84 D50 specs

Reaction score
Evening, folks. What can you tell me about the 84 version of the D50? I have a 69 D35 I purchased new, love the guitar but wonder if a D50 might be a nice addition. Wondering if the 84 would be a good choice....still bone nut, pegs and such? Good reputation? Thanks in advance for your observations. Tom

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think there really is a bad year for a D-50. Getting your head wrapped around the Bluegrass, Jubilee, Special versions takes some time !

Reaction score
John: Thanks for responding. I have "The Guild Guitar Book" but it only covers 52-77. Would you happen to know what models were offered in 84? Tom

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
John: Thanks for responding. I have "The Guild Guitar Book" but it only covers 52-77. Would you happen to know what models were offered in 84? Tom
You're gonna have to join us in the waiting room for Vol.II..... :lemo:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
tmont,
In '84, the D-50 would be solid rosewood back and sides, sitka spruce top with straight braces, ebony fretboard and bridge, with the older, "domed" headstock (as opposed to the tapered or snakehead headstock introduced in '87). Scalloped braces were also introduced to the D-50 in '87.

In '83-84, Guild also made the (short-lived) D-52 model, which was basically a D-50 with scalloped braces. Note that some of the DV-52s made during the first year of production ('93) were mis-labeled as D-52s. These mis-labeled DV-52s are distinguished from "real" D-52s (from the 80s) by their snakehead headstock.

I created a spreadsheet/list of (most) Guild dreads made from the Hoboken/Westerly factory's, which I posted as an LTG "blog"...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Evening, folks. What can you tell me about the 84 version of the D50? I have a 69 D35 I purchased new, love the guitar but wonder if a D50 might be a nice addition. Wondering if the 84 would be a good choice....still bone nut, pegs and such? Good reputation? Thanks in advance for your observations. Tom

Hi Tmont, welcome aboard!
In fact, Guild didn't start using bone nuts and saddles for regular production until the Tacoma era, except perhaps on the absolute top of the brand's line, the Artist Award, can' t recall for sure on that model.
Standard at that time for saddles and nuts was a synthetic product known as Micarta.
Think of it as a precursor to TUSQ.
It offered better consistency of structure than bone, and economy.