1959 Guild X50 Strings

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Brand new to the forum. Just got a Guild X50 shipped to me by my father. Absolutely love this thing however the strings sound a bit rough. Any recommendations on string options? Curious if people typically put acoustic strings or electric on these? It will primarily be used as an electric. Thanks for the help/tips!!!

Minty Green

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have a CE100 which is from the same year and is not too dissimilar. Mine is strung with Thomastik Infeld Swing Flatwound Strings, with gauge 0.11 for the top E. They're actually a little on the light side and I'm considering getting a heavier gauge, but that's mainly because I play jazz and don't need to do much string bending and stuff. The advantage of using flatwounds is that you get very little squeaking on the strings when you're moving your fretting hand across the fretboard and a more mellow sound but it depends on what style you like playing.

Also some pics of your guitar would be very welcome!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a '65 X-50 - definitely electric strings!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I put flatwounds on my archtops as a matter of course. Sometimes 11s (both M75s), usually 12s. The TI Jazz/Swings are low tension for their gauges too. And they last forevah.

-Dave-

Neal

Reaction score
I actually have my '54 X-50 strung up right now with light/medium gauge acoustic PB's. I have adjusted the pole pieces on the wound strings all the way up, and the unwound strings all the way down to achieve decent balance.

It sounds great acoustically, and way better than I thought it would plugged in.

I guess it all depends on the tone you are after.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I actually have my '54 X-50 strung up right now with light/medium gauge acoustic PB's. I have adjusted the pole pieces on the wound strings all the way up, and the unwound strings all the way down to achieve decent balance.

It sounds great acoustically, and way better than I thought it would plugged in.

I guess it all depends on the tone you are after.

j5jllc.jpg
"Did somebody say strings?"

And here I was set to pop up with my "EJ-16's on everything!!!" joke, when you're actually doing it!
:glee:
(and I had to fill in for Pascal who never wants to miss a string thread)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

And here I was set to pop up with my "EJ-16's on everything!!!" joke, when you're actually doing it!
:glee:
(and I had to fill in for Pascal who never wants to miss a string thread)

Al, I now put EJ16s on everything.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
(I had to fill in for Pascal who never wants to miss a string thread)
Now THAT I appreciate.... and you even pushed the kindness so far as to take my groundhog out for his usual string thread sniffing routine.
Much obliged my friend.