Clean mold off a hard case

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Any suggestions on the best way to clean mold off a hard shell case? Fortunately it did its job and there's no problem in the interior or on the guitar. I'm guessing Clorox or something similar.
Brad

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As nasty as bleach is/can be, it does work. I learned the hard way (nothing to do with a guitar case) that it is necessary to remove the bleach after it has done it's job, and to minimize any contact with metal, as bleach is corrosive. Of course, it is even more important to protect yourself, as it can be deadly.

Bleach works best on non-porous surfaces, so keep that in mind when spraying other material(s). Start with the "concentrated" stuff (8.25% sodium hypochlorite), dilute it approximately 1 part bleach to 7 parts water (it can be diluted more, up to 1 in 10, 1 cup bleach in a gallon of water), put it in a spray bottle, strategically spray the surface(s) where the mold resides, and keep it off your skin (and clothes). THEN, rinse with fresh water and dry with paper towels.

Note that water is present, both in the diluted bleach as well as the rinse, and mold loves water.

There are other approaches, such as non-chlorine oxygen-based products (peroxide, etc.), but I have not had much experience using those with mold remediation.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Christopher, my solution to neutralizing bleach (which is a very effective chemical) has been a diluted vinegar solution. Then rinse? Does that work or am I making it worse? I'm stumped. When I use chlorine bleach in the washer, I always put at least a half a cup of white vinegar in the first rinse. Then the second rinse seems to do okay and everything comes out clean and white and smelling nice. But I didn't pay attention in chemistry and so..... what? On the outside of the case I'd think you can attack fairly aggressively, but be careful what gets inside. The outside you can rinse like crazy?

Zelja

Reaction score
I have done this recently. I found some info online regarding gettting rid of mold & lots of people don't recommend bleach as it leaves the mould spores there to come back later.

I used a solution of warm water, vinegar & some bicarbonate of soda to doing the actual cleaning & the vinegar kills most of the mould apparently.

I then made a solution of a of a few healthy drops of clove oil into 0.5 litres of water (bit less than a pint I think) and put it in a spray bottle. The clove oil is what kills the unseen spores.

Spray it on & leave for 20 minutes, then wipe off. Then spray it on again and leave it to dry. I sprayed a little bit on the inside of the cases as well & let it dry.Try to get the cases out into sunlight for a while as well as mould doesn't like that, so they say.

Only did this last week or two so can't gove any guarantees but am hopeful.

Some links:
http://accidental-greenie.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/get-rid-of-mould-after-floods-with.html
http://www.kidspot.com.au/lifestyle...w-to-remove-mould-and-mildew-from-any-surface

Good luck.

bobouz

Reaction score
I use Windex & a cotton cloth on the outside. This may need to be done periodically.

If there's anything happening on the inside (rather rare), I use Shark vacuum attachments & go over every inch of the interior multiple times. If that doesn't do the trick & it returns on the inside, I get rid of the case.

Best solution of all is to buy a thermoplastic SKB-type case!

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably go with the vinegar idea first-we use it for cleaning in the bathroom already, so have it in a spray bottle.
Brad

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
I have been quite satisfied with diluted vinegar for that purpose. I apply it liberally with a towel and scrub with a soft brush. Wipe it off with a different water dampened towel. No problems.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Christopher, my solution to neutralizing bleach (which is a very effective chemical) has been a diluted vinegar solution...
Tom, I am no chemist, but I have always heard that vinegar and bleach can produce toxic fumes (I know ammonia and bleach is deadly).

Vinegar can be effective as a mold destroyer (I never realized just *how* effective) and, when combined with other agents such as borax, baking soda, peroxide, etc., evidently can be an even better solution (pun intended). What you watch bleach do in front of your eyes will take much longer with vinegar, but the vinegar is completely non-toxic.

From what I gather, bleach is only truly effective on non-porous surfaces (and it's still nasty stuff!). It will kill the surface mold(s), but roots within a non-porous material will survive and enable the mold to revive. Remembering that mold(s) luv water, soaking a non-porous surface with vinegar may exacerbate the situation.

I like Zelja's idea regarding the Clove Oil, as it smells great, definitely an improvement over nasty bleach.

More investigation is certainly warranted on my part...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey Christopher, my solution to neutralizing bleach (which is a very effective chemical) has been a diluted vinegar solution. Then rinse? Does that work or am I making it worse? I'm stumped. When I use chlorine bleach in the washer, I always put at least a half a cup of white vinegar in the first rinse. Then the second rinse seems to do okay and everything comes out clean and white and smelling nice. But I didn't pay attention in chemistry and so..... what? On the outside of the case I'd think you can attack fairly aggressively, but be careful what gets inside. The outside you can rinse like crazy?

Bleach is a base vinegar's an acid, they neutralize each in the proper ratios.
If you mix them together directly, however, chlorine gas'll be generated (that's the byproduct of the neutralization).
Being super cheap, the only reason they don't use it in gas chambers is that it'd be a cruel and unusual death compared to what they do use.
:tongue-new:

There's a great thread about all the ramifications of using vinegar in a washing machine on the Let's Talk Laundry Forum:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2414961/dont-use-vinegar-in-your-washing-machine

Clove oil in sufficient concentration is mildly hallucinogenic and in low concentrations is a known euphoriant.
Ask me how I know:
15f9469fcd4e4e2a728119f3501d606d.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I doubt a half a cup of vinegar to neutralize the pH in a large capacity washer diluted to the extreme used every six months or so is going to ruin my washing machine. I really do. This machine will probably outlive me!! So I'm gonna keep doing it. I'm a rebel, you know? :very_drunk:

Zelja

Reaction score
Clove oil in sufficient concentration is mildly hallucinogenic and in low concentrations is a known euphoriant.
Ask me how I know:
15f9469fcd4e4e2a728119f3501d606d.jpg

Not a regular smoker but I kinda like the kretek ciggies every now & again. Hard to come by here now though.

Clove oil is also a bit of a natural anesthetic. I know back in the old homeland when they made a cooked wine concoction they added cloves. I dig the smell.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
vinegar & some bicarbonate of soda

Isn't that an instant foam monster ? Sort of what they put in the demonstration volcanos.

As someone said, a base and and acid can neutralize each other, if the proportions are correct.

Vinegar is acetic acid (C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]4[/SUB]O[SUB]2[/SUB]) and water. Acetic acid is made of 2 carbon atoms, 4 hydrogen atoms, and 2 oxygen atoms. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO[SUB]3[/SUB]). Sodium bicarbonate is made of 1 sodium ion, 1 hydrogen atom, 1 carbon atom, and 3 oxygen atoms.

You end up with CO2 and H2O and a salt. CO2 + H2O + (CH[SUB]3[/SUB]COONa) " sodium acetate ".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not a regular smoker but I kinda like the kretek ciggies every now & again. Hard to come by here now though.

Clove oil is also a bit of a natural anesthetic. I know back in the old homeland when they made a cooked wine concoction they added cloves. I dig the smell.

Yes you just reminded me it was used as a dental anaesthetic before they discovered cocaine.
In fact you can still find it bottled for that purpose in some places, and it's an ingredient in over-the-counter toothache remedies.
Never knew about the anti-fungal properties.
The thing with mold is the spores, what are their "seeds".
They're incredibly tough and hard to eradicate, that's the reason it tends to keep coming back.
Anything strong enough to really destroy 'em is also gonna be fairly hazardous to people or things, but I don't know how effective the Concrobium that Jane mentioned is.
Might finally be just the thing we need.
That's pretty new stuff as far as I know.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Isn't that an instant foam monster ? Sort of what they put in the demonstration volcanos.

As someone said, a base and and acid can neutralize each other, if the proportions are correct.

You end up with CO2 and H2O and a salt. CO2 + H2O + (CH[SUB]3[/SUB]COONa) " sodium acetate ".

Yeah the CO2 gas being formed and expanding in the water/sodium acetate matrix is what makes it "foam".

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Concrobium has been in use for more than 10 years.

Per their website:

"Concrobium Mold Solutions are manufactured by Siamons International. Siamons International was founded in 2003 to develop and commercialize an exciting new cleaning technology called “Concrobium”. The unique solution, which eliminates and prevents harmful mold, was put through its paces for two years, as we sought and secured EPA registration."

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Concrobium has been in use for more than 10 years.

Per their website:

"Concrobium Mold Solutions are manufactured by Siamons International. Siamons International was founded in 2003 to develop and commercialize an exciting new cleaning technology called “Concrobium”. The unique solution, which eliminates and prevents harmful mold, was put through its paces for two years, as we sought and secured EPA registration."

Ten years is new for me! :biggrin-new:
But I definitely approve of the EPA registration.
I can't remember if that's the stuff I recommended to KDavid recently for his mold problem, but it was definitely an environmentally friendly product for the specific application (mold abatement).
Found it after doing a google search for something that wouldn't be as hazardous as bleach.