PSA: NS Bluesbird Review In Vintage Guitar's October Issue

DrumBob

Reaction score
My review of the Newark Series Bluesbird Ice Tea Burst will be appearing in the October issue of Vintage Guitar magazine, which should hit the stands later this summer. Obviously, we work far ahead. My feelings were, nice guitar, plays good, sounds good, no finish flaws or issues, good build quality, but I chose not to buy it and shipped it back to Guild this afternoon. As usual, the folks at Cordoba were very cooperative. It's clear that people there function best working through email instead of the phone, but that's OK. They are terrific folks to deal with.

I hope you'll all check it out when it's published.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I look forward to it!

As for communication, I find the following sweeping generalizations to be fairly accurate:

People older than me (I'm 52) tend to like to use the phone.
I like to use email.
People younger than me tend to like to text.

Figuring out who likes to communicate using which means can be maddening! When trying to get contractors to work on my house, they're all 100% phone based. I like to put things in writing (email). That's why nothing gets done. :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
As usual, the folks at Cordoba were very cooperative. It's clear that people there function best working through email instead of the phone, but that's OK. They are terrific folks to deal with.

Interesting observation. I recall several threads about Cordoba being unresponsive that can be summarized as:

• They are not answering my email.
  • Did you try the phone?
  • I called and talked to someone and my problem is solved.

As for communication, I find the following sweeping generalizations to be fairly accurate:

People older than me (I'm 52) tend to like to use the phone.
I like to use email.
People younger than me tend to like to text.

Figuring out who likes to communicate using which means can be maddening! When trying to get contractors to work on my house, they're all 100% phone based. I like to put things in writing (email). That's why nothing gets done. :)

I am exception because I despise the telephone and will expend a tremendous amount of effort to resolve an issue without the phone.

I have found, however, that working effectively requires a knowledge of the preferred communication pathway of the other parties. If I want to get something done then I make an effort to identify and use the other party's preferred method. But if I don't care I will stick to my preference, even to the point of sending email that starts with "Got your voice mail. What do you mean by...."

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am exception because I despise the telephone and will expend a tremendous amount of effort to resolve an issue without the phone.

I have found, however, that working effectively requires a knowledge of the preferred communication pathway of the other parties. If I want to get something done then I make an effort to identify and use the other party's preferred method. But if I don't care I will stick to my preference, even to the point of sending email that starts with "Got your voice mail. What do you mean by...."

I agree with everything here. I generally dislike the phone and the only time I really use it is for calling my wife when I'm on the road. The kids will use it to call me when I'm picking them up somewhere since they've finally figured out that I won't answer a text when I'm driving.

Figuring out the preferred path is key.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the phone. I talk faster than l type, and l like hearing my friend's voice.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Getting people on the phone at Cordoba is frankly, a PITA. So, I discovered that email seems to work best. I realized also that they're in California, and I have a great deal of experience with the casual lifestyle and methods of doing business out there. No offense to west coast members, but they just don't seem to have the "get it done now" mentality that we have in the east, it seems. I've seen examples of this for years. Maybe it's wrong, but I don't think so.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bob,

I think people in California feel pressured to use the NEWEST technology to communicate. So many are early adopters of new gadgets. Perhaps because much of the TV and movie industry is here, as well as the high tech companies. Maybe that also means there are a lot of the " It's all about ME " people out her too. I wouldn't be surprised. I was the LAST person in my department to get a "smart phone", and being in IT, that got me some snickers from the peanut gallery.

DrumBob

Reaction score
John...What I've found that a lot of people in California have adopted that, "It's cool, I'll get it done when I get it done, and I'll call you back at some point" mindset. As I said, I mean no offense to anyone, but that's been my experience.

Even old friends of mine who grew up in New Jersey and now live in California have succumbed to that way of doing things. I like California, and am quite sure I could be happy living out there, but I do get a charge out of the way people sometimes act. Someone once said that Californians live for today, because they never know when the Big One might hit.

Of course, some Californians think we're crazy in the northeast, because we want everything done yesterday. :playful:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Whenever I spend any time in CA I can't help but chillax. :) Of course this wasn't the most productive way to go about things when I was working out there, but nowadays I'm in no hurry…

-Dave-