Guild Liberator Elite Review

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup. It's done. It's long, but it's done.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/05/19/1988-guild-liberator-elite/

1988-Guild-Liberator-Elite-TopFull.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
Having owned and regretfully selling the base Liberator model I would recommend that model to anyone. Light, smooth 24 fret set neck with a smooth transition joint to the body, Dimarizo pups and a Muehler bridge and trem provided a easy to use trem. Another nice feature was the head binding.
I had decided to keep a NOS pearl colored Detonator with identical pickups and bridge and sell the Liberator.
Little did I realize how hard it would be to ever find another Liberator with that fast action 24 fret neck and smooth set neck joint.

M

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great Write up and review GAD! I too no longer have the want for one of these beasts, LOL! I'll stick with my perfect for me Aviator.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I've single-handedly destroyed the used market for Liberator Elites, huh? Well, at least I accomplished something. :victorious:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I've single-handedly destroyed the used market for Liberator Elites, huh? Well, at least I accomplished something. :victorious:
The truth shall set you free. How liberating.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As usual, I enjoyed that, GAD! Let me compliment you on your writing style - all of your reviews are very entertaining (as well as informative) to read!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
As usual, I enjoyed that, GAD! Let me compliment you on your writing style - all of your reviews are very entertaining (as well as informative) to read!

walrus

Thanks! My first editor tells me that's why my books sell well. I write technical books on computer networking using the same conversational tone sprinkled with anecdotes about my own stupidity that people seem to appreciate. Lucky for me I keep doing stupid things so I have an endless supply of stories. :emmersed:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This gets me thinking. If I was to one day peek over the Guild fence into the electric guitar yard, what would be a model to start with? All I got is the Br, and quite happy with her. No doubt this could be opening a can of worms for me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This gets me thinking. If I was to one day peek over the Guild fence into the electric guitar yard, what would be a model to start with? All I got is the Br, and quite happy with her. No doubt this could be opening a can of worms for me.

Not this one. LOL.

There are a lot of different electrics. Coming from the Acoustic side I'd be tempted to recommend a Starfire of any ilk that pleases you, probably a II or III since they're more acoustic than, say, a Bluesbird. A Starfire IV is almost the iconic Guild electric for me and a late-90s example will never do you wrong. An X-170 is even more acoustic-like.

If you want the traditional electric Les-Paul experience, a Bluesbird nails it in every way, and just about any of them are great.

If you want the thinner kind of slab-type guitar, it's hard to beat an S-100.

Just be wary of neck size. If you're used to acoustics with larger necks, some of the vintage Guild electrics have small 1 5/8" necks that can feel cramped after years of 1 11/16 or 1 3/4" necks. That's one of the main reasons that I favor the late-90 reissues.

I would probably stear clear of anything with a floating bridge (like this one) as a first electric because the first time you go to tune it you're likely to throw it out the window and never touch an electric again. :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks GAD. Will start researching the Starfires. Cool

dbirchett

Reaction score
Gary, I always enjoy reading your reviews even when, as here, it is of a guitar that I have no desire of owning. I do not like Floyd Rose, Kahler or any other locking vibratos. Give me a Bigsby or a traditional Fender (or G&L) and I am happy. But that is unquestionably a beautiful guitar. Good job, GAD!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gary, I always enjoy reading your reviews even when, as here, it is of a guitar that I have no desire of owning. I do not like Floyd Rose, Kahler or any other locking vibratos. Give me a Bigsby or a traditional Fender (or G&L) and I am happy. But that is unquestionably a beautiful guitar. Good job, GAD!

Thanks!

I love 'em all, though I do have some goofy predilections. I hate Bigsbies on a Les Paul, but I'm OK with a Floyd Rose. I don't want either on my Bluesbirds. I don't want a Guildsby on my Starfire IV, but I love them on my SFIII. I don't get the point of the SFII but I love a nice X170.

What can I say? I'm complicated. :subdued:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks!

...I don't get the point of the SFII but I love a nice X170.

What can I say? I'm complicated. :subdued:
SFII is a full thin line hollowbody like the SFIII; the X-170 has the center block. Carried on the T-100 tradition into the Starfire family. I'd love to find a Dyna-equipped one that I could afford.

Different strokes...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
SFII is a full thin line hollowbody like the SFIII; the X-170 has the center block. Carried on the T-100 tradition into the Starfire family. I'd love to find a Dyna-equipped one that I could afford.

Different strokes...

Oh, I understand what they are and why they exist - I just don't want one. It's kind of like how i don't understand how people choose to play the bass. Hang on - someone just dropped a ticking package at my front door...

:biggrin-new:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh, I understand what they are and why they exist - I just don't want one. It's kind of like how i don't understand how people choose to play the bass. Hang on - someone just dropped a ticking package at my front door...

:biggrin-new:

I'll bet anything that ticking package is ticking off tempo from where it should be. LOL!:distracted:

TX

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The new NS X-175 I got plays very acoustic. I would recommend that, based on it's price point, to an acoustic player, thinking of crossing over. Now, should you find a good USA made on, for not much more, all the better.