Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
5D3_1003_1600.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
With regard to the M85 TRC discussed elsewhere, any comments? This is clearly cut to mimic the headstock and oriented properly but it sort of looks like the end by the nut mirrors the traditional headstock.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
With regard to the M85 TRC discussed elsewhere, any comments? This is clearly cut to mimic the headstock and oriented properly but it sort of looks like the end by the nut mirrors the traditional headstock.

Better pic of the headstock where you can get a better look at the broken bits along with the trussrod cover.

Guild-1982-X79-3-Headstock.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
That is model I would buy. I'm still pissed I didn't win a auction on eBay a few years back for a sunburst X79-3 with a Kahler!

Never seen another sunburst X79!

M

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey GAD...just want to say EXCELLENT JOB! Your latest investigations and guitar reviews have really raised the bar and injected new life into the HARDWARE side of LTG which is my favorite area of interest!

ATTA BOY's to the 10th power!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey GAD...just want to say EXCELLENT JOB! Your latest investigations and guitar reviews have really raised the bar and injected new life into the HARDWARE side of LTG which is my favorite area of interest!

ATTA BOY's to the 10th power!

Thanks for that!

I like to think that I'm offering up something new and different because I don't think a lot of people tear them apart and reverse engineer them like I do. The lack of schematics and/or wiring diagrams for things has driven me nuts in the past and my hope that one of them will pay off for someone somewhere.

I am also quite obviously standing on the shoulders of giants. If not for Hans' help I wouldn't know half the stuff I do, and with help from people like Grot I can get access to documents that are often otherwise impossible to score. Lastly the LTG forum at large is a huge help because almost all of my research online leads to old threads right here on LTG and often to the Fender forum from before the days of LTG.

It's probably not the smartest thing for me to be working on because I make no money doing them (and often lose lots when I sell), but I love these old guitars and it's fun reverse engineering them and trying to learn about them. It also allows me to combine multiple hobbies like guitar, electronics, photography, writing, and spending money. :livid:

My home office is starting to look like Grot's bunker, though. It's time for a purge.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
First one I saw was blue sparkle in Sam Goodies.

My Baptist preacher father would have never let that evil thing into the house...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
First one I saw was blue sparkle in Sam Goodies.

My Baptist preacher father would have never let that evil thing into the house...

LOL. But what's the harm? It's not like the people that played them were weird.

FRENCH_OJEDA_poster.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Two upper bout strap pins? And is the bridge pup higher than the rest?

(And, you'll poke yer eye out, kid!)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Two upper bout strap pins? And is the bridge pup higher than the rest?

(And, you'll poke yer eye out, kid!)

Good eye. Yup - some previous owner apparently decided that they didn't like where the strap peg was so they whipped out the drill and added another.

The bridge pickup is indeed higher than the rest and seems to balance pretty well that way so far, though I haven't really analyzed it to that extent yet.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Buzzy Levine at Lark Street Music has a white X-79-3 that has been hanging there for months. He'd probably accept a best offer at this point.

Last edited: