An interesting podcast with Guild historical content and veers

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Available here.

This is from Fretboard Summit 2016. It features Rick Turner, Jack Casady and Dan Schwartz. The Guild specific content includes Jack's original modified Starfire that was stolen and was recently recovered, Dan's M85 that was a gift from Phil Lesh, a comment about how Jack's B-30 is not all that easy or fun to play, and how two Starfires were ordered to replace the stolen one and that one went right to Turner to be modified. There are a lot of stories about the work and innovation that happened before Alembic was a company but are usually attributed to Alembic. Comments about Jack and his father building Heathkit equipment. General comments about research and development in the area of pickups and implication that was essentially funded by the Dead, the Airplane and other bands that were striving for better sound. A lot of discussion of things that were tried and why, such as movable pickups.

It's almost two hours so you may want to multitask but it is check full of good stuff.

I think Dan posted on LTG that this was happening, before the summit. The story of the M85 has been told here before as has the stolen Starfire and it's recovery and restoration by Turner. If the turns into a thread I might even get around to finding links to those posts.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. This is in my podcast feed but I haven't listened to it yet due to its length. But now that I know there's Guild stuff involved… :)

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think Dan posted on LTG that this was happening, before the summit. The story of the M85 has been told here before as has the stolen Starfire and it's recovery and restoration by Turner. If the turns into a thread I might even get around to finding links to those posts.

This sounds like a good foundation for a sticky, and that'd make it easy to add those links and future ones at leisure without having to search for this thread.
I'll ante one up, the recovery of Jack's lost Starfire bass:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?188762-It-s-back!/page3
Here's another, about Phil's:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?192651-the-more-knobs-you-have&highlight=knobs

Next?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was also very amused when D.C. native Jack talked about a dining room table that had been in his parent's house that was now with Jack's brother "over in Fairfax". Now I'm going to watch local Craig's list for furniture :)

gilded

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, frono, it was very informative on many levels. Jack's dad making an enclosed bass cab that would fit into the back of a '50 Pontiac straight six will stay with me for a long time.

I wonder if they had to take out the spare tire!!!

Last edited: