1965 Starfire IV Questions - Hoboken

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Hello,

This might be my first vintage Guild purchase. I was in Guitar Center yesterday and they had this 1965 Starfire IV on the floor. I plugged it in and immediately was blown away by the LB-1 pickups and mojo of this particular guitar! I've played tons of 335s, but this just had something different and unique. Every 335 I've ever played feels and plays the same to me. They're fantastic guitars, but everyone has one and plays one. It's like playing a Taylor acoustic, they're all the same and great, but you're just part of the crowd... But, this Guild was the most unique experience I've had. I took it home and still have 2 days before I have to return it or keep it. I paid $1950 out the door with the original case.

My questions are:
1) Is this is a smart investment for the guitar w/ original hardcase to own? This would be my first big boy guitar purchase. I'm a touring musician and play most nights around the country. Therefore, I want something extremely reliable and solid. If I ever wanted to sell way down the road, would it be easy to do so like selling a 335 or Telecaster?

2) Judging from the pictures, is this a fair price even with all the mojo and play wear? Everything is original on it. Jut lots of buckle rash and scratches.

3) Do the LB-1 pickups amplify every touch on them? They seem microphonic, which may be an issue since I palm mute and fingerpick with my hand on the bridge for several songs of mine.

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/MwMjE

Thanks for your time! I just want to make sure this is a smart investment for a touring musician and will hold up in value.

Last edited:

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Hello,

This might be my first vintage Guild purchase. I was in Guitar Center yesterday and they had this 1965 Starfire IV on the floor. I plugged it in and immediately was blown away by the LB-1 pickups and mojo of this particular guitar! I've played tons of 335s, but this just had something different and unique. Every 335 I've ever played feels and plays the same to me. They're fantastic guitars, but everyone has one and plays one. It's like playing a Taylor acoustic, they're all the same and great, but you're just part of the crowd... But, this Guild was the most unique experience I've had. I took it home and still have 2 days before I have to return or keep it. I paid $1950 out the door with the original case.

My questions are:
1) Is this is a smart investment for the guitar w/ original hardcase to own? This would be my first big boy guitar purchase. I'm a touring musician and play most nights around the country. Therefore, I want something extremely reliable and solid. If I ever wanted to sell way down the road, would it be easy to do so like selling a 335 or Telecaster?

2) Judging from the pictures, is this a fair price even with all the character and play wear? Everything is original on it. Jut lots of buckle rash and scratches. Headstock logo and fretboard trim peeling a bit.

3) Do the LB-1 pickups amplify every touch on them? They seem microphonic, which may be an issue since I palm mute and fingerpick with my hand on the bridge for several songs of mine.

Thank you for your time and help! I really want to make this guitar work, but I also have to be smart with my money and practical needs of a touring musician.

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/MwMjE

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I decided there were enough changed words to leave the duplicates. For the record, a new member's first five or so posts will need to be moderated before they appear.

I'm not sure about the price. Someone else should express an opinion.

I am by no means a gigging bassist. But one of the excuses I used to buy a Newark Street Starfire bass was I would not have to expose my '67 Starfire to the risks inherent in playing out.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I thought you had 30 days for a Guitar Center return?

walrus

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm too new to the Guild electric market to know the price range. It does need some fixing up. The big question is if the neck to bridge angle is still OK, and if it sounds really great. There are lots of different ones out there but they have different style pickups and necks and body thicknesses. I'm quite sure other more electric guru types will jump in. Price is subjective. Guild will cost less than the equivalent Gibson. That's just the market. I assume you've checked Rverb, and eBay and the rest of the Guitar Center listing to get a feel for the prices.

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in! Yeah, it seems like this is a good price range. $1900 being the lowest in the book. Like I said, this is my first big guitar purchase. I picked up a 1969 335 alongside this one and this Guild blew it out of the water. I just don't understand why Guilds aren't worth more. They're haunted guitars and incredibly inspirational. I mean, Dan Auerbach states his favorite guitar is his Guild...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The original anti-hum pickups (now revived as LB-1s) can be a bit microphonic. IMO this adds to their aliveness but it can also be an issue when playing at high-ish volume. The LB-1s in my reissue T-bird (S-200, an Auerbach fav) have that lively quality too but aren't squeal prone. The originals in my Bluesbird can be induced to squeal & screech, but hollowbody feedback is more of an issue with that guitar than pickup resonance. I haven't had an issue with finger-tapping noise but my originals are more sensitive to it than my LB-1s.

I have a '73 335, a treasured gift from a friend, that I love in part 'cuz it gives me a darker-sounding alternative to my mainly bright-sounding guitars. But I also love the '60s Starfire sound and will end up getting one, probably a IV, at some point.

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG robotdude! So glad to hear you've discovered the Guild magic -- and with a Hoboken, no less. In response to your questions:

1) I think everyone's different when deciding what to take out on the road. It's true that touring with vintage guitars has its risks, however, I've always been a firm believer that the guitar that feels right needs to be played. I would understand if someone created his or her legacy on a specific axe and wants to preserve it for sentimental reasons (like "Blackie," or "Lucille"), but those on-stage situations is where they earn their mojo, road scars, and stories. Also consider how replaceable it is, in the event something does happen, i.e., a '59 LP or original Broadcaster. When I was actively touring, I chose to take my vintage axes out on the road because . . . that's what they're there for!

2) I've seen 60s Starfire IVs for less in various states of condition. The ones listed above $2000 tend to sit a while. The thing is, if you made a connection with a specific guitar, I suggest you listen to your gut. I pick up new and old, cheap and expensive guitars all the time, and rarely does one scream out at me. I always regret not buying the ones that did. It also may depend on how often you get excited about a guitar. Is a couple hundred bucks worth it to wait for the next example, and will you be as excited about it as this one? I definitely urge you to try to haggle. You've got nothing to lose.

3) Wax-potting helps decrease, and in some cases eliminate, the microphonics in the mini-humbuckers. It worked well in a '65 Starfire III I once had, which was completely hollow.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

dbirchett

Reaction score
With the first question you ask: "If I ever wanted to sell way down the road, would it be easy to do so like selling a 335 or Telecaster?"

It probably would not sell as quickly as a 335 or a Telecaster. Those are the fan darlings. Just like a Les Paul, it is easy to sell one because that is what every sees and thinks they want. Is it as good or better than a 335? You've answered that for yourself already and that is why you are here.

The early Starfires are great or so I remember. I really haven't played any since about the time they were new but I remember them as fantastic guitars. Mine are much later, from '98 and '01. Made in Westerly and I recommend them highly. You may want to change the pickups on the later ones but, maybe not!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
With the first question you ask: "If I ever wanted to sell way down the road, would it be easy to do so like selling a 335 or Telecaster?"
It probably would not sell as quickly as a 335 or a Telecaster.
Don's right. Sorry, I didn't really answer your first question. The demand for vintage Guilds just isn't the same as with Gibson or Fender, but Starfires are probably the best known models of the Guild line.