X170 help and questions

jiagap

Reaction score
I have an Axe-FX II XL+. I think you may be the only other one here with a FA unit.

If your amp sims are the same as mine, try the ODS100.

Yes, love Fractal amp options. I have banks of patches for my various guitars, as different amps react differently to the different guitars. Working on my x170 banks. I will deffinitely give the ODS100 a shot. Any particular BMT settings you recommend?

I am getting used to the10s on it and may keep them.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, love Fractal amp options. I have banks of patches for my various guitars, as different amps react differently to the different guitars. Working on my x170 banks. I will deffinitely give the ODS100 a shot. Any particular BMT settings you recommend?

I'm generally chasing specific song tones and generally don't treat the amps like real amps where I'm tempted to twiddle knobs.

CharleyRich

Reaction score
Guild Total
I plug my x-170t into a Laney vc30-210 tube amp. It sounds very nice to my ears.

-Charley

jiagap

Reaction score
Fickle me.

When I first bought this beautiful X170 it came with flat wound strings. I immediately took off the flat wound strings and put on some blues 10s. I liked the action better but it lost some magic. After a week I decided to take the guitar back, just did not "feel" right. To take it back I put the flat wound strings back on it so I would return is as I bought it. Before I took it back I fooled around with it for awhile. The magic was back. Started liking her for who she is. She is a different kind of beauty.

I was trying to force her into my way of playing. Once I understood her for who she is and modified my approach, she became alive producing a style and tones that are unique yet glorious in their own way. I now repent of trying to make her something she is not and officially welcome her into the fold. She compliments my other ladies.

I am curious what strings Greg is using on this video... this is delicious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-bvgJoBRc

-----

Also, here is a pic, hope it works:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0e99effa42ab53ee96f6a9982d16ecfe&oe=59ECD00A

dbirchett

Reaction score
You may want to try the ground roundwound strings to strike a compromise between the regular wound strings and the flatwound. I use the D'Addario 10-52 with mine.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It may be the gauge of the strings that's giving you the magic. Maybe just try heavier round-wounds.

Reaction score
When I first got my x160 rockabilly, it had flatwounds on it too.
I played them for about a week.
I could never get used to the feel, or the lack of sparkle on the bottom strings.
Switched to round wound 11s....yeah baby!
I tried DR pure blues, they were good...put on a set of D'Addarios, and there was the magic!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've learned over time to hang onto guitars, even if the sound isn't quite there, so long as they're structurally sound and play & feel good. I don't think there are many genuine dogs out there. Some guitars just prefer certain kinds/gauges of strings, and in the case of electrics certain amps. Sometimes I figure out what the guitar likes pretty quickly and easily, other times it takes years and multiple experiments. Sometimes I eventually give up too, deciding the guitar isn't worth the continued effort.

-Dave-

X-170AB

Reaction score
I've played my X-170 with both roundwounds and flatwounds, in both cases 12-52 nickel strings. I settled on roundwounds for that guitar, which lets it go from jazz to blues to almost Gretsch-y jump blues and rockabilly.

Jough

Reaction score
On my X170 I have D'Addario halfrounds, E string is a 12. It really is a matter of personal preference. A friend of mine plays 9s on his Super 400 and sounds amazing. I like the extra beef to ensure that I don't break too many. Actually have not broke a string in about 20 years.

Jough

Reaction score
As amps go, I have a few. I like the Music Man 50 watt with the tube power section and 1x10 speaker. Most of the time I use a Roland Cube 80. It has great jazz sounds and is loud enough for a big band without breaking my back. It has good reverb and delay and built in effects, including a very good chorus and octave.

jiagap

Reaction score
I continue to be blown away by how SWEET this X170 is, and that I almost gave up on her. Played it again today at church, she was beautiful - remarkable tones and very solid built guitar. This is the most unique of all by guitars. The only thing I think I am missing is an occasional use of a bigsby vibrato. How difficult is it to add something like that to a beautiful X170?