Tom Petty´s Guild, Color? Cherry? Mahogany brown? Help!

Reaction score
Tom Petty´s Guild, Color? Cherry? Mahogany brown? Help!

Hi all!This is my first post, I am new to the forum. I am a big Tom Petty fan, I would like to know what color is his 12 string Guild. I know it´s a D212 but I can´t make out the top color, sometimes it looks cherry and sometimes brownish. Perhaps he has more than one. Stage lights can be very confusing. Let me tell you that I own a D 25 12 string mahogany tinted! I hope Tom does too!!! Thanks a lot !!!

Neal

Reaction score
Welcome, Petty!

His looks to be a dark cherry-stained spruce top D-212.

I own an '81 in a tobacco sunburst. It has gone head to head with an F-412 and an F-212XL, and survived both challengers.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
those are 2 different guitars and there is also a third one (sunburst), autographed by Petty and on display at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Reaction score
I0000JzC39iXcSNo

Check this one, here the top seems brownish and it has two white lines around the soundhole. I think he has more than one!!

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi all!This is my first post, I am new to the forum. I am a big Tom Petty fan, I would like to know what color is his 12 string Guild. I know it´s a D212 but I can´t make out the top color, sometimes it looks cherry and sometimes brownish. Perhaps he has more than one. Stage lights can be very confusing.

I've seen at least one of his Guild 12s up close and as far as I remember it was a darkish brown D25-12. The lights on stage can sometimes make guitars look different, but I was doing some work with TP's guitar tech Alan Rogan at the time and the axes were in a guitar boat side-stage under work lights.

Let me tell you that I own a D 25 12 string mahogany tinted! I hope Tom does too!!! Thanks a lot !!!

I used to have a cherry finished D25-12 too and vaguely remember thinking that his was a different colour, but that was around 10 years ago and I could be wrong.

Reaction score
I've seen at least one of his Guild 12s up close and as far as I remember it was a darkish brown D25-12. The lights on stage can sometimes make guitars look different, but I was doing some work with TP's guitar tech Alan Rogan at the time and the axes were in a guitar boat side-stage under work lights.

I used to have a cherry finished D25-12 too and vaguely remember thinking that his was a different colour, but that was around 10 years ago and I could be wrong.

thanks for your input, I think he uses 2 Guilds, one has a white (rosette).

Bmack59F30

Reaction score
Welcome, Petty!

His looks to be a dark cherry-stained spruce top D-212.

I own an '81 in a tobacco sunburst. It has gone head to head with an F-412 and an F-212XL, and survived both challengers.

I have an '81 D212 tobacco sunburst also and it really can hang with the best of them. I actually play leads on it because it cuts so well. It is a serious Cannon. The culmination of so many nice design features. Sturdy as heck, but not over built in my opinion. It was on craigslist for 200 bucks two years ago, but it was a really bad picture, and the dude called it an O212. And, in all fairness, the hand written D is very "O" like. I met him at the train station and he wouldn't give me the case unless I gave him 20 more bucks. lol. So, I didn't feel too bad for him after all.

barry

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I met him at the train station and he wouldn't give me the case unless I gave him 20 more bucks. lol. So, I didn't feel too bad for him after all.
barry

Should have told him u only had another 15!!

Bmack59F30

Reaction score
Should have told him u only had another 15!!

It was weird moment because the train was just arriving for me to head back to the city. I had like about a second to do the deal. I looked at the neck, and it seemed straight. And then he told me, "not the case."

I had the feeling that he would not take 19. He had figured a way to corner that small train station case market. It made me think that I should sell cases at train stations. He wouldn't have acted so cavalier if there was some heavy case competition where the rails meet the lonely guild buying dude, that's for sure. lol

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It was weird moment because the train was just arriving for me to head back to the city. I had like about a second to do the deal. I looked at the neck, and it seemed straight. And then he told me, "not the case."

I had the feeling that he would not take 19. He had figured a way to corner that small train station case market. It made me think that I should sell cases at train stations. He wouldn't have acted so cavalier if there was some heavy case competition where the rails meet the lonely guild buying dude, that's for sure. lol

Great story!

"Where the rails meet the lonely Guild buying dude" is an excellent song title!

walrus

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Best story about a guitar case I've heard :biggrin-new:
...agreed, might be good material for a song!

I have an '81 D212M with a rich, amber-brown top (no pics yet, it's on the to-do list).
Depending on the lighting, it can appear to be anything from medium mahogany brown to
amber-brown to dark red, or shades in between.
It looks remarkably similar to the 12-string(s) in these photos, the only thing missing is a white rosette,
the sound hole pickup, and Tom Petty.

large_102009-tom_petty_617_409.jpg

tom_petty_fb.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

haa, classic!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Best story about a guitar case I've heard :biggrin-new:
...agreed, might be good material for a song!

I have an '81 D212M with a rich, amber-brown top (no pics yet, it's on the to-do list).
Depending on the lighting, it can appear to be anything from medium mahogany brown to
amber-brown to dark red, or shades in between.
It looks remarkably similar to the 12-string(s) in these photos, the only thing missing is a white rosette,
the sound hole pickup, and Tom Petty.

large_102009-tom_petty_617_409.jpg

tom_petty_fb.jpg

Honestly I think these two pictures are of the same guitar in different lighting. Look at the bridge and the unique grain pattern right down the middle of it at an angle in the first picture where the guitar appears to be cherry colored. Then on the bottom picture which appears to be Brown or Mahogany colored you can see the same grain pattern down the middle of the visible part of the bridge. I would bet money these 2 pictures are of the same D212M in different lighting.

Also recently read an article on Tom Petty's Gear list from 5 or 6 years ago and it only listed one Guild. That Guild was a 70's D212M which would be the brown finish. Regardless the color I know it sounds Awesome. These are very under appreciated 12 strings in my opinion. Great Rich tone to them.

TX

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
TX - after studying these pics magnified, I have to agree!
Remarkable what changes lighting conditions can bring on...

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
There's another distinctive mark on both guitars... a three inch dark line that comes off the center strip of the top, down near the tail block. It angles away from the center strip toward the bass side. It is clearly visible in both photos! It is difficult to realize that Tom Petty has passed away. I saw him once in concert back in 1995 when he was on tour in support of "Wildflowers". Great show! What impressed me the most was how hard he and the band worked for the full ninety minutes. They really PLAYED for the fans!

A slight veer... during the show that I saw on the "Dogs With Wings Tour", Mike Campbell played a vintage Thunderbird/S-200 on a couple of songs. In between songs, he made a point of engaging the built-in kickstand and setting the guitar up onstage, instead of returning it to the multi-guitar rack. I was amazed that no one knocked it over during the set. Pretty cool!

Bill

Last edited:

Bmack59F30

Reaction score
Great story!

"Where the rails meet the lonely Guild buying dude" is an excellent song title!

walrus

Well, this guitar really is a song writing machine. That is what is intoxicatingly interesting to me. The mids are so powerful that the melody lines come with ease. Great guitar in my opinion. What I am trying to say is that, when you play a regular old G chord, or what ever chord, you do a pentatonic run on this thing, and the crowd hears it. It just cuts through. It just has big balls on the front of the note. It really cuts. And really can sustain if you so choose. And, I am no lead player, but with this thing, it is like I am doing chordal leads. Perhaps it is something modal going on, but the notes that are only suggested are really there with this thing.

Bmack59F30

Reaction score
Right!

He sure got over on me, darnit all. By the way, I named this guitar "Thor" simply because I have never met such a beast. It plays well, and really can pound if I like. I mean, all 12's can thump, but I really think these have great articulation, and pump. Damn good tool, especially for writing.

b