So many knobs!

gilded

Reaction score
GAD said, "I took the entire thing apart, feet, handle and all, sanded the enclosure with up to 600-grit sandpaper, then rubbed the entire thing down with lemon oil and furniture polish. I also pulled the amp, blew it out, cleaned it up, and fixed the bad ground that I found. I cleaned the grill, cleaned the face plate, cleaned the knobs, put it all back together and it still sounds the same. Well, the annoying crackle from the intermittent ground is gone."

When you say, 'it still sounds the same', is there something you don't like about the amp? Can you elaborate?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD said, "I took the entire thing apart, feet, handle and all, sanded the enclosure with up to 600-grit sandpaper, then rubbed the entire thing down with lemon oil and furniture polish. I also pulled the amp, blew it out, cleaned it up, and fixed the bad ground that I found. I cleaned the grill, cleaned the face plate, cleaned the knobs, put it all back together and it still sounds the same. Well, the annoying crackle from the intermittent ground is gone."

When you say, 'it still sounds the same', is there something you don't like about the amp? Can you elaborate?

No - it was just a joke that I did all that work arguably for nothing since it still sounds the same. I haven't yet had a chance to really test it out because the battery is dead in my Taylor and I have to change the strings to get to it (LR Baggs pickup). My initial tests were just for pure amp functionality, not for sound quality or musicality.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No - it was just a joke that I did all that work arguably for nothing since it still sounds the same.

So now I think y'oughta go out and get a cabinet fabricated of real tamarack, for comparison.
Sounds like Rampside could help source the wood.
C'mon, we know ya wanna do it.
Keep us posted.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
So now I think y'oughta go out and get a cabinet fabricated of real tamarack, for comparison.
Keep us posted.

Now that would be an interesting project.

A Tamarack made of Tamarack.
An Aspen made of Aspen.
A Sequoia made of Sequoia.
A G1000 made from real footstool.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Keep us posted.

Yep, I've got a source right down the street, dried, planed and ready to go. Great looking wood too!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Now that would be an interesting project.

A Tamarack made of Tamarack.
An Aspen made of Aspen.
A Sequoia made of Sequoia.
A G1000 made from real footstool.

And probably easier than building a robot to count bobbin winds on orphaned humbuckers.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I do love a good robot project...

Just be careful what you wish for:

naughty-robot.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like that. That's likely what would happen in this house.

If you like robots, especially hysterically terrible ones, do yourself a favor and check out Simone Giertz. This is one of my favorites:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But besides being knob heaven, what does it SOUND like ? Did I miss that part of the post ?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total