Pre-Fender question

steveomatic

Reaction score
Hi,

for all the historians I hope someone can help answer a question. My research tells me that Fender purchased Guild in 1995. Was the quality of the Acoustics made in 1994 right before the sale still top-notch or did it start to diminish? I am asking specifically about the D55's. I may be purchasing a mint 1994 D55 from only viewing in pictures. should I be concerned about the build quality and craftsmanship?

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When Fender bought Guild, they kept the factory where it had been for many years, in Westerly, RI. The build quality remained the same before and after the sale, since Fender didn't change the production. Your '94 is going to be just fine, as far as build quality. Any issues it may have will be the same for any guitar; contingent on use, storage, caretaking, abuse, etc...
I have a '99 F-30, well into the Fender era, and it is a wonderful guitar. With relatively few exceptions, Guild never had a "bad" period.

jazzmang

Reaction score
Yeah I'd agree. I think that quality continued to improve at the Westerly factory after Fender purchased Guild. I have some early and late Westerly examples and the later stuff is absolutely top-notch!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'd asked this question many years ago. I can't remember Paul's LTG name, but Paul worked at the Westerly plant in those transition years. Paul has told us that Fender implemented many quality controls that were nonexistent pre '95. As I recall, part of Paul's job was a final inspection and to do last chance repairs on any assembly flaws. Those Guilds, either side of that transition are my favorite. I own a '94 DV72, and a '95 DV73. Both incredible guitars, but having owned several from both sides of that transition, it does appear to me that there may have been a bit more consistency post transition.

West

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have two 94's from Westerly. Both limited run guitars but top notch in build and quality. As has been mentioned above, I don't really think Guild ever had a "bad" period. Some build differences from different eras, but consistent construction quality. I'd be happy to have a 94 D55. As AcornHouse says above, any issues will be due to the life and care it's had since it left the factory. :encouragement:

Buying online with only photos for reference can be tricky. Some sellers and vendors offer a return policy. Those that don't, I might avoid. I'm not the adventurous type.

steveomatic

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies. The 1994 D55 is said to be mint. He sent me pictures and states that there are no dings or blemishes. He said the neck is straight, showing that a straight edge will sit perfectly from the top of the frets extending to the top of the bridge. The final asking price is $1600. I think that is fair? Thoughts on that price tag?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hideglue stated that Fender formalized the warranty process, iirc. In other words, instead of just fixing it and sending it back, they​ introduced a formal procedure on warranty work. It had nothing to do with how the factory made instruments, just on the way warrantied repairs were handled.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If it's truly in mint condition with no issues, great action, tall enough saddle and passes the straight-edge test, I'd say that's a very reasonable price. D55's are kinda hard to find these days as they haven't been made in years (since New Hartford closed) and Oxnard, CA is just now building new ones. None have shipped as far as I know, at this time. So they're a little bit more scarce that they have been in years gone by. At least, the good ones.......

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hideglue stated that Fender formalized the warranty process, iirc. In other words, instead of just fixing it and sending it back, they​ introduced a formal procedure on warranty work. It had nothing to do with how the factory made instruments, just on the way warrantied repairs were handled.

I'm not sure whether I am adding to your statement or contradicting it but my always suspect memory says that one or more people who worked there during the transition stated that the quality control was improved under Fender. Specifically steps were taken to improve the consistency of products and to catch problems before they left the factory. So my recollection is that the people processes, if not the mechanical processes, were changed. There may be some definitions in play here as well. If I have the same equipment making the same pieces but I say that the result must be within 1/16" instead of 1/8" to be a good and useful part have I changed the way things are made?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'd asked this question many years ago. I can't remember Paul's LTG name, but Paul worked at the Westerly plant in those transition years. Paul has told us that Fender implemented many quality controls that were nonexistent pre '95.
Hideglue.
Actually his point was that Fender instituted a checklist (that's what didn't exist before) to ensure that all QC checks were done consistently.***
You might recall that later he had to clarify his comment "QC reached its zenith under Fender" to say just that, that the guitars themselves weren't any better, just that there was a much lower percentage of QC failure.
It had been taken to mean that under Fender they actually built better guitars (contrary to internet myth), and Paul needed to take pains to say that's not what he meant at all.
Also ,for the OP:
Bear in mind the sale wasn't actually final until October '95 so the real first year of their impact on production was most likely '96.
My D25 would certainly seem to bear that out.
As I recall, part of Paul's job was a final inspection and to do last chance repairs on any assembly flaws. Those Guilds, either side of that transition are my favorite. I own a '94 DV72, and a '95 DV73. Both incredible guitars, but having owned several from both sides of that transition, it does appear to me that there may have been a bit more consistency post transition.
West
I'd forgotten about that part of his experiece, thanks for reminder!

***Edit: Guilty of posting before reading whole thread again, I see Frono also brought this up, consider my post a corroboration.

Last edited: