How does this happen? Binding on Starfire.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This looks to be an '80s Starfire. It's on Reverb here: https://reverb.com/item/3877644-guild-sf-4

I asked for more pics and got these. The guitar seems to be in great shape except for this which is on both cutaways. You can zoom in if you view the pics in another window.

What causes this? Poor finish? Poor binding? Binding shrinkage? Was the guitar re-bound at some point?

zzwvormmogteqbytwmht.jpg

eugyy1mkkzujzeyrfi3m.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm betting the binding has been off and reglued; probably due to binding seperation at those sharp curves. When they took it off, they weren't careful about scoring the finish first.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'm betting the binding has been off and reglued; probably due to binding seperation at those sharp curves. When they took it off, they weren't careful about scoring the finish first.

I don't think so -- and I sort of doubt one that new shrunk enough for somebody to bother regluing (and, if it had, it would've already pulled away from those two spots beforehand). I'm guessing that, with this one having color coats up over the edge of the binding, that the binding shrunk just a little bit and lifted the finish away from the wood in the cutaways along with it. No longer adhered to anything, the suspended layer of finish chipped off over time. It could be touched up pretty easily to look quite a bit better (but never perfect). It wouldn't scare me away from buying the guitar, but it's a lot of missing finish (and likely more lifted finish not yet chipped away) and I'd expect to get it a few hundred cheaper than one w/o the issue.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a '99 D4 that the binding was shrinking off at the waist.

Neal

Reaction score
Possibly impact damage when the guitar fell forward off of stand onto the fretboard extension? The force of impact might have traveled to the the cutaways, where they flexed as the horns vibrated.

matsickma

Reaction score
I have a burst 70's SF4 with a similar issue but maybe not as bad. I assumed the clear coat applied after the binding was installed cracked away pulling the pieces if paint or stain away. Having the right humidity over the last 40 years isn't easily achieved!
M

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To Scientifically answer the question of , "How Does This Happen?".

First off there is a Mommy Starfire III and a Daddy Starfire IV. Both of these guitars are madly in love. Sooner or later one thing leads to another and the Mommy Starfire III and The Daddy Starfire IV rub up against each other ultimately leading to the birth of a baby Starfire V. Then one night while the Mommy Starfire III is at home making dinner with the Baby Starfire V, The Daddy Starfire IV calls home and says he has to "work late" that night so don't wait up. After becoming suspicious the Mommy Starfire III tracks down the Daddy Starfire IV and catches him uncontrollably rubbing up against some 21 year old Blues 90 in a Barre named Chords. Upon the Mommy Starfire III catching the Daddy Starfire IV cheating Transparently Red Handed she proceeds to Smack the Nitro Finish out of his bindings in front of everyone which results in the situation you have pictured above.

Some people may hesitate to prescribe to this theory but I am pretty sure it is spot on.:applouse:

TX

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
Daddy Starfire IV better buy Mommy Starfire III some jewelry, pronto!