Laminate question

docfishr

Reaction score
Can one of you knowledgable Guild lovers tell me if the laminates used to produce the arch backs at the Westerly shop were made from layers of the same or differing woods?
For example: Were the Maple arched backs made of layers of just maple? Or did they sandwich a layer of something like ash in there?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
According to Hans Moust, the two outer layers would be of the appropriate tonewood (say, mahogany for a D-25 or maple for a G-37), and the middle layer would be a filler of soft maple, poplar, or some other inexpensive wood. Some might then question whether there would be tonal differences between mahogany vs maple laminates... In my experience, comparing my D-25M and G-37Bld, both made in 1974, there were marked differences...

docfishr

Reaction score
According to Hans Moust, the two outer layers would be of the appropriate tonewood (say, mahogany for a D-25 or maple for a G-37), and the middle layer would be a filler of soft maple, poplar, or some other inexpensive wood. Some might then question whether there would be tonal differences between mahogany vs maple laminates... In my experience, comparing my D-25M and G-37Bld, both made in 1974, there were marked differences...

Could you please elaborate?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I owned my '74 D-25M and '74 G-37Bld for about 10 years each... and played each extensively during that time. The D-25 had a spruce top, and laminated arched mahogany back. The G-37 was spruce topped, with laminated arched maple back. They also differed slightly in bracing around the neck block (see here...).

Tonally, the D-25 was louder, punchier, with more overtones and a strong bass... almost a "dark" sound. The G-37 had a softer tone... with great note separation and clarity.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I currently have three semi-hollow Ibanez electrics, two of which have bodies made of laminated maple while the third's body is laminated mahogany. Acoustically the maple-bodied guitars are mid-forward, throaty sounding instruments while the hog-bodied guitar is lighter & brighter sounding. This translates to their amplified sounds as well. This is the opposite of what I expected given my experience with solid maple vs. solid mahogany back & sides guitars.

-Dave-