1996 Westerly made A-50 Concert Flat Top

atmarama

Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of these. Looks in excellent overall condition. Comes with what is apparently the original elecronics, Fishman preamp and undersaddle pup and (unfortunately) volume and tone knobs coming through the side.

I need to put in an offer - what would be the estimated value of this instrument? Thanks!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
$800? I see one that ended on Reverb that was listed at $875 for a '96, so maybe offer $700 to start?

atmarama

Reaction score
Thanks WW.. $700 sounds like a bargain, I don't think the seller will accept that. He was asking $1200 and has dropped to $1000, doesn't seem keen to go much lower than that.

I would also like to hear general opinions on this model if possible as I will have to buy without playing it first..

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks WW.. $700 sounds like a bargain, I don't think the seller will accept that. He was asking $1200 and has dropped to $1000, doesn't seem keen to go much lower than that.

I would also like to hear general opinions on this model if possible as I will have to buy without playing it first..

well, that model does look awesome, and if you feel it worth it as they are real rare, 1k might be totally fine. I might be off too, maybe 800-1k is more like it.

If I really like a guitar, I would never mind spending an extra 200 bucks to get it :).

Does it look like this? http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/a50.html

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

HI Atma:
Be aware it has a 1-3/4" nut with a 25-5/8" scale, very unusual for Guild at that time.
With a 15" lower bout it seemed to be filling the vacant F30 slot for a while, F30"R" in the case of the A50. It's a spruce top/ rosewood flatback.
Can't remember exactly what the word they used was, but when I first joined I recall a couple of comments from old Westerly hands that it wasn't up to their expectations soundwise, like it was literally a mistake.
I do recall one member in England who loves the sound of his, though.
At the asking price it should definitely have its original case, but I think $1000 is "ambitious" even for a very very very good condition instrument.
Sounds like street price when new, maybe?
I just don't think they're desirable enough to justify that, no matter how unusual.
I'd see a Vintage Guitar Bluebook too.
If seller's amenable to a return policy it might be worth checking out at the $800, but if you're like me and don't have the time or money to futz around, I wouldn't feel like I missed out on one of those "once in a lifetime deals" at any price.
Unless the 1-3/4 nut is a big attraction, if it's the size and the rosewood that you're looking for I'd probably keep looking for an F30R.
They got a whole lot more recognition in the market and would be easier to resell if nothing else.
Plus they didn't make fun of those at Westerly, as far as I know.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

atmarama

Reaction score
HI Atma:
Be aware it has a 1-3/4" nut with a 25-5/8" scale, very unusual for Guild at that time.
With a 15" lower bout it seemed to be filling the vacant F30 slot for a while, F30"R" in the case of the A50. It's a spruce top/ rosewood flatback.
Can't remember exactly what the word they used was, but when I first joined I recall a couple of comments from old Westerly hands that it wasn't up to their expectations soundwise, like it was literally a mistake.
I do recall one member in England who loves the sound of his, though.
At the asking price it should definitely have its original case, but I think $1000 is "ambitious" even for a very very very good condition instrument.
Sounds like street price when new, maybe?
I just don't think they're desirable enough to justify that, no matter how unusual.
I'd see a Vintage Guitar Bluebook too.
If seller's amenable to a return policy it might be worth checking out at the $800, but if you're like me and don't have the time or money to futz around, I wouldn't feel like I missed out on one of those "once in a lifetime deals" at any price.
Unless the 1-3/4 nut is a big attraction, if it's the size and the rosewood that you're looking for I'd probably keep looking for an F30R.
They got a whole lot more recognition in the market and would be easier to resell if nothing else.
Plus they didn't make fun of those at Westerly, as far as I know.
:biggrin-new:

Mmmm... That is interesting. And your reservations have been noted. I had almost convinced myself this was the way to go.. The 1-3/4 nut is an attraction, as well as the size.. But yes, the asking price may be too high to futz around I guess then judging from the comments.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Mmmm... That is interesting. And your reservations have been noted. I had almost convinced myself this was the way to go.. The 1-3/4 nut is an attraction, as well as the size.. But yes, the asking price may be too high to futz around I guess then judging from the comments.

Of course I now have to flip-flop and point out that I'd hate to have prevented a guy from meeting an axe he may love, himself.
Especially with that unusual nut.
I'd politely let the seller know that you've got feedback from this place that it's rare but not particularly desirable and that if he's still got it in say, a couple of weeks, you might still be interested.
I kinda suspect it'll still be there.

atmarama

Reaction score
Of course I now have to flip-flop and point out that I'd hate to have prevented a guy from meeting an axe he may love, himself.
Especially with that unusual nut.
I'd politely let the seller know that you've got feedback from this place that it's rare but not particularly desirable and that if he's still got it in say, a couple of weeks, you might still be interested.
I kinda suspect it'll still be there.

Ha! Well ok, there goes my GAS relief for now... I guess I will wait to see how things pan out then... Thanks for the input.

I would still love to hear from folks who own or have owned this particular model!

atmarama

Reaction score
HI Atma:

The nut size is all good with me, but the scale length - is that an even longer scale than a Martin dread?

Neal

Reaction score
If you are patient, you could probably find a New Hartford-era F-30R Standard for sale around $1000. They would have been made between 2010 and 2013.

IMO, a way better value.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ive heard people are waaay underwhelmed by those, just buy an F-20 or F-30! theres a nice long scale F-20 on Ebay right now, if its still there. ill probably be selling mine on the east coast as well (not really looking to ship)

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...$700 sounds like a bargain, I don't think the seller will accept that. He was asking $1200 and has dropped to $1000, doesn't seem keen to go much lower than that....

Hard to say. That's a pretty good initial price drop, which is a good sign for you. I put in an offer on my F50R after the seller had dropped the price twice. My offer was quite a bit lower, and I didn't expect it to be accepted, but - WOW - it was! so you never know.