D-50ce ?

jim777

Reaction score
So right to the point, this is about as close as I'm going to get to a D-55 with a cutaway, right? :) I missed a nice one a month or so ago because my bike wasn't selling, but I have cash now so want to grab one.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So right to the point, this is about as close as I'm going to get to a D-55 with a cutaway, right? :) I missed a nice one a month or so ago because my bike wasn't selling, but I have cash now so want to grab one.

Yeah, don't think I've ever seen a D55 with cutaway.
Assume you're looking at a New Hartford or is it a Corona?

jim777

Reaction score
It's a Corona (has the fender sticker on the back of the headstock), and near as I can tell from reading here is that it may be 2003/4, because the serial number starts with CVP. I read Hans post that CUP was 2002/3, so just guessing, really. It has the chesterfield headstock inlay, it isn't the rosewood veneer, not sure if that means anything. Sound should be similar I hope, and by that I mean similarly fantastic, and I could use the cutaway.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not typically a fan of cutaway guitars. But, I did just pick up a New Hartford D 40 CE (I know, totally different than a D 50). My only point is if the D 50C is anything like the D 40 CE from a quality and tone standpoint then count me a convert. That D 40C is flat out GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's a Corona (has the fender sticker on the back of the headstock), and near as I can tell from reading here is that it may be 2003/4, because the serial number starts with CVP. I read Hans post that CUP was 2002/3, so just guessing, really.
Actually I think the prefix stayed the same for a given model and the numbers just kept going up.
I think I remember that he was clarifying a poorly written label for somebody once, and corrected the year at the same time.
But for sure he can tell you.

It has the chesterfield headstock inlay, it isn't the rosewood veneer, not sure if that means anything.
Don't remember ever hearing anybody say they could tell a difference, but it looks like it got away?
My sympathies.
Acoustic Coronas are underrated in the market but they seem to be just coming into their own.
Buyers in the last couple of years have expressed a higher level of initial happiness (like 99%) than when I first joined when there were a fair amount of reports (like about 15%) of being "underwhelmed". In fact I was one of 'em.
I distinctly remember somebody, I think it was actually then Fender CEO Larry Thomas in an interview with Vintage Guitar a few years back, saying that he believed well-built guitars didn't really peak until about 10-15 years old and that's exactly where Coronas are at right now.
My D40 certainly bears it out, it really started blossoming about 3 years ago.
But there's also a lot of owners of all eras that believe New Hartford made the best ones of all, and they made D50ce's for a couple of years too.
EDIT (I see Richard just corroborated that and trust me, he's had several from each factory!)
SO hang in there.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Veering right along I did note some intriguing details about that instrument.
It's definitely early production with the sticker on back of headstock.
Hans knows they dropped it between '03 and '04 but wasn't quite sure when, as of a few months ago.
I had one on mine and I kinda wish I'd kept it now, but I was afraid it'd turn into a gummy messy PITA over time.
I note it's got a "narrow" headstock which I think was also very early Corona.
My D40 has a "paddle" and I'd expect later D50's to have that as well.
And finally I don't think that's the original case!
TKL was Guild's OEM for cases and mine has an oval metal Guild badge on the neck by the handles.
And my D40's case is a "deluxe" type with an arched top for extra strength, which I'd expect a D50 to get as well.

Last edited:

jim777

Reaction score
Don't remember ever hearing anybody say they could tell a difference, but it looks like it got away?

Oh, no, I grabbed it :) He ships quickly evidently, and he's only about 100 miles away, so I'll cross my fingers for accidentally spilling beer on it Saturday night! lol

j/k, I never spill my beer :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh, no, I grabbed it :) He ships quickly evidently, and he's only about 100 miles away, so I'll cross my fingers for accidentally spilling beer on it Saturday night! lol

j/k, I never spill my beer :)

Cool, congrats! (about the guitar, not the beer, LOL!)
BTW I can just about guarantee Hans'd like to know the s/n of that instrument.

jim777

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed it, but the case doesn't have the badge my Corona D55 had, but that case had the same arch I think, and the green interior. Would you know if these had a bone saddle? I saw in the other thread you could get one from the new factory for about $16, seems like a no brainer.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed it, but the case doesn't have the badge my Corona D55 had, but that case had the same arch I think, and the green interior. Would you know if these had a bone saddle? I saw in the other thread you could get one from the new factory for about $16, seems like a no brainer.

Bone wasn't standard until Tacoma, but it's been suggested the standard micarta saddle might be better suited for a UST anyway.
It's also unusual to me that guitar's got the "old" Pro-blend pre-amp, I don't think I've ever seen a Corona with that but they were using 'em right up til the close of Westerly, so guessing they were using up old inventory, there. More evidence of a very early build, and number 29's pretty low indeed, in any case.
And ya just might want to get verification on thickness and length of that compensated saddle, not sure if it'll retrofit to a Corona or not.
Been considering it myself for the D25 but I'd get those specs first.

About the s/n Hans prefers to be contacted through his website 'cause his PM box fills up all the time:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
At first I was thinking #29 would have to be an '02, but who knows, maybe they didn't start making 'em until very late December '02 and it might actually be an '03?

Reaction score
Congrats on getting a great guitar. Mine is also a 2003 Corona made D50ce that looks identical to yours. I bought mine from a friend who was the original owner, so I know it is all original. It has the same G&G case that you have, with no Guild badge. It also has the same Pro-Blend pickup, and the same small headstock with the Fender sticker on the back.
I found this forum shortly after I bought mine, and was very disappointed by the attitude of people on here towards the Fender era Guilds. It sounds like you also got a good one, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope. No D55 with a cutaway from a factory that I know of. I love some cutaways. Venetian better than Florentine but what I can't fathom for some reason is a cutaway on a dread!! I just.... I can't. F-shapes lend themselves to cutaways, but dreads..... nope. I'll never have one. (He said, with a straight face...) LOL!!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
After the CVP it's 000029, should I shoot him a private message or something?
He prefers to be contacted through his website because his mailbox here fills up so fast:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
I suspect he'd be interested in those build details, the Pro-Blend and the narrow headstock.
I don't recall seeing 'em before on a Corona D50, at least.
I think that headstock is on an actual Westerly-made neck because of its shape.
On the later "narrow" Corona 'stocks the sides looked more "parallel" to me, but I've only seen 'em in photos.
That one looks like what we call a genuine "snakehead" from its shape, definitely narrower at the top, and definitely originated in Westerly during the Gruhn era.