Looking for a Guild FIshman Prefix Pro

swiveltung

Reaction score
Looking for a Guild Fishman Prefix Pro onboard preamp. Narrow format ("mini") Anyone got a good one they removed?
The preamp in my Songbird is problematic. I think this one will fit.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy

You are not telling us the meaning of "problematic" - is it basically good but not working right - or do you simply wish to have something different?

I assume we are talking about first alternative - Why not just fix it or have someone fix it - can not be that complicated circuit ?

In my Songbird - while looking at it, there is one dual-op-amp in socket and one transistor plus about dozen pasive components. If it is hissing or " frying eggs " then swap the op-amp - TLO72 - 82 - 92 will do - just mind the right position. Then try that transistor - I did not look it´s number - you have to look - then all there is are those few capacitors - just replace them all, if it is something else. That should do the trick.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Howdy

You are not telling us the meaning of "problematic" - is it basically good but not working right - or do you simply wish to have something different?

I assume we are talking about first alternative - Why not just fix it or have someone fix it - can not be that complicated circuit ?

In my Songbird - while looking at it, there is one dual-op-amp in socket and one transistor plus about dozen pasive components. If it is hissing or " frying eggs " then swap the op-amp - TLO72 - 82 - 92 will do - just mind the right position. Then try that transistor - I did not look it´s number - you have to look - then all there is are those few capacitors - just replace them all, if it is something else. That should do the trick.

Hi, thanks for offering help. It hums. Not huge but enough to bother me. Started after the guitar sat unused for some time, now done this for a couple years. I've been using a soundhole pickup lately. I tried a new piezo, no luck. I had the preamp module out and tried to find anything obvious. I replaced the endpin jack eventually too. Been messing with it a lot... Had it apart so many times I'm just fed up. I found a new Fishman Prefix mini... it's on the way. Should be better anyway. I suppose I could have replaced a bunch of the components on the little board like you say ( I work on and build my own guitar amps etc) . When you say "dual-op-amp in socket " You mean in the endpin jack? There was no components in my jack.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Howdy

Evidently my posts require approval so take a while...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could have replaced a bunch of the components on the little board like you say ( I work on and build my own guitar amps etc) . When you say "dual-op-amp in socket " You mean in the endpin jack? There was no components in my jack.

HI Swiveltung:
No I'm sure he meant in an IC socket, similar to a tube socket to facilitate easy replacement or to avoid heat damage from soldering.
Possibly he's got a version that's built that way.
Initially I was going to say Nuuska's post was a better answer than mine, and since you build your own amps I'd say even more so.
And given that experience I expect if the problem could be found you would have found it.
That is a surprise about your posts still needing to be cleared since you've been a member for 13 years, but it's indexed to post count and it's taking quite a while for your count to get over the threshold.
:glee:
Hope that gives you a chuckle, and good luck with the Prefix mini!

swiveltung

Reaction score
HI Swiveltung:
No I'm sure he meant in an IC socket, similar to a tube socket to facilitate easy replacement or to avoid heat damage from soldering.
Possibly he's got a version that's built that way.
Initially I was going to say Nuuska's post was a better answer than mine, and since you build your own amps I'd say even more so.
And given that experience I expect if the problem could be found you would have found it.
That is a surprise about your posts still needing to be cleared since you've been a member for 13 years, but it's indexed to post count and it's taking quite a while for your count to get over the threshold.
Hope that gives you a chuckle, and good luck with the Prefix mini!

The new prefix I have coming is a Guild Label NOS.. fingers crossed... I probably should have just tried replacing components as mentioned I suppose...
I hadn't been here for a while and had to re do my password to get back. Maybe the delay has something to do with that, I must be in the "new member " category or something. No biggy.
Writing this post at 11:53 am 4/5/17. Let's see how it does

Later: well it posted immediately!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good morning

I just came to think, that I have grounded my strings - that will help to reduce hum.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How the heck did you ground your strings?

Hi

I took about 6 inches of stranded bare wire - soldered both ends so they will not fray - soldered one end to electronics ground and then put the other end up through first stringhole - down next - up third - down fourth - up fifth - down sixth

swiveltung

Reaction score

swiveltung

Reaction score
The new prefix I have coming is a Guild Label NOS.. fingers crossed... I probably should have just tried replacing components as mentioned I suppose...
I hadn't been here for a while and had to re do my password to get back. Maybe the delay has something to do with that, I must be in the "new member " category or something. No biggy.
Writing this post at 11:53 am 4/5/17. Let's see how it does

Later: well it posted immediately!

Just thought I'd update this. Bought a new Fishman "Pre-sys preamp Mini" module, also the specific piezo that goes with that preamp, the whole she-bang. Installed it with a lot of cussing along the way. Works fine and still hums a bit! Third go around on this so I guess it's "nature of the beast"......if I keep the EQ somewhat neutral the hum isn't too much. I noticed the new pre-sys has a lot of foil shielding built in to the module.... not that it works any better than the old one! Not enough hum to bother while playing but when I stop... does it with all setups, amps and PA plug in.

swiveltung

Reaction score
yeah, I thought it was high too. Trouble factor.... Drilling holes in thin brass not fun.. If I had a metal punch it would be simple.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, I thought it was high too. Trouble factor.... Drilling holes in thin brass not fun.. If I had a metal punch it would be simple.

Actually it would be good if the plate was at least 1mm thick - about 1/25th of an inch - when are you guys going to get metric . . . ? ? ?

At 1mm or thicker drilling is no problem if you have a wise under your drill press - did I use right names for tools ?

swiveltung

Reaction score
Actually it would be good if the plate was at least 1mm thick - about 1/25th of an inch - when are you guys going to get metric . . . ? ? ?

At 1mm or thicker drilling is no problem if you have a wise under your drill press - did I use right names for tools ?

When is the world going to metric time? 10 hours a day, 10 minutes per hour.....
No more 4/4 time in music either. Gotta be 10/10!
Pi? We don't need no effing Pi! Pi will now be 10.
:>)

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When is the world going to metric time? 10 hours a day, 10 minutes per hour.....
No more 4/4 time in music either. Gotta be 10/10!
Pi? We don't need no effing Pi! Pi will now be 10.
:>)

Howdy

We have 86400 seconds per day now - so going metric would mean we could at same time improve precision - let´s make it 100 000 sec/day

SO

1 day = 10 X
1 X = 10 Y = 2,4 hours = 144 minutes
1 Y = 10 Z = 14.4 minutes = 864 seconds
1 Z = 10 Q = 86.4 seconds
1 Q = 10 W =8,64 seconds
1 W = ,864 seconds

I leave naming of X Y Z Q W for you . . .

So our timing would improve some - from W down we would simply use mW and uW and nW and pW and so forth

The phrase "just a moment" would get new exiting meanings . . .

One problem arises immediately - at what we now call "skip year" there might be some interesting clocktweaking going on - naturally we might do it every new year and forget about skip years completely !

Adorshki wrote : When Guild does.

Actually on their homepage there is plenty of information in metric values - plus unless they are clinging to past, their machinery is operating in metrics . . .

Time to hit the hay - good night

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki wrote : When Guild does.

Actually on their homepage there is plenty of information in metric values - plus unless they are clinging to past, their machinery is operating in metrics . . .

Time to hit the hay - good night
I'd be very surprised if the Oxnard machinery is calibrated metrically unless it's imported.
I can guarantee you the archback press isn't.
It was made when the term "metric" was considered untranslated Latin here. :biggrin-new:
Actually the question did come up recently in another thread and basically, here in the US, there's just too much embedded infrastructure to pull it off.
There was in fact a concerted effort at metric conversion here in the '70's, which was allowed to die a slow death in the face of rampant apathy.
Interestingly member TXbumper who worked in the oilfield apparatus industry for a while took pains to post that all of that machinery is calibrated in thousandths of an inch, where extreme precision of alignment of very large tooling and fittings is crucial to safe and successful operation.
Best we can hope for currently is the dual-labeling we have on a lot of stuff.
Like Guild's website.
:friendly_wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Howdy

We have 86400 seconds per day now - so going metric would mean we could at same time improve precision - let´s make it 100 000 sec/day

I think things went sideways when ancient astronomers tried to reconcile 365.25 days in a solar year with 20 digits split up between 4 appendages and only 28 days in a lunar cycle.
And then there's the atomic clock...
:biggrin-new: