Hoboken D-35

Reaction score
I found a Guild D-35 for sale with a "Guild Guitars Inc. Hoboken, New Jersey U.S.A" label asking $1,500 US. The guitar appears to be in good condition.
The serial number is OJ 2287 (The O could be a Q or ?) Does anyone know what year this would have been built and if the asking price is reasonable?

Last edited by a moderator:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!

The SN lists are incomplete... and it is not uncommon for early Westerly-made guitars to have Hoboken labels.

This could be a late '69 or an earlier '70. I'd bet on the latter (early '70 made in Westerly). Although Hoboken guitars command a bit more, I think this (probably a Westerly) is overpriced. D-35s don't get the respect they deserve... a nice mid-late '70s Westerly can often be priced less than the same years/condition D-25.

Hans Moust would know when and where it was made... if he doesn't chime in soon, you might PM or e-mail him.

Last edited:
Reaction score
On one hand, that price seems high to me. On the other, a D-35 is a plain-appointments version of a D-40, and a good one in clean condition could be a considerable guitar.

Br1ck

Reaction score
My 70 has a Hoboken sticker, and I have $1200 invested in mine, $200 for the wreck and a grand for the reset, refret, bridge, saddle and neck respray (someone stripped it). I consider that to be the most I'd invest in one considering the market, but would you find something better for that? Maybe not.
All the D 18s I like (mid-late 60s) are over two bills now.

A Westerly with a Hoboken sticker is a great vintage.