Kids today...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have two teenage daughters. One of them has two of her friends with her in the family room.

Now, our family room was designed by me and contains a 7.1 THX certified surround-sound system with a high-end Yamaha receiver that is capable of playing music so loudly at unity gain that you'd probably call the cops from your house if they used it. But it would sound GOOD!

So, what are they doing? They're clustered together on the couch listening to snippets of music (they never seem to listen to more than 20 seconds of any single song) via Spotify (compressed) using the second smallest (Mac laptop) speakers in the house. At least they're not listening on their phones. This time. Hell, she has a bluetooth speaker that sounds WAY better than the laptop but that's upstairs.

These kids *love* music, but they could not care less about the quality of the sound. One of them is an accomplished violinist, so I don't mean "love music" like a typical teen. These kids love music. Why don't they love sound quality? I don't get it.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Update: I showed them how to get their favorite music streaming on the receiver and now they're singing at the top of their lungs while the walls shake.

I feel better.

Music should be felt, not just listened to.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good job!

Thanks!

When I was a teen, my mother always let us have practice at our house and I never forgot how appreciative all my friends were about that. Two of them are musicians (both can play guitar and bass) and I keep trying to get them to start a band because they would rock.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
See? Like THAT!!! I was always looking for volume and quality and a place to enjoy it!! AWAY from my parents!! So this is not the saddest story I've heard, but baffling, nonetheless..... :beaten:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I tell you what (I miss Texas),

They were all huddled around the laptop when that was the source. When I got them to move to the big speakers it became an hour-long dance party and they had real fun jumping and dancing and screaming, eating junk food and letting loose.

They're a trip, too. They went from My Chemical Romance, to Taylor Swift, to One Direction, then right back to My Chemical Romance, probably because they were in a house where the crazy guitarist dad encouraged them to turn it up and scream.

CA-35

Reaction score
They're a trip, too. They went from My Chemical Romance, to Taylor Swift, to One Direction, then right back to My Chemical Romance

Great story GAD. Now all you have to do is introduce them to some real "musical artists" and you're job is done.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kids have become accustomed to 99% of their content coming from their phones. It's with them ALL the time. Using something big, complex, and NOT portable to do something as common as play music, just doesn't come into their minds. Only what they call "DJs" do that !

JimmyD

Reaction score
Most of what is loud nowadays, is related to environmental noise pollution. You have opened the doors to the beauty of complex sound. Good work.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Be happy it wasn't death metal! :devilish:
walrus

Wouldn't bother me a bit. I have very eclectic tastes in music and they seem to as well.

Great story GAD. Now all you have to do is introduce them to some real "musical artists" and you're job is done.

My daughter has Beetles Vinyls and plays Beethoven on the piano. We're good. :peaceful:

Kids have become accustomed to 99% of their content coming from their phones. It's with them ALL the time. Using something big, complex, and NOT portable to do something as common as play music, just doesn't come into their minds. Only what they call "DJs" do that !

The lower expectations of sound quality is something I've railed against for years. It took a couple of years, but now my daughter will complain about the sound quality of crappy headphones.

Thinking back, I used to listen to music all the time on one of these so it's not like I was a teenage audiophile. It still had better speakers than a Macbook, though.

panasonic_rq-2734_portable_cassette_recorder.jpg

Most of what is loud nowadays, is related to environmental noise pollution. You have opened the doors to the beauty of complex sound. Good work.

Thanks!

matsickma

Reaction score
Being in bands from around 7th grade always drove me and my friends to strive for sound quality. The night before a Saturday night dance gig my Guild T1 RTV stopped working. In a mad dash the next morning I went with my mom to the closest big music store about 20 miles from home and picked out a Kustom "100" 2-12 guitar amp. It seemed so cool and had incredible reverb. Financed The balance of $435 back in '68 so it wasn't cheap. Gigs and mike delivery paid it off.
The gig went fine...

My point is my buddy and I had the amp up in my bed room. I soldered a cable with phono plug to the old "record player" and plugged it into the Kustom amp. Those Kustom speaker cabinet sounded great. We cranked it up and rattled the doors to Johnny Rivers cover of "Mabelle". My aunt lived next door and had a $hit fit banging on my licked bedroom door. We ignored her and turned it up more.

That began the quest for sound. Once out of high school and working I picked up a Bandmaster cabinet with a pair if D130 15 inch speakers. Made a custom cabinet to fit in my IH Scout II "SUV" and connected it to a 20W 8-track tape player. Heaven! The JBL"s were incredibly efficient and blasted that 20W 8-track. Hendrix, Mountain, etc., blasted away. I had a hour drive to work on 2nd shift and it was heaven!

The craze continued for years. Heck I still have about a dozen Crown amps and other gear (i.e., DC 300A's, D150, D75's , VFX-2A's, etc) in the basement. Still have the old Pioneer 1050 RR with half track heads! (Maybe i'm a horder!😲)

I still find the car the most enjoyable place to listen to music. Time to build a new box to fit in the TT!

matsickma

Reaction score
"Mike delivery" should have read "milk delivery". My morning job before school I delivered milk fir $10 a week. Our band actually got paid $10 per person per gig so it was a much better"job"!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had an old stereo tube console as a kid, don't remember much about except it rocked.