My favorite cheap guitar

deebeewhy

Reaction score
Now that the thread is back, I should note my Epi Dove can now longer be quite called "cheap," now that it is sporting bone nut, saddle, and pins. Needed some saddle shaved to now at the 6- year point too. In addition, I have made the unorthodox move of putting Daddario silk/steels on it; weird, I know, for a dread. A bit quiet, but beautifully balanced. Couldn't be happier.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Found an extremely clean 2012 Epiphone EJ-200 a couple of months ago down in Hobart Tasmania.
Last year of the full-body straight acoustic model.
Fantastic condition.
US$300 with hard case.

Vr5eJeOl.jpg

ezstrummer

Reaction score
When you say cheap guitar are asking for "CHEAP" or inexpensive?? My 79Guild G37 is absolutely my favorite inexpensive guitar at 400.00. But in no way is it "CHEAP.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I traded a Washburn D-25 for this Takamine acoustic Flying A:

m6Typ10.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
during the past year i stumbled upon a 1979 Ovation Legend and a 1978 Ovation Baladeer, both non-electric acoustics. both made in USA/Connecticut, and both with original hard Ovation cases. it is amazing how undervalued these guiatars are. call it $300 or so depending on condition, and other factors...the tone is easy $1000. id say for the money so far those are my favorite cheap guitars.

Sal

Reaction score
The second is what I spend most of my time at home playing. It's a Simon and Patrick folk guitar. I picked it up for like $350 on a pretty good deal at my local shop. It's not a really amazing sounding guitar by any means, but there's something very pleasant about its tone and it is short scale and plays like a dream. I do most of my songwriting on it.

And made in Canadia!

My favorite cheap guitar was an Art & Lutherie Ami parlor guitar. Very nice sound, fun to play, with a hard case for $300. Lent it to a young cousin and it disappeared some how.

Depending on your budget the whole Godin guitar line are worth a look; Norman, Art & Lutherie, Simon and Patrick, La Patrie, and Seagull, all from the north country.

Last edited: