Those that replaced original tuning machines on a DeArmond Starfire Custom

markb

Reaction score
Which brand did you use? I have a '98 that I really enjoy..except for the tuners. I've replaced the original nut with a nice bone and the bridge seems solid enough. Currently removing the machines to measure dimensions. Looking at Schaller Locking 3+3 and Grover Roto-Grip Locking Roto Grip Rotomatic 502 series. Or course I'd prefer a painless slip in replacement with minimal drilling. Ill figure it out just curious what others have used. I'd prefer lockers. Thanks folks.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do they look like these?

0589714_0.jpeg

I'd bet they're Grover copies. Here's the originals in Nickel. You can get chrome, too: https://www.allparts.com/TK-7900-001-Grover-3x3-Nickel-Rotomatics-Nickel_p_4006.html

Complete measurements on that page to help see if they'll fit. I can't speak for the bushings, but any bushing work would be hidden if not reversible.

markb

Reaction score
Yep those are them. Thanks for the link GAD! Most of the "close" replacements I've seen have a single screw support unlike the dearmond knockoffs. Like to use thumb wheel style lockers if I can.

matsickma

Reaction score
I think the DeA tuners have a small stud or pin cast into the back that functions like the screw to prevent the tuner from rotating. There is a hole in the guitar head to accommodate the stud I mentioned.
I took some if these apart many years ago and remembered this feature after you raised the point.
M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
IIRC, mine had two. They were replaced with Planetwaves locking tuners and I had a graphite nut added. Stays in tune pretty well.

markb

Reaction score
I think the DeA tuners have a small stud or pin cast into the back that functions like the screw to prevent the tuner from rotating. There is a hole in the guitar head to accommodate the stud I mentioned.
I took some if these apart many years ago and remembered this feature after you raised the point.
M

I believe correct M. I'm looking at these Schaller's as possible replacement. Notice the pin to keep the gear from rotating. No screw(s)
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...s/Schaller_Locking_3and3_Guitar_Machines.html

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pretty cool - I don't think I've ever encountered tuners without a set screw, or if I did I didn't pay attention (likely).

I love Schaller tuners. Be advised that there's a good chance quality locking tuners will add a bit of mass to the guitar which may alter the feel and/or balance a bit. They may also add sustain. They may not. Guitars are funny that way. :livid:

markb

Reaction score
Pretty cool - I don't think I've ever encountered tuners without a set screw, or if I did I didn't pay attention (likely).

I love Schaller tuners. Be advised that there's a good chance quality locking tuners will add a bit of mass to the guitar which may alter the feel and/or balance a bit. They may also add sustain. They may not. Guitars are funny that way. :livid:
That they are GAD. Good points. She's a bit plump to begin with but very well balanced. Better so than some of my "higher end" guitars. Thanks for your input. I'll keep us posted on the adventure.

kakerlak

Reaction score
My favorite locking tuners are the original PRS ones with the little winged collars. Much easier on the fingers than the screw-down style like Sperzels, Grovers, etc. Quicker, too! I have no idea why PRS scrapped the design.

markb

Reaction score
IIRC, mine had two. They were replaced with Planetwaves locking tuners and I had a graphite nut added. Stays in tune pretty well.
You did remember correctly. Two pins parallel. Since I will have to drill a pilot hole(s) regardless for either a pin or screw I have options. Pretty sure I'll go with the Grover 502's w/ the thumb wheel lock. The dimensions match up perfectly.