio jam attended by Keith Moon who was about to walk on the Who but hadn't told 'em yet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck's_Bolero

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Did you know, btw, that "Beck's Bolero" was a studio jam attended by Keith Moon who was about to walk on the Who but hadn't told 'em yet?

This also supposedly where the name "Led Zeppelin"; came about. From Rollingstone.com:

THE BACKSTORY: In May 1966, Moon and Who bassist John Entwistle recorded the instrumental "Beck's Bolero" with Page, John Paul Jones and Jeff Beck. The track came out well, and they tossed around the idea of forming a new band. Moon allegedly said the band would go over like a lead balloon. Page remembered the joke two years later when he created Zep.

THE TRUTH: Accounts differ; for decades Entwistle claimed it was he, not Moon, who made the "lead balloon" crack. But history seems to favor Moon's version.

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Did you know that Clapton dropped the yardbirds cuz he considered their music was taking too much of a turn towards the soupy commercial stuff?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
He followed his blues muse! He went on to join John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, then formed Cream. Not too shabby!

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
He followed his blues muse! He went on to join John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, then formed Cream. Not too shabby!
walrus

Yeah, Mayall was hoping to keep him a bit longer in the Bluesbreakers actually.
That said, his successor in the yardbirds didn't turn out too bad either. ;)

Neal

Reaction score
I find the notion of someone trying to make the Yardbirds sound like Herman's Hermits epecially appalling.

Zelja

Reaction score
The Beatles, Yardbirds, Clash, Link Wray. Yeah baby, I l dig this thread!

Here's some garage rock from 60s Australia:

And no, I have no idea what's going on with the singers hair!

That Hollywood Bowl live tape remixing is fascinating & really good results by the sound of it.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Did you know that Clapton dropped the yardbirds cuz he considered their music was taking too much of a turn towards the soupy commercial stuff?

Okay, I might be a bit fuzzy on this, but I had always thought that the producer gave Clapton the boot because he felt he wouldn't fit in to the direction he wanted them to go.

Same thing I suppose. Depends on hows you look at it, big bonehead move by the producer or a good move by Clapton?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
big bonehead move by the producer or a good move by Clapton?
Neither really. Fact is these guys (Clapton, Beck, Page, Taylor, Bloomfield, Mandel, Green, Lee, etc....) were at the right place at the right time, picking it up where the Black pioneers left it.
If you has some talent as a musician in the 60's, you were pretty much doomed to succeed, regardless of the lateral moves made from one band to the other.
Only thing that may have shortened you career (and that did for quite a few) were those strange substances floating around and made so fashionable in the milieu (Yeah!!!! I squeezed in a French word!!!) that consumption became a must if you wanted to "belong".

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Clapton/Beck era, but primarily the Beck period (late '64-late '66).
They fell off in '67 shortly after Page took over the lead slot.
Primarily due to producer Mickie Most trying to fit 'em into the Herman's Hermits/Donovan radio audience niche.
:eek-new:
Album Little Games choked hard when being out-played on radio by new arrivals Cream and Hendrix, and the Who finally charted over here with "I Can see For Miles" (the one that turned me onto 'em).
Not to mention the nascent psychedelic sound of "Somebody To Love".
Fortunately Page already had his escape hatch open.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck's_Bolero

really cool, wow! great story. i got to listen to that song.
so Entwistle was supposed to play but bagged the sessions

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah, sailingshoes! Great clip - Link Wray!

From "It Might Get Loud", Jimmy Page listening to and talking about Link Wray's "Rumble". At around 1:35, he plays air guitar to it!

Link Wray was very influential to Beck, Clapton, Page, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLEUSn8y9TI

walrus