Yep...I Bought It!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
.... I just know for sure D40's started getting drop-ins in '67.

Don't know how many D-40s from '67 you've seen with a drop-in saddle, but what you've seen were most likely instruments with a replacement bridge.
My research puts the change from 'through' saddle to 'drop-in' style quite a bit later!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
Beating a dead horse here...but I'm still loving this F20 with the so-called 70's neck on the 69 bod. The scale length is perhaps a bit off (?) measuring 12 3/8" to the 12th fret but shorter than 24 3/4" to the middle of the saddle. There is a slightly sharper intonation above the 4th fret equal across all the strings. Neck reset??? Tricky I'll bet, since the length needs a bit of stretching. Shim then cosmetics?

My tuner can tell but my ear can't. I'm not sure I should bother, as the angle is very nice and I was able to get comfortable action w/o compromising much saddle height.

I felt it was sounding a bit harshly bright with the 80/20's so I swapped them out for La Bella silk and steel. Happy with them so far from a flat picking perspective.

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
An update and a question. I found a perfect balance using Dunlop 80/20 12's for 4th, 5th, 6th string combined with LaBella Silk and Steel for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I just got off the phone to see if my guitar guy wasn't too backed up to get it in to be set up properly, and woefully find out if it needs a reset, based on the intonation going sharp past 4. After which I decided to tune it up to standard, 2 steps higher than I play in, just to see how the top responds. Well...it sounds clearer, better, if you will, to my ear, and after clipping the tuner on, discovered it no longer loses it's pitch up the neck. Right on the freekin' note. WTF? Can't explain.

Did I just save myself 300 bucks?

Last edited: