It's been a day or two - NGD!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually it was yesterday. Sometimes I have to work and stuff.

1985 (not verified) S280 Flyer

This is my first Kahler since the late '80s. I don't hate it as much as I remember.

5D3_0202_1600.jpg

I think this may be my first bolt-neck Guild. It's got some finish damage but it's really hard to see because of the blinding white. It's quite nimble and fun to play and has a very Strat-like feel to it. I don't yet know what pickups are in it, but judging by the adjustment screw in the bridge I'm going to guess that one isn't original.

Sounds great! My daughter walked in, saw it, grabbed it, and played it for two hours. Of all my guitars she says this one is the best, and that's with the Liberator Elite right next to it. BTW she says the Liberator Elite is "ugly". She likes solid colors on guitars and gravitates more towards the oddly shaped models. I think she'd probably like a Jazzmaster. She's got that not-quite-hipster-wish-she-grew-up-in-the-90s vibe going on. I have a feeling that once I'm done with the review it will be hers since she says that she likes it better than the NS Bluesbird she's currently playing. Genetics probably indicate that she'll want to keep them both.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, that's another beauty! And even better if it stays in the family!

walrus

Neal

Reaction score
You, sir, are my guitar-buying hero.

BTW, I was raising little kids in the '90's and missed the whole thing. What was it like?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats GAD! Seems to me your daughter has good taste. Sometimes simplicity is far better a virtue than versatility in the comparison of the Flyer and the Liberator Elite. In my opinion the flyer knows what it is and does that job very well while the Liberator is trying to be too many things at once. Although I do understand the lure of the Liberator Elite as they are very Rare and were built at the Culmination of the Decade of Decadence. I have a 1984 Aviator set neck with the original Kahler on it just like the flyer and I have never understood why so many folks disliked them. Congrats again on 2 great Guilds and I am firm believer that the Flyer bolt on neck Guilds are some on the most under rated guitars from that period of time. If they had any other name on the neck they would probably cost twice as much.

By the way, If you decide to move the Liberator I would like to be first in line unless others are already. While it is trying to be too many things at one time I have always had a hankering for one in good shape to try out for myself.

TX

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a 1984 Aviator set neck with the original Kahler on it just like the flyer and I have never understood why so many folks disliked them.TX

One reason is because since they have the fine tuners on the top of the bridge when you palm mute you knock them out of tune. My friend who used to play a Flyer would tune the guitar and then put a strip of duck tape over the tuner screws! A Floyd Rose has the tuning screws at the back where they are out of the way.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh good LORD!! And so now..... THIS is it, right? LMAO!! I like this! I can see your daughter loving this thing. Tonight Don was showing me guitars on his phone at Happy Hour and he said, "White guitars are nice!" I said, I agree, run it by me first then BUY ONE!!" They say there's strength in numbers but.... it depends on the numbers. Congrats, GAD!!! :encouragement:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One reason is because since they have the fine tuners on the top of the bridge when you palm mute you knock them out of tune. My friend who used to play a Flyer would tune the guitar and then put a strip of duck tape over the tuner screws! A Floyd Rose has the tuning screws at the back where they are out of the way.

Thanks for that bit of info Grot! While I have never had issues with mine I can see where others would run into that problem.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats GAD! Seems to me your daughter has good taste. Sometimes simplicity is far better a virtue than versatility in the comparison of the Flyer and the Liberator Elite. In my opinion the flyer knows what it is and does that job very well while the Liberator is trying to be too many things at once. Although I do understand the lure of the Liberator Elite as they are very Rare and were built at the Culmination of the Decade of Decadence. I have a 1984 Aviator set neck with the original Kahler on it just like the flyer and I have never understood why so many folks disliked them. Congrats again on 2 great Guilds and I am firm believer that the Flyer bolt on neck Guilds are some on the most under rated guitars from that period of time. If they had any other name on the neck they would probably cost twice as much.

By the way, If you decide to move the Liberator I would like to be first in line unless others are already. While it is trying to be too many things at one time I have always had a hankering for one in good shape to try out for myself.

TX

You're not first in line. :)

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow, you're making me dizzy! Is your day job buying Guild guitars?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, you're making me dizzy! Is your day job buying Guild guitars?

How cool would that be? Get paid for spending money on guitars. I like it!

I travel the country (and sometimes the world) teaching networking classes that I also write (I also design the labs and a bunch of other stuff). When I'm traveling I often have hours alone sitting in a hotel room and I tend not to go out because I've been there and honestly, surfing eBay, Reverb, and such is probably cheaper.

I also make money from writing which is where most of the guitar money comes from. These buying sprees tend to happen in spurts. You'll likely see me lay low for a month at a time while I write chapters for the next book then I pop up and let off some steam.

Since I write reviews on the guitars I'll often buy them for a great price then sell them back into the LTG community so sometimes I only have a guitar for a month or so and because I got it for a great price I don't really lose anything when I sell it. Sometimes I do, but for me if I lose $100 it's like I paid $100 to rent the guitar for a month. Sometimes it's a total loss because my daughter lays claim to it, but I love that she's into them so that's cool, too.

Neal

Reaction score
Spending seven years on the road as a consultant, living much of my life in hotel rooms and airports, is what got me addicted to guitars.

The choice was either playing tunes in my room, or drinking in the hotel bar, which as GAD pointed out, could eventually cost a person a whole lot more.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You're not first in line. :)

I didn't figure I would be but put me in line where ever I fall, LOL. Probably a good thing since I am having a new roof put on the house this coming week, That is more expensive than any guitar habit!

TX

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I made the shift from keyboard centric to moar guitar! due to frequent traveling. The guitar was/is a headless Steinberger. But now that I travel less (being retired it's now only for adventure & pleasure) I can indulge in less portable guitars! And other house-filling musical gear…

-Dave-

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sounds like a very challenging career; I certainly understand your choice of how to spend your down time away from home.
As the recipient of one of your 'rentals' , I wholeheartedly applaud your hobby. I really enjoy the reviews of the guitars, even the pointy ones I personally have no use for. Looking forward to the next batch of reviews.