Guildsbys are now available.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Want a sunburst X-175 with a Bigsby?

Want to put a Bigsby on your Aristocrat?

Want to convert your Starfire IV?

Don't want to cannibalize another guitar?

I just checked on the Guild site and they are now making the Bigsbys, excuse me, Guildsbys available as parts.

The aluminum B60 is only $79.99. I'd jump on that if you are looking. That may be missing a "1".

The B7 or B70 is $169.99 in aluminum and $199.99 in gold.

The non-tension bar was listed in literature as a B60 so I assume that it is the imported licensed version. The hike in cost for the tension bar versions may mean that they are US made. Who knows?

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
So, did a drawer of vintage Guildby's just drop in market value or go up? If the trend on vintage Guilds verses reissues us any indication they would go up in value. Still...seems like they would drop in value.
M

dbirchett

Reaction score
I think that they are just making them available since they are being used on the Ce-100D, X-175B, Starfire III, Starfire V and Starfire VI. I don't think that these are vintage ones. There are no B6/B60 equivalents in Gold and, coincidentally, there are no current models that use that Guildsby. The others are all on current models.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If the tension bar model they're selling is the one in the picture on the site, it's the licensed version.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What are the chances that these are made from the same material as the old ones? I'd grab one just because but I don't want pot metal crap. Unless, you know, the original ones were pot metal crap in which case hooray for vintage correctness!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a few of the NOS American Made Guildsby B6 models from New Hartford. Two in brushed aluminum and two in Gold for future projects if I need them. I have seen the "Newark Street" or Korean made "Licensed" versions in person and while they are functional pieces I don't feel they are of the same Quality of the American made versions. If I had a choice between a Non Guild branded regular Bigsby B6 or the Guild import licensed version I would probably go with the Non Guild Branded version for Quality and reliability reasons. I have never had an original Bigsby or Guildsby that when properly installed and set up wasn't spot on with returning to tune after heavy use. I have heard of a few issues from folks with the Newark Street versions having issues with everything not being as Precise as it should be. Still for the price they are offering if you want to go easy on a budget they maybe worth a shot for some folks. At least there is an option now for Newark street owners if they want a Tremolo.

TX

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What are the chances that these are made from the same material as the old ones? I'd grab one just because but I don't want pot metal crap. Unless, you know, the original ones were pot metal crap in which case hooray for vintage correctness!

They're all made out of aluminium. The main difference is that the USA made ones are sandcast, just like P.A. Bigsby used to make them, and the licensed ones are machined out of aluminium. I prefer the US ones myself because of the classic look, and they work just fine. From a manufacturing standpoint, the Licensed ones are more consistent because they're made by CNC-alike robots, so every one is identical with no room for human error. The US ones, especially in the last 10, 15 years have become a little more annoying to install, because the hole for the hinge pin is not always drilled straight, so you really have to be careful when installing them and center the actual plate and bar, centering them on the lip that attaches to the guitar's rim is not a great idea.

The ones on my old guitars are all 60's B6 types, and they're all drilled perfectly straight, and very well made. 50's and 60's Bigsbies also have the removable string pins so the whole thing can be dissassembled for repair and maintenance/lubing, and the removable pins also allow you to string through the bar if you prefer. Later and current Bigsbies have the pressed in pins that are not made to be removed.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That's interesting, Walter. You know, it occurs to me that I've never really owned or spent appreciable time with a Bisgby any newer than 1974. I never knew the new ones didn't have removable pins.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The string through option that Walter referred to is now becoming a Standard feature on some of the Newer Bigsby models, especially the ones Gretsch has been using for the last year or so on their Professional series. That really makes string changes a lot easier without the need for any special tools.

TX

Stephen

Reaction score
Is there a Bigsby (Guildsby) whose mounting screw hole spacing will perfectly match the spacing of the original Guild Harp mounting screw holes on a Newark M-75 Aristocrat?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stephen, in a word....no. An Aristocrat doesn't really work with a B3/B6 type (single roller) Bigsby either, so not only would the hinge screw pattern on the side/butt end of the body be different, installing a B7 type Bigsby would involve drilling (at least) two holes in the guitar's top too.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Walter, do you think it would work to put a B3 on an Aristocrat without adding any screws in the top? Seems like it should... I put a B11 on a ES339 without screwing it down on top, just a couple of felt dots.

But, I'm sure the holes at the tail pin would not line up with the existing ones.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Some people have gotten a B3 to work with the Aristocrat but it isn't recommended. The B7 equivalent is what Guild used. If you have a vintage one, then you might hold off. But remember, as nice as they are these are easily replaceable MIK guitars. If you want a Bigsby the B7 is what you want. Use a Reverend low tension spring and you are set.

Here is a thread from Gretschpages by a guy that put on a B7 on a Black Aristocrat. He unsuccessfully tried a B3 first, http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-guitars/ngd-guild-m75-aristocrat/51087/page1/

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone advise me as to what kind of Bigsby is closest in dimensions to the"Guildsby" that came installed on the S-100 DeLuxe? I just bought a '73 S-100 on Reverb and would love to install a trem - but I don't know which would be the best fit and also if any of them would cover up the holes left by removal of the slanted stop-tail...

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone advise me as to what kind of Bigsby is closest in dimensions to the"Guildsby" that came installed on the S-100 DeLuxe? I just bought a '73 S-100 on Reverb and would love to install a trem - but I don't know which would be the best fit and also if any of them would cover up the holes left by removal of the slanted stop-tail...

Hello d25s100,

Welcome! The Bigsby/Guild vibrato units that were originally used on the S-100 Deluxe models were converted B-2 models.

http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/parts_detail.php?id=38

You could try to find an original B-2 and cut it down yourself, but you would still need the extra tension bar.

You could also cut down an original B-9 and you will already have the tension bar. It will work the same, but it will not look exactly the same as Guild did it.

If you have an S-100 with the slanted tailpiece already installed, I don't think the B-2 and the extra bar (or the B-9) would cover up the screw holes of the original tailpiece, but with a little touch-up work they won't be really noticable.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

dbirchett

Reaction score
Hans, Not a metal worker but would there be any problem with cutting down one of the current Bigsbys that Guild has available through their site? They are listed as being polished aluminum.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, Not a metal worker but would there be any problem with cutting down one of the current Bigsbys that Guild has available through their site? They are listed as being polished aluminum.

No, there would not be any problem even if you're not a metal worker. If you are somewhat of a 'handyman' you can saw off part of the Bigsby base.
After that you can file out the saw marks, sand and polish it till it looks shiny and new. Over time the shiny part will become dull looking just like the rest of the unit.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

GSFV

Reaction score
I’ve got a Newark street Guildsby. Mine works great. I don’t have any tuning issues (unless the strings are old). It has recently gotten creaky though, which is annoying. I’m going to see if some lithium grease won’t take care of that. But if you’re wanting to add one to a guitar and want it to say guild instead of Bigsby, it’ll get you there for sure! I’ve become addicted to the darn thing. But so far no complaints from my church band/congregation.

It is my first guitar I’ve had with one. I like it, but it does seem to have less vibrato/pitch adjustment than my friends Bigsby on an epiphone. Is there any way to increase the amount of pitch adjustment on a guildsby? If not, would a regular Bigsby be able to replace my guildsby without any new holes? I’d love to get a little extra “wiggle” room.

Any advice?