Ngd '05 f-50r

Reaction score
I remember when I was shopping for F50's, before I found mine, and I had read that the Tacoma-built guitars were really great instruments. I looked for a deal on one, but couldn't find one! LOL!

BTW, I thought that the Tacoma guitars had placed the Guild logo a lot higher on the headstock...on some of the pictures I saw of Tacoma/Guilds, the "Guild" was almost in the cloud. But on your guitar, it's right where they are on N.H.'s. I wonder when they changed that?

Neal

Reaction score
Turns out that Guild is now offering compensated bone saddles that are made for USA models, which I am told by Córdoba is the same design as the elegant compensated curve of the New Hartford era.

I ordered one ($15.99, including shipping), and will provide a full report when it arrives. Anything that is bone and fits will be a huge improvement over the plastic monstrosity that is on there now.

Retro Rocker, yes, the nut is bone and in good condition. The photos I have seen of other "unmolested" early (2005) Tacoma F-50's show an uncompensated bone saddle.

I have already replaced the awful black plastic bridge pins with white bone pins, complete with abolone dots to match the fretboard inlay.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Turns out that Guild is now offering compensated bone saddles that are made for USA models, which I am told by Córdoba is the same design as the elegant compensated curve of the New Hartford era.

I ordered one ($15.99, including shipping), and will provide a full report when it arrives. Anything that is bone and fits will be a huge improvement over the plastic monstrosity that is on there now.

Retro Rocker, test, the nut is bone and in good condition. The photos I have seen of other "unmolested" early (2005) Tacoma F-50's show an uncompensated bone saddle.

I have already replaced the aweful black plastic bridge pins with white bone pins, complete with abolone dots to match the fretboard inlay.

Ahem....can't a guy get a little respect, or at least an honorable mention? Isn't the guy who turned you on to this baby Rich Cohen? Can't wait to hear you play it The Local or Durty Nellie's! :neglected:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Definitely let me know how the New Compensated Bone Saddle from Oxnard pans out Neal. If they are the same as the New Hartford models that would be Awesome as that means there is now a viable replacement that is readily available for New Hartford acoustics as well. That is so much easier than scouring the internet for a mom and pop shop that still has some old stock left on the shelf. Hope it all works out!

TX

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Definitely let me know how the New Compensated Bone Saddle from Oxnard pans out Neal. If they are the same as the New Hartford models that would be Awesome as that means there is now a viable replacement that is readily available for New Hartford acoustics as well. That is so much easier than scouring the internet for a mom and pop shop that still has some old stock left on the shelf. Hope it all works out!

TX

I hate to admit it, but I only have an inkling as to why compensated saddles are better. Can you enlighten me?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On some acoustics it allows you to dial in the intonation on the B string or second string so it is right on all the way up the fretboard the same as the other 5 strings. If installed properly it does away with sharp or flat notes as you play further up the neck. It also in my experience it also creates a bit more Break Angle on the B string at the bridge which really lets it sing. Some acoustics have the bridge slot routed at more of an angle to allow for a straight bridge that gets the intonation close but acoustics like all of the New Hartford Guilds came built with the Compensated Bone Saddle. Finding an exact replacement for it like Neal is ordering from Oxnard really cuts down on the busy work to try and recreate what came from the factory.

TX

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like your humor! :highly_amused: I bought my first guitar (Martin D-28 in 1971 from 8th Street Music, when it actually was ON 8th Street in Philly.

8th Street Music (the Pennsauken version) started me on this path to Guildian Ruination by selling me a Tacoma DV-6 that had me at first strum, even with dead, oxidized two-year-old strings. To this day I love handing it to Martin players with much more $$$ in their guitars and seeing their crestfallen expressions.

That purchase led to this group, which led to the results below in my signature.

Neal

Reaction score
Plus, the elegant, wavy compensated saddles from New Hartford just look cool.

IIRC, later Tacoma models had them as well.

My Huss and Daltons do also.