Bonnie Raitt Playing a JF-100

idealassets

Reaction score
You can certainly hear that guitar in the recording. It also looks as though they are using an open tuning. I would like to own a JF-100, but I'm wondering if they were all carved, would prefer not carved if I could get one.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
You can certainly hear that guitar in the recording. It also looks as though they are using an open tuning. I would like to own a JF-100, but I'm wondering if they were all carved, would prefer not carved if I could get one.

Hans Moust would probably know the answer to your question.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would like to own a JF-100, but I'm wondering if they were all carved, would prefer not carved if I could get one.
I thought it was optional but the catalog wording for those and the D100 imply it was standard:
From here: http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/jf100.html
"The maple and abalone bound rosewood bodies are combined with a natural finished, hand-carved mahogany neck."

tommym

Reaction score
I recall there being a JF-100 and a JF-100C.

It's been so long that I'm not 100% sure about that. But I'm 100% sure that I never did like the carved heel.

Tommy

Neal

Reaction score
I dunno...I certainly do like the carved neck on Rich's JF-100, which he is actually bold enough to take to an open mic!

I was nervous the whole time he had it out of the case.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I recall there being a JF-100 and a JF-100C.
I thought that too, but now I'm thinking it might simply be differences in how they were "referenced" in various places.
The '96 price catalog specifically mentions "the hand-carved heel one the JF100Ctm" and yet the spec sheet for body woods, etc, only shows it as "JF100", so.......?????
I also know the "C" has been questioned a couple of times on these models because usually it means "cutaway" but on the 100 series only, it means "carved".
Since Westerlyguildguitars has 'em as Limited Editions and the spec page is shows the model name as "JF100C" (and D100C) I now think that it was unlikely they changed the spec as they did so often on regular production pieces, but still......????
Has anybody ever seen one without a carved heel?
A brief Google image search only shows carved heels where they're visible.
I was never all that attracted to the carving myself, but now I see it as a kind of "How do we top the G-shield headstock and inlays" detail.

bdeclee

Reaction score
awagner has both a carved and uncarved JF100. He refers to the former in his signature line as "CRV."
Barbara