I probably won't be criticized TOO harshly for it HERE...

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
...but my knee-jerk reaction is to want to slap a BiSonic into every bass I own (though I haven't yet done so).

Is this some sort of compulsive mental disorder resulting from too much time in the woodshed with my Starfires?

Why, then, wasn't I warned?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
is a bisonic the pup used in guild starfire basses?

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Yah, they sound lovely. But you do need a little contrast in your arsenal!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I have put bisonics into fenders, gibsons, ibanezes, epiphones, etc. Always the same result... incredible wonderfulness! It gets especially interesting when you start mixing them with other types of pickups too. One of my favorite experiments was my fender Mustang that wore a bisonic in the middle position and a dimarzio model one humbucker in the neck position. That was a seriously EPIC tone!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
you could put one in a Fender bass like Berry Oakley of the Allman Brothers. extra points for wearing a GD t-shirt while playing it!

7G2Wgx.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
No problems with that. I spend most of my time with the Novak BS-DS in a solid body. I switch to the '67 Starfire and get reminded of that growl that comes from a semi-hollow body. I switch to the Pilot for a completely different sound but then it's back to the Betts with the Novak.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"One of my favorite experiments was my fender Mustang that wore a bisonic in the middle position and a dimarzio model one humbucker in the neck position. That was a seriously EPIC tone! "

I have an MIJ Mustang reissue with Nordstrand NM4s in it. They sound better than the stockers, but it's still somewhat lacking, at least to my ear. If I do swap a BiSonic into anything, that is my most likely candidate.

So, did you just enlarge to the stock route on yours and place the BiSonic there? How did you like it before you added the Model I?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I have an MIJ Mustang reissue with Nordstrand NM4s in it. They sound better than the stockers, but it's still somewhat lacking, at least to my ear. If I do swap a BiSonic into anything, that is my most likely candidate.

So, did you just enlarge to the stock route on yours and place the BiSonic there? How did you like it before you added the Model I?

Mine was an MIJ as well! Absolutely loved the feel of it, but the stock pickup wasn't the greatest thing in the world. It was usable but sounded a little to thin to my ears. I enlarged the cavity to take the darkstar. It sounded great on its own of course, but at that time especially I was all about experimenting and I'm glad that I was! The outcome was one of my favorite sounding basses to date. The nice thing about the model one is that it can be set up for coil tapping, so I wired up a 3-position mini toggle that allowed me to choose between either or both coils. The coil toward the neck was rwrp with the darkstar and it cancelled the hum perfectly. Not to mention the BEASTLY, throaty tone this combination created.

Here is an instrumental tune a buddy and I wrote/recorded for a school project. At this point I had already added a DeArmond "Mickey Mouse" single coil in the bridge position, but the bass was set to the hum-cancelling DarkStar/Dimarzio setting mentioned above. Especially when the heavy guitar rhythm chords kick in, you can really hear the aggressive, fat tone this bass was capable of...
https://youtu.be/tkAxVuZcXu0

pmQWHoPXj

Last edited:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Holy Cow: that be one UN-gelded Mustang! Thunderous bottom end! My Mustang sure don't sound thet-a-way.

Some of that tone has gotta be due to the low-frequency resonance of your dog, though.

Nice work!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
great picture of the mellow German, and the mellow German Shepherd! and really good playing in that video man

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thanks, gents! And technically Jenny is the mellow BELGIAN shepherd, which actually has a really nice ring to it 😆 I love her infinite gaze in that photo