Would an F50 Standard sound any different from higher end F50's

vastier

Reaction score
Good day folks.

Would a maple backed F50 Standard sound any different from higher end F50's with maple back and sides? Seems there is a difference in bling which makes one more attractive to the eyes. And the maple on the higher end F50's is more attractive, but does that make any difference in the sound? But otherwise is there a difference?

Those who have tired both, did you notice anything different? I am well aware that each guitar is unique within its own model number.

Allen Huang

Reaction score
umm...from what I've gathered from many knowledgeable people on this forum, things are actually a little more complicated.
From the very beginning, there had only been F50. Then there came F50R(F50's rosewood sister), JF65(the same spec with F50), JF55(the same spec with F50R), JF30(stripped version of F50, possible bracing change), F50 STD(from New Hartford era, several major spec changes, all the bling stripped), F50 Traditional (I didn't read much about it).
So, when you say "F50 Standard sound any different from higher end F50," you must be clear on which higher-end F50.
Nevertheless, my JF30, the cheapest little brother of F50 family, sounds like a boss.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Might be worth defining terms/eras. Are you comparing the Standard Series (made in New Hartford) to the Traditional Series (also made in New Hartford with some overlap in when both series-es were in production) or something else?

Two comments that may be relevant. During the New Hartford years my local dealer refused to stock any maple instrument (regardless of brand and factory) unless he personally played it first. He said that maple was too inconsistent. When it sounded good, it was very very good, but when it sounded bad, he could not sell it in the local market and had no interest in tying up capital in something that was going to hang on the wall for several years.

Mrs. Fro., with help from some LTGers, spent time comparing the F30 Standard and F30 Traditional in a "petting zoo" at the New Hartford factory. She ultimately went with the Traditional but the decision had nothing to do with sound/or tone. They both sounded the same to everyone who commented. This may or may not be relevant because IIRC both instruments were rosewood.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The F50 Standard from New Hartford was Guilds attempt to get the tone of the Traditional F50 model to the working musician crowd in a stripped down lower priced model. The N.H. made F50 Standard is very similar to the N.H. made F50 Traditional in the fact that they both have Scalloped Adirondack Bracing, Sitka tops, Laminated arched maple backs, Solid Maple sides, and beautiful Sitka Spruce tops. The differences are the F50 Standard has a Rosewood Fretboard and bridge, One piece Neck, different tuners, and no bling Headstock inlays w/dot fret board markers to name a few. The F50 Traditional has an Ebony Fretboard and Bridge, 3 piece neck, open back tuners, and of course the "G" shield headstock inlay and all the Bling inlays on the fretboard with different binding as well. Honestly I have played both and they are extremely similar in tone when compared side by side. If you did a blind listen test where someone played them both for you while you had your eyes shut I don't think you would be able to tell the difference or which one was which.

The F50 Standard is considered by many here to be one of the Best guitars Guild ever built out of New Hartford. They do list the Spruce as being AA graded where the traditional was listed as AAA graded but honestly I couldn't tell the difference in the two by looking at them. Most of the F50 Standards I have seen have some of the prettiest Maple and spruce on them that is evenly comparable with what came on the traditional models. I am sure Twocorgis and Neal will be along shortly to brag on theirs as they are both fans of the F50 Standard models.

Personally I came extremely close to buying a F50 Standard myself but I got lucky last year and found a Still Brand New F50 Traditional for sale in a Mom and Pop Shop that came with the full factory warranty and all the extras including the original High end case and such. I love being the only owner of a Guitar! I just couldn't pass that up so that was my birthday present to myself last year. I have never heard or played a Bad sounding Maple Guild, Especially anything that came from the New Hartford facility (2009-2014). They had some real magic going on at that factory and others here will verify that as well. My F50 is on my list of "Never Sell guitars no matter the situation" because honestly it sounds and plays so good I could never replace it. As a matter of fact it is the first guitar I grabbed this morning to play so once I am through with this post I am going right back to it!

Best of luck in your search and a F50 Standard is definitely worth your time should you decide to use it that way!

TX

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Exhibit A: Wood quality on a New Hartford F-50 Standard. Any qustions?

DSC_1944_zpssygbkxsy.jpg

DSC_1943_zpsdpd9tp2s.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, when I asked the question, I did mean to compare New Hartford models only.

That's amazing wood in those pics. Thanks

Txbumper summed it up excellently and the only other thing I always remembered about the Standards was that they had Satin instead of Gloss finished necks, but still NCL.
In fact I think they went to everything satin finished but the top, later in production.
(Somebody correct me if wrong)
(In fact, in that photo Neal's guitar actually looks like a satin top, no reflection, but might just be due to lighting or photo angle or something.)
Anyway, there might be a playability question if you prefer the feel of a gloss neck.
And some folks (primarily on the electric side of things) have said they can hear the difference between a rosewood and ebony fretboard, but I suspect like TX said that it wouldn't be perceptible to most of us., on an acoustic.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like my F-50 Standard a lot, and when a did a few open mics, the sound always got compliments. Twocorgis has an F-50 Standard which is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played.

Neal

Reaction score
Gloss top, back and sides on my F-50 Standard, Al. Satin neck. I can detect no appreciable difference in the feel between the satin neck and the gloss neck on my F-47R, produced one year later.

Very late in the production of the Standard Series, the back and sides were satin as well (from, say, July 2012 until Guild dropped the Standard Series in early '13).

Everything about my F-50 Standard has the look and feel of a high-quality instrument. Bone nut, saddle and bridge pins. Excellent neck set and fretwork. And the tone is big, full, deep, and articulate, just as a F-50 maple should sound.

I have all the bling on my F-50R NT, but for this guitar, with all that sunburst and flame maple "pow" going on, the addition of inlay, neck binding and fancy headstock might be a bit "over the top" for my taste. Plus, I got it quite a bit cheaper than a blinged-out F-50 Traditional.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
All I can add here is that I love mine, and for the money it's the best bang for the buck guitar I own. I'll also say that to my ears at least, the F50s from the New Hartford plant play and sound better than any of the F50s I've played that were built other places. It's a sight to behold, too!

21146519149_c119537a53_b.jpg

21307120786_dd76221b2f_b.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Those are both Gorgeous F50 Standards! One other Build details that New Hartford used on Both the F50 Standard and traditional is the use of a Mahogany neck whether it be a one piece on the standards or a three piece on the Traditionals. Most of the earlier versions used Maple for the neck. Personally I think the Hog necks bring a certain warmth and sustain to the tone of the New Hartford models that I find missing a bit in the earlier built maple neck versions.

I have both the F50R and the F50 Maple traditional models and when I play my F50 Maple It immediately reminds me of the tone that Dolly Parton gets on some of her recorded straight acoustic tunes. It just transports me to the Smokey Mountain tone I am so used to hearing out of that region and style of music. It also has an Amazing amount of volume to it that I think would fit right in or dominate a Bluegrass group. When you dig in you definitely don't have to worry about someone playing over you. Mine would be a match for any eager Banjo player out there in straight up acoustic mode. Then you add in the DTAR Multisource that it came from the factory with and the "amplified tone" is as true to the acoustic tone as I have ever heard out of a pickup. Here are a few pics of the wood on my traditional model to compare with the Standards that Neal and Twocorgis already posted. While I am in love with their burst finishes I also love the Natural finished back and sides with the tinted top that mine has.

QjrSKu.jpg
cYY4gJ.jpg

rdpdxp.jpg

TX

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Put up a plate glass mirror. Play in front of that and you will have the sound waves bouncing right back to you.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
WOW! Nice silking on that top TX.

Thanks Neal! Your's and Sandy's burst finishes have to be my 2 favorite Burst finishes of all time. I just love how the color comes to life and gives that 3D effect to the back and sides.

TX

Neal

Reaction score
Thanks, TX.

It is the first New Hartford Guild I bought, and the only one still in my possession (my F-47R is on loan to my performing partner). A lot of other NH Guilds have come and gone since (D-55, F-30, F-30 Standard, Orpheum 000, Orpheum 12-fret dread, Orpheum 14-fret dread). All great guitars, but only this one remains after I downsized my acoustic collection in favor of old Guild archtops.

It is the only guitar I ever bought new with full warranty (although deeply discounted at Rocky's).

Lady Texan first made me aware of its existance, and from there, I could not take my eyes off of the photos. Well, as it turns out, it sounded pretty good too. It is my main acoustic performing guitar, duties soon to be shared with my "new" '05 F-50R, now at the luthier's for a set-up and installation of a K&K.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Exhibit A: Wood quality on a New Hartford F-50 Standard. Any qustions?

DSC_1944_zpssygbkxsy.jpg

DSC_1943_zpsdpd9tp2s.jpg

Neal that is one deeeeelish looking Maple Guild. That would make a nice companion piece to my AB D-30. I never thought I would love maple as much as I do and in my estimation no one does maple like Guild. From the vintage F50 I played at Morrison Guitars a couple of weeks ago to the G37's I have played at guitar shows to my very own D-30 I am a fan and have never been disappointed in their Maple offerings..

Richard had a Tennessee orange D30 up on the block a while back and man I was close...

Either way, I could not tell you the difference between the ST and the Traditional. I am still just a noob on the journey to fully knowing the brand. I know what I like.. Kind of like wine and cigars.. The most expensive does not always mean the best..