bridge replacement for Starfire

mellowgerman

Reaction score
But what about the curve o the SF body?

There's really not enough of an arch to the top of the body in the spot where the bridge is mounted to cause a functional issue. Sure the corners have a bit of lift to them, but I'd still say at least 80% of the bridge was making contact. Similar to mounting a Hipshot Supertone on an Epiphone Casady signature bass. Perfectly functional.
In any case, I will try to get my buddy who has the sunburst '67 currently to send a few photos of the bridge area when he gets a chance. Busy guy though, so that may take a few days

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool. Thanks. My only issue with the harp is lack of travel to get intonated on the low E, and broken wood saddles (replaced with brass). Guess I could file the E slot though.
But maybe I should not mess with my SF anymore since I am thinking of selling it to make room for a JSII some day.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool. Thanks. My only issue with the harp is lack of travel to get intonated on the low E, and broken wood saddles (replaced with brass). Guess I could file the E slot though.
But maybe I should not mess with my SF anymore since I am thinking of selling it to make room for a JSII some day.

Or, if you intend to continue vintage, you can justify your experiments on the Starfire by saying they are a rehearsal so that whatever you do to the JS it will be done right the first time and a mod you will love forever :)

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Since the JS has humbuckers, if it’s noisy all it’ll need is copper shielding in the cavity to be good to go. I would not like to mod an original vintage instrument. No no no. Keep as is if at all possible.

What I learned from the NS Starfire:
1. My NS Bisonic is a low quality, noisy pickup, as evidenced by noise, and wafer thin melted plastic surround that eventually fell apart.
2. It’s hard to work on and shield electronics in a semi-hollow body. I’m sticking’ to solid bodies from now on.
3. Semi-hollow tone isn’t that different to my ears than a solid body so just stick to the easier workability of solid bodies from now on.
4. Never settle for a brand new production bass that is a bad cosmetic factory blemish at full price no matter how unobtainium the model seems at the time. I am talking about the infamous fingerboard edge fog mentioned to be seen on pre-CMG NS Starfire like mine had.
5. Never let a vendor getaway with selling such.
6. The harp bridge is fantastic despite the low E issue.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Every JS bass I have seen or asked the question about, came from the factory with copper foil lining, and shielding, the control cavity.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Lengthen the slider play on the E string so the saddle can be nudged up a smidge. It helps a lot.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Here is a guy with a fender type looking bridge mounted on his Starfire with what appears to be a foam base between it and the bass face. Looks like a solid connection. At 3:16 you get a good look at how it is on there: