NGD 2010 D55 Burst

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting, first time hearing of Ronnie Earl. According to wiki, he first picked up guitar at age 20 in 1973. He was the lead guitarist for Roomful of Blues just 6 years later. That is quite an accomplishment. And fast. He must have had a natural feel. I am not a blues guy but really could tell instantly his approach is different. Real soulful. Patient. Right on.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting, first time hearing of Ronnie Earl. According to wiki, he first picked up guitar at age 20 in 1973. He was the lead guitarist for Roomful of Blues just 6 years later. That is quite an accomplishment. And fast. He must have had a natural feel. I am not a blues guy but really could tell instantly his approach is different. Real soulful. Patient. Right on.

Amongst a legion of greats, to me Ronnie Earl is probably the greatest of all. And perhaps his best quality is that he's a humble guy that doesn't care about being a star, he's just all about the music.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I couldn't make out the serial number but it looks like this is also the same famous guitar that is featured at the Guild Gallery site:

http://www.guildguitargallery.com/page-d55.html

It is the same guitar Merlin. That's pretty cool, Thanks for the link! Looks like this guitar enjoys the spotlight a bit between the Ronnie Earl connection and now The Guild Guitar Gallery.

TX

merlin6666

Reaction score
Congratulations TX! When we saw Ronnie Earl back in 2013, he had just received that identical guitar as a gift and called it "the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen" before playing this.

Is it know who he received it as a gift from? Was it from Guild or some individual?

RONNIE_EARL_05.jpg

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amongst a legion of greats, to me Ronnie Earl is probably the greatest of all. And perhaps his best quality is that he's a humble guy that doesn't care about being a star, he's just all about the music.

I just find it amazing that he became such a blues virtuoso after only 6 years. I know he studied blues and folk music since he was a kid, but just never picking up the guitar period till 20....quite cool. Did he ever talk to you about that part of his story Sandy?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just find it amazing that he became such a blues virtuoso after only 6 years. I know he studied blues and folk music since he was a kid, but just never picking up the guitar period till 20....quite cool.

Sorry for butt-inski but yeah some guys just get good wiring.
I hate 'em.
:glee:

merlin6666

Reaction score

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry for butt-inski but yeah some guys just get good wiring.
I hate 'em.

I had a friend like this, brilliant guitar player. Like his fingers were just so damn fast. And could pick up anything by ear. He also played a mean bass guitar, even stand-up bass. Great recorder/producer. Oh and did I mention song writer, etc...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I had a friend like this, brilliant guitar player. Like his fingers were just so damn fast. And could pick up anything by ear. He also played a mean bass guitar, even stand-up bass. Great recorder/producer. Oh and did I mention song writer, etc...
I was just talkin' 'bout the guys with good motor control.
I hate guys like your friend even worse.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

That's pretty much the case Cliff. Ronnie's just an extraordinarily talented guy. He really is the finest electric blues guitarist my ears have ever heard, and the secret is in the nuance. As Miles Davis once said "Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it's a different guitar then as I doubt he would part with a gift from his wife. Actually, the original owner of TX new acquisition was LTG member who sold it in this thread:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?170586-Sold-My-beloved-2010-D-55
Correct. Fellow LTG'er jazzmang was the original owner. AFAIK the guitar was one of the first D-55's produced in NH (2010) and received a little extra TLC. Those incredible pictures from Greenwoods listing were taken by Greenwoods, aka 'standingovation' from the Ovation Fan Club. He has a collection of Ovation guitars that boggles the mind.
http://www.ovationgallery.com/

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just an Update: This old Girl gets Sweeter and Sweeter the more she is played. I seriously doubt she has ever been through a "play in period" as I call it. Got about 15 hours on her right now and she is really finding her voice!

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just an Update: This old Girl gets Sweeter and Sweeter the more she is played. I seriously doubt she has ever been through a "play in period" as I call it. Got about 15 hours on her right now and she is really finding her voice!

TX

well, kind of disappointed you did not buy the F512, but happy for Awagner!

again, Tx, congrats on this D55.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
well, kind of disappointed you did not buy the F512, but happy for Awagner!

again, Tx, congrats on this D55.

That F512 Belongs with Awagner Wood. I honestly couldn't Justify buying it seeing as my New Hartford F512 is pretty much the cream of the crop in tone and playability for me. After 3 years of regular playing she has blossomed into the most Amazing guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love my F612 but if I had one wish it would be that the F612 had half of the Magic in it that my F512 has. I have really become a Believer in the Adirondack spruce bracing that was used from Tacoma through New Hartford production and the little extra sparkle it gives the guitars. I was afraid if I bought that F512 that it would just stay in the case.

For example I have a beautiful JF100NT-CRV that is in Amazing condition but it stays in the case because after 4 years of playing my New Hartford F50R it has Blossomed Beautifully tone wise and the JF100 just can't compete with it. I guess it is a good problem to have regardless.

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That F512 Belongs with Awagner Wood. I honestly couldn't Justify buying it seeing as my New Hartford F512 is pretty much the cream of the crop in tone and playability for me. After 3 years of regular playing she has blossomed into the most Amazing guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love my F612 but if I had one wish it would be that the F612 had half of the Magic in it that my F512 has. I have really become a Believer in the Adirondack spruce bracing that was used from Tacoma through New Hartford production and the little extra sparkle it gives the guitars. I was afraid if I bought that F512 that it would just stay in the case.

For example I have a beautiful JF100NT-CRV that is in Amazing condition but it stays in the case because after 4 years of playing my New Hartford F50R it has Blossomed Beautifully tone wise and the JF100 just can't compete with it. I guess it is a good problem to have regardless.

TX

oh yeah, adi bracing, i bet that is fantastic. and is the bracing forward shifted too? scalloped?