Value '76 Guild F-412

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nah, it's still time but even though I tend to stay clear of the 'bling', that pimped up look of a F-412 is what I want.
Yep, nobody does it like Guild.
Got it on my F65ce.
(Not mine but same color):
f65ce-1.JPG

f65ce-5.JPG

And my back's lined up a little more horizontally.

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
Holy Batman. Not confirmed, but I think I just landed the deal of the year. F-512..., CUP-serial, 000085..., anyone?

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
So, label says 'Corona'. Just some lousy pics, but they'll do for now. Price is something close too $2000, which is rather good up here in the north. I see that they often go for that kind of money on reverb and eBay, but I would've added shipping and taxes on top of that.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Truck,

I hope things work out for you. Buying a used 12-string often requires patience; the biggest problems tend to be the related to setup. Often, previous owners don't appreciate how important that is.

Anyway, as far as Guilds go... I have a Tacoma-built F-512 in my stable, and it is the benchmark by which all others are measured. I've never played a 12-string guitar that rocks my world like the F-512. I know nothing about Norwegian currency, but I would think that $2000US for an F-512 in Europe is a great deal.

Corona-built instruments tend to be under-valued, and I bet you'll be thrilled with yours!

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
Though the value of norwegian currency is growing slowly compared to USD and EUR, it's still pretty lousy compared to where it was four years ago. US was a relatively cheap country to visit and most of the gear I bought was from the US. Since the shift in norwegian economy about three or four years ago I've bought almost every guitar/FX etc used here in Norway. $2000 might be a little high in the US, but here it's pretty good. He originally wanted like $2300 for it, which would've been an OK price too. $2300 would've been close to what I'd pay if I would've imported one from abroad.

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
Well... Still on a hunt. The Corona F-512 wasn't as expected, so it goes back to the seller tomorrow. Was a nasty scar across the neck, from the headstock and down to 10th fret og something. Could be only a lacquer issue, but I don't take the chance on keeping it.

There's afour year old 'New Hartford' Guild F-412 that's for sale for a little more than $100 more a couple of miles from me. Might go for that one (I've bought three guitars from the guy before - a '61 SG Reissue, a RS Guitarworks Blackguard and a The Loar mandolin, and they've all been in terrific shape).

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well... Still on a hunt. The Corona F-512 wasn't as expected, so it goes back to the seller tomorrow. Was a nasty scar across the neck, from the headstock and down to 10th fret og something. Could be only a lacquer issue, but I don't take the chance on keeping ut.

There's four year old 'New Hartford' Guild F-412 that's for sale for a little more than $100 more a couple of miles from me. Might go for that one (I've bought three guitars from the guy before - a '61 SG Reissue, a RS Guitarworks Blackguard and a The Loar mandolin, and they've all been in terrific shape).
Sorry to hear about the '512, but it's funny how often these scenarios result in members finding something better.
Now you're back to your original maple-bodied target. Hopefully it's what you really wanted in the first place.
Lotta folks here with more experience than myself believe New Hartfords were the best Guilds of all.
Keep us posted!

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
This is the laquer issue I was talking about. Might not be anything, but nothing I want my guitar to have. Guitar not accepted.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, truck... Snag a NH F-412 for sure! I don't recall if I ever played the F-412, but the F-50 6-string brother to the F-412 that came from NH was best-in-class. Seriously.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This is the laquer issue I was talking about. Might not be anything, but nothing I want my guitar to have. Guitar not accepted.

I can't really tell from those pics but one of the legitimate problems early on at Corona was with finishes.
But I'm like you, in fact it's why I prefer to buy new.
***I just realized, that looks like it might be the center-strip of a 3-pc neck?
That was standard on highest-end Guilds at Westerly, but not sure if it was contiinued at Corona.
That centerstrip adds torsional stiffness.
Neck of a Westerly JF65-12 (Late westerly name for an F412):
jf65-12-3.jpg

I KNOW they did that in New Hartford as well.

Last edited:

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
Pretty sure it a finish crack, and yes, also pretty sure it's a three piece neck we're looking at.
I've talked to my friend (well, not close friend, but a guy that I have trust in when it comes to guitars, having been at his house and tried numerous of great Collings', Gibson's and Martin's, and a couple of really hi-end square neck dobro's) that has the NH F-412 and sort of made a deal with him. ASAIK it still has the plastic layer on the pick guard, it's that mint. No pickup though, but easy peasy to drop in.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The NH 3-pc neck will be mahogany with a walnut middle. It will be a single truss-rod (dual-action) flanked with two, fixed carbon rods. These are fantastic necks.

Unfortunately, you won't get tiger stripe maple on a NH F-412 neck (see Al's picture, above), but the guitars are lighter than their predecessors, and that is a welcome change.

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
So, time flies by. Summer's moved on. Weather is getting (a little bit) colder and I'm finally getting a F-412, but not until tomorrow. Which will be a long day.

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
The mighty F-412 is in dah house! Proud member of the F-412 clan.

Now I need a better capo. My trusty old Shubb hasn't the right radius (too flat).

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Beautiful TruckstopChuckie! It is really hard to try and top the New Hartford built F412s and F512s. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

TX

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoooie! That's what we're talkin' about! Major congrats!