J. Geils gone at 71

CA-35

Reaction score
John Geils Jr. lit up the stage years ago........now he's whammin and jammin somewhere else.............RIP John

j_geils_web.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The J. Geils Band was huge in Boston, that's for sure! R.I.P.

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well this year is just continuing on the trend of the last one. This Sucks. RIP J. Geils, Thanks for all the Great music.

TX

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
When their first album came out, the J. Giles Band shined a bright light on hard core blues when rock was at a low point.
I first saw them opening for Yes and Headliner Ten Years after; that illustrates where music was at the time. Their no nonsense approach and dedication to good music really opened my eyes and ears.
J. Made an indelible impression on me; I have a Les Paul because that's what he played.
Thanks, J.; play on!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Thanks for posting! That is an impressive collection of archtop guitars. I appreciated his humility and his wealth of knowledge about the history of electric guitar.

Bill

Last edited:
Reaction score
Big fan here. Saw them in July 1973 and September 1975 at small venues. I also saw Jerome perform with his jazz trio (Duke Robillard and Gerry Beaudoin) in 2003. If you search the web (youtube), you can find interviews with Jerome discussing his guitar and vintage car collection. Not your normal collections, that for sure.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
J Geils Live 1972 Detroit: one of the best albums ever!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
RE the amp Mavuser put up above, I would say probably one of many. A local resident, he occasionally had pieces in a local music store. As I recall he was a jazzer in his later years. I remember a brown Super that I would have died for showing up in the shop downtown...

Sadly, with his passing, a bunch of legitimate (and probably no so much so) stuff will surface at premium prices, trying to jump onto the bandwagon :heart-borken:

Please do not interpret my post as a dig against our esteemed member Mavuser...

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That guy's delusional if he thinks he's going to get $3000 for a TR; I don't care who owned it.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
maybe he owned it, maybe he didn't, but JG is not relevant enough to effect the value of that amp. If I were going to lie i'd pick a more famous dead person, that didn't die a couple days before.

If it were a Blackface * Vibrolux * Reverb, owned by just your average everyday commoner, 3K is not so unrealistic to be honest, would have easilly gotten that a few years ago. with patience could still pull that. the Twin though, is just too loud. way too much supply, much less demand in comparison. could prob get a nice silverface twin reverb for 500 on a good day.