Guild Flying Starr X-88 Crüe Review

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild Flying Star X-88 Crüe Review

Time for another walk down memory lane and this time it's with the Guild X-88 guitar of many names.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/06/27/guild-flying-star-x-88-crue/

Guild-X88-Crue-TopFull2.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Flim Flam Man

Reaction score
Great write up as usual, these guitars remind me of the extravagance of the times, kind of like the fins on Cadillac's in the 50's and 60's. The X-88 would be the 1959 Cadillac.

1959-Cadillac.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As usual, enjoyed that review immensely! I love (most of) the 80's!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome Write Up GAD! Thanks also for the Kickstart My Heart Intro sample! Fond memories of being at a Friend's house in the garage with my Hot Pink Peavey Tracer II (which I still Have), My Peavey Rage Practice amp, and his 5 piece Pearl drum set. We might not have played it right but we were definitely Louder than anything and at the time we were legends in our own minds! Some of the best memories I have are from that time and "Kickstart My Heart" was one of the songs on the Soundtrack of my youth. Also remember the Bad A$$ Music Video on MTV with all of the funny cars blowing up at the drag strip. What a time to grow up. Thanks for triggering a trip down memory lane Amigo!

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all! And yes, Kickstart my Heart was just for you, TX.

Too young to fall in love was a surprisingly difficult song to learn.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome and hilarious review, Gary! This is probably the most stabbity looking of all the metal-era Guilds, and it wouldn't surprise me if you found that some of the damaged, bumped, and bruised points had faint blood stains. I myself could never wield one of these fast and sporty numbers because it would look as incongruous as stuffing a buffalo into a Lamborghini. Also, if I were to strap on one of these super pointy axes, it would be nothing but rock-rock-rock . . . shred-shred-shred . . . kill-kill-kill! But hey, I'm lucky that glam metal was never my thing, although I do admit to practicing my fair share of fretboard tapping and Floyd Rose dive bombs. Because as you mentioned in your article, guys loved the girls who loved them, right? Oh yeah, and lots of drugs. What was I thinking.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Crüe vs. Crew

Do we know the history of the endorsement deal? While it is probably human error and the limitations of the typewriters of the time, I have seen this kind of thing done for intellectual property reasons. In this case the misspelling lets Guild suggest an endorsement even after the agreement had expired.

You should really spend some time dealing with multiple basses and cases. Your comments about size and instability are pretty much a daily occurrence with solid body basses and cases.

Thanks for the review. It was a fun read.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GAD, fantastic job as always! just one question, do u take requests??? u have left out the Crue's most legendary tune of them all, "Girl, don't go away mad (just go away)!"

Flim Flam Man

Reaction score
Why aren't Guild guitars of this ilk regarded like the Charvels, Jacksons and Kramers of the time, they had some big name endorsees and are probably better built than any of those.

Note: I am pretty ignorant when it comes to Rose equipped shred/metal guitars.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
looks super dangerous if you have young kids running around the house :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, fantastic job as always! just one question, do u take requests??? u have left out the Crue's most legendary tune of them all, "Girl, don't go away mad (just go away)!"

That song would require some layering as it's more than just a single guitar at the beginning.

Crüe vs. Crew

Do we know the history of the endorsement deal? While it is probably human error and the limitations of the typewriters of the time, I have seen this kind of thing done for intellectual property reasons. In this case the misspelling lets Guild suggest an endorsement even after the agreement had expired.

You should really spend some time dealing with multiple basses and cases. Your comments about size and instability are pretty much a daily occurrence with solid body basses and cases.

Thanks for the review. It was a fun read.

The catalog/flyer of the day (courtesy of Grot) shows it as Crue:

NewGuitarchitecture-S270-S284_1600.jpg

looks super dangerous if you have young kids running around the house :)

It's dangerous hanging it at eye level with adults in the house!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome and hilarious review, Gary! This is probably the most stabbity looking of all the metal-era Guilds, and it wouldn't surprise me if you found that some of the damaged, bumped, and bruised points had faint blood stains. I myself could never wield one of these fast and sporty numbers because it would look as incongruous as stuffing a buffalo into a Lamborghini. Also, if I were to strap on one of these super pointy axes, it would be nothing but rock-rock-rock . . . shred-shred-shred . . . kill-kill-kill! But hey, I'm lucky that glam metal was never my thing, although I do admit to practicing my fair share of fretboard tapping and Floyd Rose dive bombs. Because as you mentioned in your article, guys loved the girls who loved them, right? Oh yeah, and lots of drugs. What was I thinking.

""The most stabbity of guitars" should be a marketing point.

F312

Reaction score
Excellent review, still waiting for the S 284 Aviator review unless I failed to notice it.

Ralph

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
How appropriate is the last line of that Guild ad?! "Look out!" :smug:

walrus

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very cool, GAD. Makes me want to play one, if only for the novelty value.
Reading your review reminded me why I kind of quit playing guitar for awhile in the '80's!