Value '76 Guild F-412

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
I sort of have my hands on a well held '76 Guild F-412 (Westerly). What would be a fair price? (I don't trust using eBay and Reverb as I suspect a lot of the guitars might be pretty over-priced).

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
LOTS of different factors determine the value, but I would think for one in excellent condition (not mint) with hsc, $1,500 wouldn't be out of order. Do you have any photos?

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
Will post pictures soon (at the beach right know). It looks pretty mint as far as I can see. Going to ask for more close-ups, though.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI Chuckie, looks like your posts were delayed while being vetted by moderators screening for spambots, suspect that's why you posted twice and now both are showing up.
You might be on real-time by now.
To get a better idea of condition we need to see things like the string height at the 12th fret, and saddle height, and back of bridge.
Ideally lots of shots of body to demonstrate there aren't issues such as cracks or bridge lift or binding separation.
Understand some folks may not have anticipated the need for that, otherwise any price advice can only be subject to generalities related to condition.
Are you considering purchasing it for yourself?
Since we don't know how familiar you are with guitars:
Do you know how to check the neck alignment to get some assurance it doesn't already need a neck reset?
(It's actually very simple)
F-412's in general are highly desirable being the arched maple-backed top-of-the-line 12-string.
Its rosewood flatback counterpart would have been the F512 in case that's good to know.
As for eBay/Reverb prices, sure we kind of assume those listing prices start high but there's usually make offer options and quite a few guys here can advise on how to navigate those waters safely.

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
Yes, sorry about the double/triple posting. There was apparently a major delay, so much that I assumed that there was something wrong somewhere. Anyway...

Yes, the guitar's suppose to be for my own amusement. :) I've played for most of my life, at first classical and then electric. My acoustics right now is a Martin D-18GE and a Stonebridge/Furch 00m32sm and I'm thinking a big and bold Guild 12-string would be a rather nice addition.
Of course, the first thing would be checking if it needs a neck reset. The guitar is in Norway, and I'm in the US (DC), so I can't check it out for myself right now.

I'll ask for better pictures.

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
There actually was a Tacoma made 412 that sold for $1200 last week. I was close to hit BIN, but it was too far away for me to check it out in person. And, I'm heading back to Norway next month, so buying one there is a lot less hassle than getting one here (regarding taxes and shipping).

As long as it has neck binding and blocks I can live without the abalone rosette. :smile-new:

I've asked for close-ups now and asked wether it needs a neck reset or not (or if it already have had one).

Edit! Aaaand theeere, my posts don't need clarifications from the mods. Goodie!

BTW, any thoughts on this one... Guild JF-65-12 I assume that the seller might agree on lowering the price a little due to the crack in the bridge. I've asked if it is stable, but haven't gotten any answer yet.

Last edited:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The F-412 is very pretty, and it looks (from the photo) to be in good condition without splits, cracks, or neck block shift. That sliver of a saddle indicates the sound potential of the guitar may be compromised, and the string action may not be able to be set any lower. If you can get any wiggle room in the price for a future neck reset, it may be the guitar for you.

Regarding the JF65-12, the bridge can be readily replaced, though that crack in the headstock could be a bit more worrisome. By definition, any guitar is repairable. Is it acceptable the way it is or will it be worth (it to you) investing in to make it so?

If you really, really want a particular guitar, we are always here to encourage you to pursue it. :biggrin-new:

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
The F-412 is very pretty, and it looks (from the photo) to be in good condition without splits, cracks, or neck block shift. That sliver of a saddle indicates the sound potential of the guitar may be compromised, and the string action may not be able to be set any lower. If you can get any wiggle room in the price for a future neck reset, it may be the guitar for you.

That was what I was thinking to. It's difficult to say based on the pictures I've received if there's anything to go on regarding the bridge saddle.

Regarding the JF65-12, the bridge can be readily replaced, though that crack in the headstock could be a bit more worrisome. By definition, any guitar is repairable. Is it acceptable the way it is or will it be worth (it to you) investing in to make it so?

Everything is relative. If seller accept going a lot lower it might be tempting... I don't have a clue of what such a repair would cost, so the price must clearly reflect the repair cost. Price gotta be sort of bargain'ish....

If you really, really want a particular guitar, we are always here to encourage you to pursue it. :biggrin-new:

Oh, please!!!:love-struck:

Neal

Reaction score
What is up with the two dots on either side of the saddle. I doubt it left Westerly with those.

Could it be that they hide screws holding the bridge on?

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
What is up with the two dots on either side of the saddle. I doubt it left Westerly with those.

Could it be that they hide screws holding the bridge on?

Well spotted, and that's where Guild experts like you come in hand.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And, I'm heading back to Norway next month, so buying one there is a lot less hassle than getting one here (regarding taxes and shipping).

I'd investigate getting a "personal instrument" cert from US Dept of Fish and Wildlife, see this thread:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-Regs-for-US-citizens-Official-FWS-newsletter

As a '74 there's a possibility the bridge on that could be Brazilian and the way I understand it, that's the only cert that will allow transport of Brazilian into the US.
You have to own it and not be intending to sell it here.
Even if not Brazilian, it's a pretty good way to guarantee Customs'll wave you on through, but you are allowed more than the weight of the guitar for EIR as personal property.
The issue might be proving its EIR and not Braz.
The new rosewood/ebony restrictions are catching a lot of folks by surprise.

Last edited:

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
The '76 I'm talking about is in Norway, where I live and where I'm going back to in June, so import/export is not a subject here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The '76 I'm talking about is in Norway, where I live and where I'm going back to in June, so import/export is not a subject here.

Ahhh, I misinterpreted and thought you lived here and were going there to visit.
Should have known better since vintage Guilds typically cost more over there, but like you said you don't have to worry about "taxes and shipping".
Good luck!

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
Correct!
Well, the norwegian currency is pretty weak now compared to especially US dollars and euros, so a lot of instruments are much more expensive here in the US than in Norway, especially custom shop Gibsons and Fenders. For a couple of years one could save a lot on importing instruments from especially USA and Japan, but now we're actually paying more when importing compared to buying locally. It's really buyers marked in Norway when it comes to used instruments, though it depends on what you're looking for. Don't know the marked for Guilds, though....

Some more pics, it these shows anything.